Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page morrissey in istanbul...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.14.2006, 02:59 AM   #1
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
june 10, 2006.. saturday..
morrissey in istanbul..

expectation was high.. when i was in london in 2002, i had to miss out on the morrissey gig, i had no money i could spare for the occasion, and i was apart from my girlfriend.. morrissey's voice had accompanied our relationship for so long, it would've been a sin to go alone..

when i heard he was due to appear in the blah festival this year, i knew we were going.. we bought the tickets in advance, and started to wait for the day..

as murphy's laws dictate these aspects of life, a project at work required my attention.. it was a major opportunity for me, but at the same time it endangered the concert..

but it was morrissey, and i'd promised my wife..
it turns out my director was also a fan, and he was also planning to go as well..

i made it in just in time..

my wife was waiting for me with a beer in her hand, and a ticket for two more.. we got our beers, and moved closer to the stage..

moz appeared in a tuxedo, and in turkish he said "merhaba!" - hello.. he paused for a second and said, "zeki müren," much to everyone's surprise.. and the he called his own name..

zeki müren was a classical singer in turkey..
very ahead of his time..
read more here..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeki_M%C3%BCren

and this is zeki müren himself..

after that, the gig started with ‘panic’ and continued with 'the youngest was the most loved', 'to me you are a work of art', 'you have killed me', 'i will see you in far-off places', 'life is a pigsty' and 'let me kiss you' where the lyrics were changed to "i've zig-zagged all over istanbul..."

the smiths classics, 'girlfriend in a coma', 'still ill' and 'how soon is now' ...

ends the concert with 'irish blood, english heart'...

moz took off his shirt three times, and threw them at the audience..
we went wild, but we wanted more..

the gig only lasted for 80 minutes..
i was expecting to hear "last night i dreamt..", "the headmaster ritual", "there is a light that never goes out," "everyday is like sunday," - more of the classics..
everyone was dissapointed to see no encore..

my wife and i, we went home, broke out the old songs and some booze..
we'd seen morrissey in person, had heard his voice live..

next day i worked a straight 24 hour shift, and got sick after that..

kudos to fishmonkey, porkmarras, hayden and krastian..
it wasn't up to the expectation, rather dissapointing set list, but it was moz..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2006, 05:35 AM   #2
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
sorry to hear that man, reminds me of the time i saw The Stone Roses live in Cork Ireland, i was discussing it with a spanish lad i met in college who had seen em in Spain, he said it was a load of shit - this was due to Ian Brown's lazy vocals - and while we said it was a load of shit we both agreed it was the most beautiful shit in the world.

next day you worked 24 hours straight! fuckin hell what do you work at Candy?
Old 06.14.2006, 06:30 AM   #3
candymoan
the end of the ugly

candymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's assescandymoan kicks all y'all's asses
advertising..

it was on a sunday as well..
so, i couldn't see my wife for 2 full days..

i was determined to make it to the concert, no matter what..
morrissey was sweet, but he could've stayed longer than 80 minutes, and he could've chosen a better set list..

all in all, i saw moz live..
during "how soon is now," i thought i was going to melt..

now, i need to wait for pixies to come to istanbul..

i have a feeling the yoof won't be interested in coming back for a long time..

*/**
nothing here...

candymoan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth