Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Anyone else heard Real Estate?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.09.2009, 07:53 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
NOT to be confused with sunny day real estate, this is a new band from new jersey that seemed to have captured summer in their sound. Using just the right amount of reverb and slide it gives this great hazy mellow vibe to it. Imagine if Yo La Tengo were really into surf and early REM and you basically have this band.

I've been playing their cd ever since I got it, its perfect for unwinding to.If you haven't heard em yet, now's your chance below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfi2HJGziAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH2ubTDV8D4
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2009, 08:09 PM   #2
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
matt mondanile also does music as Ducktails.

http://www.thetripwire.com/tripwiret...pleasant-live/

look for yr very own dnd in that video. lol

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2009, 10:07 PM   #3
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I enjoy Real Estate, their album is good stuff. Do remind me a bit of Yo La Tengo, though.

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2009, 12:11 AM   #4
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
They're alright, I really liked their singles, but I can't listen to an album's worth of them, I realized.
Old 12.11.2009, 08:08 PM   #5
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Their first single was the most regrettable purchase I made this year. It was like wallpaper music....so easy to sublimate, so hard to remember.

Haven't heard the LP.

Saw 'em live in San Francisco last month. They got added to a show with Eternal Tapestry, Barn Owl, and Moon Duo at The Hemlock sorta last minute. It was a couple days after Pitchforkmedia named them the best new band of 2009. This was completely unbeknownst to me, so it was quite a surprise to get to the Hemlock and find a line out the door. I was thinking...gee, did my friends in E Tap just get really popular all of a sudden??

Fortunately, I got noticed by the soundguy/co-owner of the place and brought to the front of the line. I've helped his band out in my town before, so it was a perfectly timed kharmic cash-in.

We got in there to see Real Estate. They were pleasant. A couple songs were pretty appreciable, but mostly, it was far too pleasant for my tastes. On their better songs, I was reminded of the first album by Indian Bingo, or maybe even Whatfunlifewas by Bedhead....but less melancholic than either.

A buncha these P4k-kneepads-wearers threw up the clichéd rawk hand-symbol and held bottled microbrews and PBRs to the sky like we were at a Skynyrd show. Half the room cleared out by the time Eternal Tapestry kicked into second gear. It was incredibly disrespectful and annoying. But surely Real Estate were not to blame for that!

I suppose I'll gladly book 'em a show if they ever come through Sacto. They'd be great to play with the Ganglians. High schoolers will come out on dates. It is total "girlfriend rock".

My regional bias may have a little to do with it, but I believe that the Ganglians are the class of this trend of summery/shimmery/"beachy" pop that is often attributed--albeit wrongly--to following the Wavves wagon.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.11.2009, 08:09 PM   #6
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Also, as far as "girlfriend rock" is concerned, this band is the most incredibly underrated by both girlfriends and their other halves....

http://www.myspace.com/theaerosols
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2009, 07:36 PM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I like this band a lot, but I liked DJ Rick's posts in this thread more.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2009, 05:26 PM   #8
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
they're alright but i much prefer ducktails
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 12:02 AM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I don't hear anything similiar between this poppy band and Ducktails. Why are these bands grouped together? Just because of a vaguely (VERY vague) surfy vibe?

But yeah, sure, Ducktails is way better.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2009, 02:25 AM   #10
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
They're mainly linked because the Ducktails dude is in Real Estate too
Old 12.29.2009, 04:00 AM   #11
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know yet what to think of the album. I enjoyed some of the ducktails stuff but Real Estate hasn't got me into a liking mood yet.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth