Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Listening to new songs live before they made it on an album
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.08.2008, 02:52 AM   #1
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Okay so, when you have heard songs played live before they have a studio version, don't you always feel disapointed when you hear the album/EP version? Because there's not the same energy, too much production, etc?

I take the example of Animal Collective for instance, last year I listened to lots of Strawberry Jam songs live on bootlegs, and then when I finally heard the studio versions I was kinda disapointed, because I thought the vocals in Peacebone missed that energy, the explosion in Cuckoo Cuckoo was not so powerful, etc. (finally with the time I got used to those studio versions and now I love them) Right now I listen to loads of new boots were they play all those incredible new songs, and I fear I'll be disappointed when I'll hear the album. But Animal Collective is not the only band that does me this impression...

Do you feel the same?
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 05:08 AM   #2
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
no!
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2008, 07:37 AM   #3
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Saw Sonic Youth a week or so before Thousand Leaves came out. They played the whole thing, then Death Valley '69. Then adios.

All that new material, and such dense material, was too much to take in at once. Great great show, but it would've been cool to have been familiar with some of the songs.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2010, 07:23 PM   #4
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses
Panda Bear's latest stuff...

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2010, 08:52 PM   #5
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
shit.. sleater-kinney were doing some fucking bad ass, sonic nurse kinda shit live, and the album was ehh in comparison.

honestly, I don't enjoy hearing new songs live, I prefer to hear them on an album and get to know and feel them, before they transfer into live energy, that is except for improvisation/jamming kind of tunes, where as those are purely live and rarely translate well onto an album. That is why both I think the S-K stage show did not translate well into the Woods (which was a good album but not quite the stage show in 2003) and why Sonic Nurse is such a fucking gem of an album (because it DID translate live energy onto the record)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Saw Sonic Youth a week or so before Thousand Leaves came out. They played the whole thing, then Death Valley '69. Then adios.

All that new material, and such dense material, was too much to take in at once. Great great show, but it would've been cool to have been familiar with some of the songs.

exactly

I also enjoyed a Shannon Wright album Over the Sun for this, because in 2002/2003 she had a simply WILD stage show, which was on none of the albums, so she made the album to give us the stage show, and it worked brilliantly, but then again, Steve Albini recorded it so that says a lot..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth