Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.21.2013, 07:34 PM   #16821
dale_gribble
100%

dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses

dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2013, 10:07 PM   #16822
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
just wanted to say, that cronenberg movie i posted above is so good (for my taste anyway) i listened to the whole commentary. that guy is amazing!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2013, 10:41 PM   #16823
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Purely out of interest, do you like Cronenberg's early horror stuff? Rabid, Shivers, stuff like that. Just that I love those but can't stand his more recent stuff so I'm wondering if it's a vice versa thing for people who like what he's doing now.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2013, 09:15 AM   #16824
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Purely out of interest, do you like Cronenberg's early horror stuff? Rabid, Shivers, stuff like that. Just that I love those but can't stand his more recent stuff so I'm wondering if it's a vice versa thing for people who like what he's doing now.

oh, damn, i love his early stuff, i've even watched stuff he did for canadian tv and found it excellent ("the italian machine"), and would watch his stuff from the 60s if i could but it's hard to find.

the first thing of his i didn't like was "spider"--- i even fell asleep i think. maybe i didn't understand what he was mumbling or something. but anyway, that's my only "wtf?" experience with his work.

the thing that rabid, the brood, scanners or videodrome had in common is that they were a) cheaply made, and b) written by cronenberg himself. so you're watching cronenberg by cronenberg and the productions have this sort of guerrilla feel that tells you "hey, outsiders can make movies too." it's kind of punk in this sense. but he's just gotten so good at it now that you can't tell his french/german films from his hollywood work. he still works very cheaply, his crew is amazing that way, and it's the same crew since the 80s.

i like that he's not afraid of using other people's material though, which he has done more as he got older. any writer has obsessions that get repeated over and over (many painters too), so i don't want to watch cronenberg make 20 versions of the same movie, like the guy in that wim wenders movie who can't stop watching his own dreams.

opening up to other writers has bproduced great work and has made him continuously interesting for me. he can hide his own obsessions behind other people's, and this adds more layers instead of being always the same shit (which is good shit, just, doesn't have to always be the same). it's like cloning yourself vs. having children-- yes, the children all are different, and some take after their mother, or their father, or are an even mix, but none are the same.

i don't see his progressive refinement as a bad thing or a betrayal of his principles-- yes he's no longer 30 and he doesn't have to make movies on a shoestring, but he does what he can with what he has and is very conscious about every detail of his work. to me he's one of the few people who has made time their ally and keeps getting better with age. his level of craft is simply extraordinary. in a world of hacks who do things for all the wrong reasons, he remains a true artist.
Old 04.22.2013, 01:00 PM   #16825
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Me and the wifey were killing time until the new Mad men yesterday and so we watched this

It was a lot different from how it was marketed. I remember in 1992 this was being sold as a laugh a minute romp with Joe Pesci, but it is a lot more serious and heavy than that. I give it 7/10. My wife said it seemed like a tribute to a lot of good actors who were no longer getting quality roles in '92. That is a good way to describe it. Not bad though.
Old 04.22.2013, 02:47 PM   #16826
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh, damn, i love his early stuff, i've even watched stuff he did for canadian tv and found it excellent ("the italian machine"), and would watch his stuff from the 60s if i could but it's hard to find.

the first thing of his i didn't like was "spider"--- i even fell asleep i think. maybe i didn't understand what he was mumbling or something. but anyway, that's my only "wtf?" experience with his work.

the thing that rabid, the brood, scanners or videodrome had in common is that they were a) cheaply made, and b) written by cronenberg himself. so you're watching cronenberg by cronenberg and the productions have this sort of guerrilla feel that tells you "hey, outsiders can make movies too." it's kind of punk in this sense. but he's just gotten so good at it now that you can't tell his french/german films from his hollywood work. he still works very cheaply, his crew is amazing that way, and it's the same crew since the 80s.

i like that he's not afraid of using other people's material though, which he has done more as he got older. any writer has obsessions that get repeated over and over (many painters too), so i don't want to watch cronenberg make 20 versions of the same movie, like the guy in that wim wenders movie who can't stop watching his own dreams.

opening up to other writers has bproduced great work and has made him continuously interesting for me. he can hide his own obsessions behind other people's, and this adds more layers instead of being always the same shit (which is good shit, just, doesn't have to always be the same). it's like cloning yourself vs. having children-- yes, the children all are different, and some take after their mother, or their father, or are an even mix, but none are the same.

i don't see his progressive refinement as a bad thing or a betrayal of his principles-- yes he's no longer 30 and he doesn't have to make movies on a shoestring, but he does what he can with what he has and is very conscious about every detail of his work. to me he's one of the few people who has made time their ally and keeps getting better with age. his level of craft is simply extraordinary. in a world of hacks who do things for all the wrong reasons, he remains a true artist.

You make too good a case for me to even attempt any kind of counter argument. I suppose it's just a prejudice on my part. I like Cronenberg's earlier stuff because I have a soft spot for those kinds of movies generally, so it's probably less about liking one Cronenberg era over another. And he's certainly a filmmaker I respect (perhaps more now than ever - for reasons you cover) even if I'm not really into what he's currently doing.

3:10 to Yuma (orig)

I think I mentioned this earlier on the thread but just rewatched it. A simple but brilliant Western. Far better than the recent remake.
Old 04.22.2013, 10:29 PM   #16827
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses

Just finished rewatching that gem.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2013, 10:29 AM   #16828
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
And he's certainly a filmmaker I respect (perhaps more now than ever - for reasons you cover) even if I'm not really into what he's currently doing.

if you can, get the dvd for videodrome and watch the whole thing with the commentary track on. same thing with crash. same thing with existenz or everything he does. he's fucking great. really, give it a try. will blow your mind. he's an incredibly smart guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler
Just finished rewatching that gem.

uhler? damn! back from the dead??
Old 04.23.2013, 12:15 PM   #16829
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
if you can, get the dvd for videodrome and watch the whole thing with the commentary track on. same thing with crash. same thing with existenz or everything he does. he's fucking great. really, give it a try. will blow your mind. he's an incredibly smart guy.

I don't need convincing of Videodrome, which I love. I'm less convinced by Crash or Existenz, though, so I'll give them another go - via the DVD commentaries, as you suggest. I suppose my general thinking on Cronenberg is that he was a raw talent with some spectacularly great ideas but not a great director. As such, I started losing interest in him when he started moving in a direction where his limitations as a filmmaker started to reveal themselves. But then it's obvious, given the films I gravitate towards (simple, largely action-based stuff) that Cronenberg's more recent output would largely leave me cold.
Old 04.23.2013, 12:25 PM   #16830
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I don't need convincing of Videodrome, which I love.

yes, but it's not about convincing you that videodrome is great-- it's that the commentary track on it is so fucking excellent! it's a real pleasure to listen-- it's like, i don't know, remember sitting at the lectures of your favorite university professor? except that he's an artist and not a philosopher. like that.
Old 04.23.2013, 12:29 PM   #16831
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm less convinced by Crash or Existenz, though, so I'll give them another go -.

Jeez, how could you not like Existenz, Jennifer Jason Leigh at her most luscious...
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.23.2013, 12:49 PM   #16832
demonrail666
invito al cielo

It's cool; I know you're not trying to convince me of anything. I generally love DVD commentaries and can think of numerous occasions where they've swayed me towards a film I've previously not been fond of (Planet Terror being only the most recent instance). There's actually very few films I consider beyond the pale, and my default setting is that I always want to like whichever film I watch, so anything that increases that likelihood is most welcome.
Old 04.25.2013, 11:00 AM   #16833
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses

I thought commie Superman would be a bit cooler....but...nah...much like the American superman....THough I loved this...uhh...."animated comic". Anyways....a few plots holes(braniac and the shrinking of a Russian city)... unless I missed something(I did fall asleep halfway through and finished later on that night). The end also reminded me why I love Superman so fucking much.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2013, 11:11 AM   #16834
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
my car broke down yesterday (cracked radiator) and I had to take it to the shop. while I waited for thr repair work at home I watched this cuz I really liked Pitch Black.

I give it a 6/10. There were parts I liked a lot, and parts that were inexplicably WHA?????? Good for an afternoon trying to de-stress after a shit morning.
Old 04.28.2013, 09:27 AM   #16835
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2013, 09:35 AM   #16836
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
we watched THE ROOM in blu-ray the other day
it still just as bad as its always has
but damn, look at all those spoons!!
Old 04.28.2013, 05:31 PM   #16837
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses

2/10

One of the worst films I've ever seen, vacuous and visually ugly, it's so bad it's not saved by Depardieu's good acting. WTF with the Adjani scenes (which are supposed to be reminiscent of Godard and especially Pierrot le fou I guess, at the very least Pierrot le fou was visually amazing...).
Old 04.29.2013, 08:10 AM   #16838
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Not that good. 3/10

wish it was more hardcore.

(EDIT) - Changed it from a 5 to a 3/10 It was really stupid scientifically. REALLY stupid. anyone else seen this piece of shit?
Old 04.29.2013, 06:57 PM   #16839
dale_gribble
100%

dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Not that good. 3/10

(EDIT) - Changed it from a 5 to a 3/10 It was really stupid scientifically. REALLY stupid. anyone else seen this piece of shit?

i liked it, but i'm not as educated about science as you and i'm also not a harsh movie critic in general.

dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2013, 07:18 PM   #16840
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Not that good. 3/10

(EDIT) - Changed it from a 5 to a 3/10 It was really stupid scientifically.

Have you seen Looper? I didn't take much notice of the science but a friend of mine who's into that kind of thing says it drove him insane. I'll have to ask him what he thought of Prometheus. I quite liked it but, like dale gribble, tend not to really pick up on the scientific details.
742792832839840841 842 843844845852892942 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth