Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Do You Believe In Leaking?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you think it's right to dowload Rather Ripped?
Fuck the little shits that leaked it 12 10.81%
No...Just no 21 18.92%
I don't care 22 19.82%
It's good that it's available to the people who want it 42 37.84%
Fuck yea! 14 12.61%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.12.2006, 07:29 AM   #1
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Personally I think that some of the artistic qualities of the album are derived when downloading in opposition to just waiting and buying it. Album art generally enhances the reasoning for an artist to release an album. Whether it's about message, sound, mood, etc, the packaging often will portray it in a different medium of artwork. Diplo released one of his albums (Fabriclive 24) in a tin case filled with cards talking about the album and artist inside it, and that makes it forever better in my opinion. There's nothing like going home with a new album, putting it in, and lying on your bed observing the artwork.
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 07:50 AM   #2
dark globe
empty page

dark globe has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
fuck yeah!
the thing is, it really doesnt matter, everyone here is gonna buy it anyway.
but i can see why people wouldnt like it, but i dunno, its the times we live in nowadays i guess.
dark globe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 08:03 AM   #3
stylishlyviolent
empty page

stylishlyviolent has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I don't see a problem with it. Hell, there is no worse way to ruin an album than for you to wait forever for it and then to be let down. I don't buy an album for the artwork or the smell or whatever people argue is better, all I want to hear is the music.

I'm sure there is plenty of people who are like this. They've supported Sonic Youth for years and will buy this too even if they download it. Sure, you'll get some kids who will download and won't pay, but hey, they probably wouldn't have bought the album anyway.

I don't see what everyone's huge problem with this whole thing is.
stylishlyviolent is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 08:06 AM   #4
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
i don't think it's right but sometimes it helps the artist. like in the case of fiona apple. extraordinary machine was leaked long before a release was in the works. the leak got fans to request a release from the record label. fans got their release...
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 08:17 AM   #5
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i dont know, i'll download it anyways whatever its like, i just miss the days when you were pure excited coming home from the record shop with your brand new CD, slappin its on and listening to it begining to end about 12 times (i usually book the day off work and chill liatening to it all day) in this respect i would like to wait till it comes out, but for the past few times i've been waiting for a CD to come out i downloaded it first and was kicking myself afterwards, not because the CD was crap or anything but just cuz i couldnt wait till the release date..
Old 04.12.2006, 10:09 AM   #6
rocky
bad moon rising

rocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's asses
I find the internet as a music repository to be very positive.
nor do i mind when albums leak, but the ever-burgeoning trend of albums always leaking, earlier and earlier, is not really something i look forward to.
It's boring like that.
Old 04.12.2006, 10:09 AM   #7
strictlycommercial
bad moon rising

strictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's assesstrictlycommercial kicks all y'all's asses
I on the other hand do by the album for the artwork & the smell. Getting an album devoid of context like that is a completely different experience, it's what you do with oddities & band's you've never heard before but your freinds seem to like, music to toy with. I really need to get an album to enter it's headspace.

So no, just no.
strictlycommercial is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 11:25 AM   #8
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
I havent it yet cause i dont care to have it now, but I think that's not problem sharing it before the official release BUT NOT HERE! at the end everything is going to the net. then I think all we are the first that will buy it when released so why not a preview?

I think the world needs new laws about internet problems. but the sharing should be free and all right.I'm paying many € to use an ADSL connection every month. unluckily I'm paying someone I hate!
next step is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 12:09 PM   #9
amyvega
bad moon rising

amyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's assesamyvega kicks all y'all's asses
oh please, record companies and publicists leak shit all the time, albeit in a more controlled manner (although at that point it's out of their hands anyway)
amyvega is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 12:14 PM   #10
HairwayToSteven
children of satan

HairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's assesHairwayToSteven kicks all y'all's asses
I just think it's pretty disrespectful to SY to talk about it on their own site. I don't agree with it at all, but people will download it anyways due to their impatience.
HairwayToSteven is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 12:22 PM   #11
xpressway2yrskull
little trouble girl

xpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's assesxpressway2yrskull kicks all y'all's asses
I've downloaded leaked albums in the past and even though I bought the album on release date it totally ruined the excitement for me. I'm sure no band would appreciate it either.
xpressway2yrskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 01:10 PM   #12
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
i remixed the new flaming lips album a month before it came out, so guilty as charged. eh, i wouldn't have bought it anyway...

i'm a big fan of buying the album the day it comes out, though. it feels cool, being able to do it. that's what i did for "hail to the thief", "sonic nurse" and "secondman's middle stand".

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 01:14 PM   #13
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really care... But it must be so frustrating to artists who worked long in an album to see it on the Net before its issue...

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 01:16 PM   #14
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Yea, I don't normally download leaked albums. I have, like someone sent me the new lips... I didn't mind becuz I had decided I had other things to buy anyway (such as priest driven ambulance, which is way better)/
As for a sonic leak I won;t bite that. Sonic youth is like my favorite band so I don't need to rush myself. At most I might download a single track or that song they'll play on gilmore girls.

Was this thread started becuz ripped has been ripped and leaked already?
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 01:18 PM   #15
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Pretty much, theres a bunch of threads floating around providing soulseek users to download it off of, and it gave me the idea to start it.
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 01:34 PM   #16
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
that's bogus. Esp the part about spreading it here. Seems kinda unkosher.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 01:41 PM   #17
stirling
bad moon rising

stirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's asses
I think I would download just about anything except a new sonic youth album.
stirling is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 02:32 PM   #18
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
I don't get leaked stuff. The only thing I ever got was Cat Powers cd, and I only listened once.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 02:47 PM   #19
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
I never listen to leaked stuff.
Old 04.12.2006, 03:39 PM   #20
Soundtrax
bad moon rising

Soundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's assesSoundtrax kicks all y'all's asses
i think leaking a copy of yet unreleased album is as bad as it can get. if i were the first to put Rather Ripped on the internet, i could not forgive myself for doing that... but if its there, i am gonna take it!
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth