Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page World Music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.12.2007, 04:42 AM   #261
sarramkrop

http://www.radiodiffusion.net/7.html

<p>

Love You Lonely

Anyone who has picked up a copy of either the Cambodia Rocks or Thai Beat A Go Go series (as well as the recently released Thai Pop Spectacular) knows that South East Asia had a really impressive music scene back in the late Sixties and into the Seventies. And for those of us who have really dug in deep, are also aware of the amazing records from Brunei, Malaysia, Indonesia and even Vietnam...

But there are a few countries that I never see records from, much less find... Laos was one of them. The surrounding countries of Cambodia, Thailand and Vietnam all had vibrant music scenes... Why not Laos?

Well, it might have had something to do with all those bombs the U. S. Armed Forces were dropping on their country (more than all of the bombs dropped during World War II), and the North Vietnamese Army invading from next door.

When I found this record, I thought it was most likely from Thailand, but I was not entirely sure... So I scanned it in, and e-mailed it to my friend Wanchai ‘Guy’ Udayachalerm. He e-mailed me back and told me that it was not in Thai, but in Lao and that the only thing he could make out was “Made in Laos”.

The only information I have is what a previous owner wrote on the back of the record. So, I am not 100% positive that the artist’s name is Chanthara Outansakda.

If you have any information, please contact me.

Enjoy.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2007, 09:45 AM   #262
sarramkrop

La grande Vedette Malienne Kandja Kouyaté et l'Ensemble Instrumental du Mali

Side A
Yolele
Guede

Side B
Mayouba
Sarddiga

This cassette is perfect in almost every way. It makes me want to drop acid and burn incense or something, it's so smokey and dark and surreal. Like late Coltrane.

The distortion here and there on the second side is the bummer (it's the recording and/or tape, not computer fuzz).
http://awesometapesfromafrica.blogspot.com/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2007, 07:57 AM   #263
sarramkrop

Made in Dakar?

"This is the latest chapter in one of the world’s most heartwarming musical stories – the saga of a group of musicians who have wowed audiences in stadiums, festivals and concert halls around the world, but who have retained the warmth, the spontaneity and essential humanity of the truly local band."

Check out the new versions of old Baobab classics recorded for the new release:
Ndeleng Ndeleng/New Version
Cabral/New Version

Now listen to the originals:
Ndeleng Ndeleng/Old Version
Cabral/Old Version

You decide...

Made in Dakar is wonderfully recorded and sounds great - Jerry Boys' production is always top notch. I'm also seeing them on tour in the UK in late November. But knowing the old recordings which I've come to love and adore its hard to get truly excited. I really wish I was there first time around.
http://matsuli.blogspot.com/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2007, 08:00 AM   #264
sarramkrop

Charles Rodriguez & His Psychedelic Organ

It took me months to find Charles Rodriguez but I eventually did. "Samy, I found the guy you are looking for..... what his name again?" On the other end of the line the legendary Melome Clement. "We all knew him, he use to hang at our concerts all the time, but i didn't know his name."
About a year earlier I had bumped into a strange looking single. Strange because it was released with a Decca label Sticker but for another label named Alofty Music, which apparently was a shop in Lagos. I had never heard of that Label before and no one in Nigeria had ever heard of that shop...obscurity was total. The two sides of that single are quite similar, while most prefere Side.1 I had fallen in love with the flip Side, "L´amour ne s´achetes pas" (You can´t buy Love) and its amazing Organ Solo (Listen Below)

Melome and myself took a commuter to Ouidah on the very next morning and met the guy that I have been searching for so long. At the entrance a sign board saying "Bar Charlie". A very happy chap, warmly welcomed us:

"You Know Samy, This Bar use to be hot. I am from a highly regarded family so all the heavy guys who wanted a rest in Ouidah, came here for a drink or two. Politicians use to spend their nights sleeping here on the terrace, under the palm trees with their "maitresse". But then everything came to a halt when I had a very severe car accident. I was in a coma for 13 days and had to stay 8 months at Boni hospital. I had saved Three millions CFA, its all gone now. They even cut the light because I couldn't pay my bill."

Charles lived on a very nice parcel of land, on it, two beautiful old houses. He showed us around. We entered one large room painted in a light green, on the ground, carefully laid against the wall, picture frames. Photos of the deceased relatives of the Rodriguez family. In front of the central picture, old brandy bottles, fruits, candles and some other bizarre stuff. I suddenly realize I was in a shrine.

"This is the picture of my grand grand father, Joachin Jacintho Rodriguez, he is buried here. He was a Portuguese trader, he used to ship slaves to Portugal and other european regions. He also had huge lands in Porto Novo, that area is today the center of the town and still carries his name, Jasin. My father was a renown doctor in this region, Fernando Candido Fernandez. We used to be a highly influential family around here so I´m sure you can imagine the reaction when they found out I wanted to be a singer. You will become a dagga smoker, you will be a beggar etc, It was very discouraging. I still believe my family betrayed me. I´m sure that I would have reached something with music.

I started my musical career in ´58 or ´59. At that time Nel Oliver, a friend, was playing with the Daho Jazz Orchestra at the Cheklebo Bar In Cotonou, so I joined him as a vocalist. Few month later I joined a Zairian band, Los Cubano Fiesta which was a Rumba band. We traveled to Lomé in the early 60´s and from there further to Abidjan in the Ivory Coast, I later moved to Accra where I formed a band called Ufredas, I was the bass player. At that time Ignace de Souza and his legendary Black Santiagos were the resident band of the Ring-way Hotel in Accra, I teamed up with them and we moved to Abidjan. I stayed with Ignace till late into the 60s and then decided to come back home. All I found was angry family members telling me "you are the son of the Rodriguez, an Agouda (portuguese ancestry), no no no its not possible, you are spoiling our family's name", this and that."
http://analogafrica.blogspot.com/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2007, 08:13 AM   #265
sarramkrop

00:00 Gyedu-Blay Ambolley -this hustling world
04:10 Marijata -break through
09:10 George Danquah -just for a moment
12:48 Rob -more
18:00 The Apostles -black is beautiful
22:30 Ebo Taylor & Uhuru Yenzu -victory
26:40 K. Frimpong -kyenkyen bi adu m'awu
33:33 Ebo Taylor -peace on earth
41:10 Gyedu-Blay Ambolley -fa no dem ara
45:45 George Danquah -araba soso wo ndzema
49:58 Bunzu Soundz -zimabu
53:10 CK Mann -ahejde

http://voodoofunk.blogspot.com/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2007, 11:50 AM   #266
takatita
empty page

takatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's asses
Hi,
My First Post!
Excellent thread for discovering new music. Here's something i came across, its from a series called African Pearls, there are different volumes for african countries. This is a track from the Guinea volume. It has really blown me away because it was not what i expected at all!!

http://download.yousendit.com/EAB148015BFFE1FC

Check it Out!!!

Ta Ka Ti Ta.
takatita is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2007, 08:35 AM   #267
takatita
empty page

takatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's assestakatita kicks all y'all's asses
I listen to a lot of indian classical music, as you may have guessed from my screenname (known as bols they are syllables of the tabla drum, which can be and often are spoken aloud by tabla players who then play what they have said aloud).

Ayway, here is a track from a very old master of hindustani classical music, Ustad Faiyaz Khan. It is really quite incredible what the human voice is capable of, and i think ICM is probably one of the greatest exponents to showcase this.

http://download.yousendit.com/B0C8495516AB77DF

TaKaTiTa KaTiTa
Old 09.30.2007, 08:50 AM   #268
sarramkrop

Hello takatita and welcome to the Sonic Youth forum. Thanks for your contributions. I have downloaded the first one but I haven't listened to it yet. Nice to see someone new on this thread.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2007, 05:03 PM   #269
takatita
empty page

You've got to hear this! Its some great tabla improvisation to..greensleeves....!!!! Again, something i never expected, but turns out to be a treat :-)

http://www.divshare.com/download/2180780-9cd
Old 10.02.2007, 04:17 AM   #270
sarramkrop

Thanks takatita. I'ver finally listened to the stuff that you've posted from the Guinea volume and it's beautiful.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2007, 08:49 AM   #271
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Classic Hindi and Telugu songs from the 60s, 50s and 40s. They're Very low quality mp3s, but still worth checking out.

http://www.indianscreen.com/songs.htm
http://www.oldtelugusongs.com/search2/index.html
(on the bottom of the page you can browse all songs)
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.06.2007, 12:12 PM   #272
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Nice work takatita, hope you stick about. And the usual kudos to the regular suspects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 07:46 AM   #273
sarramkrop

Sardaigne ::: Cantu a chiterra

Courtesy of jimstr and AmbroseBierce at SFRP forum - Classic, Jazz, World
A traditional singing form from Sardinia, far away from the better known tenores singing

Francesco Demuru, Emanuele Bazzoni & Daniele Giallara: vocals
Bruno Maludrottu & Bachisio Masia: guitars

01. Cantu in Re
02. Nuoresa
03. Mutos
04. Galluresa
05. Filognana
06. Piagesa antiga
07. Canti in Re
08. Mi e La
09. Fa diesis
10. Si bemolle
11. Disisperada

Ocora C 560206

Sardigne – Cantu a chiterra.rar part 1
Sardigne – Cantu a chiterra.rar part 2

http://italianfolkmusic.blogspot.com...label/Sardinia
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2008, 11:41 AM   #274
sarramkrop

http://sitardream.blogspot.com/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2008, 03:28 PM   #275
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Heard this lass on Radio 3 t'other day. AMAZING.

Recommend the programme: Radio 3 listen again

One of these days I'll find a way to translate vinyl into a pretend format.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.18.2008, 04:24 PM   #276
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
after reading something about how good he was i bought an A R Rahman CD the other day, it was very bland.

i've been meaning to upload a file of stuff for this thread for a while but i keep not gettinng round to it, maybe now that i've said i'll do it i actually will get round to it.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2008, 04:32 PM   #277
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Sea Shanties.

I was upping them for a mate, but you reprobates might as well have them.
i know im almost a year too late but any chance of reupping this
i would be oh so obliged
thanks

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.18.2008, 04:43 PM   #278
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
i know im almost a year too late but any chance of reupping this
i would be oh so obliged
thanks

Certainly, but not right now. I'll up some other things while I'm at it.

Quote:
Old 03.18.2008, 05:02 PM   #279
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
thanks! i just got to looking through this thread and most of the things here are expired. but i have found some mega cool things.
cant wait!

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.22.2008, 05:24 AM   #280
sarramkrop

Le Mâalem M. Guinya (tape)

Side A - 21:45
Side B - 20:46

MC: La Voix el Maarif, Agadir, Morocco (LVEM 233)

Link (tape-rip @320kbs, 98mb, share.on.all)
http://infinity-in-sound.blogspot.com/
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
111213 14 151617 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth