Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sound-art/ found sound/ field recordings [etc]
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.11.2009, 05:40 AM   #1
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It seems I quite like a lot of the above. I've been playing Jacob Kierkegaard's Labyrinthitis a lot lately. It's some sort of sound art thing where he records the differential tones produced by his own ears. It's an incredible record.

Also (same label) I've been playing Chris Watson's Outside the circle of fire a lot lately.

A series of field recordings from various places. Highly recommended.

And, as some of you probably know

this is one of my favourite records ever. Four CDs of SW number station recordings. Does it get any better?

So yeah, have a thread for the kind of records that fall into the category of 'thank fuck someone put this pile of weird out'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2009, 05:46 AM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I am currently downloading something I can upload for you later that would be right up your alley if you like this stuff.

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Okkul...elease/1246626

it's a 3 disc collection of audio documents of paranormal phenomena including trance speech, direct voices, clairvoyance, xenoglossy, glossolia including ethnological material, paranormal music, "rappings" and other poltergeist manifestations as well as so-called "Electronic voice phenomena".

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2009, 05:48 AM   #3
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I quite like this "Genre", I've got some discs of people in the woods beating on trees and rocks. Can't remember the name, also I posted an album a while back by an acoustic guitarist playing Fahey-ish compositions but the main sound you hear on the record is birds chirping, cars passing by, etc, and his guitar is playing in the distance. Can't recall the name of that either haha. I guess that's part of the fun, a lot of it is so anonymous, just some random guy recording this shit.. there's a lot of stuff like this on archive.org, almost too much to investigate.

I definitely will check out the stuff you posted above, as I've been meaning to get into this stuff more. Like I said in the other thread, DOG POUND FOUND SOUND is the field recording to get if you want to hear some crazy shit. It's 2 1/2 hours (2 discs) of dogs barking, crying, yelping, screaming from an animal shelter. I could only take 2 minutes of it before I turned it off. THe most extreme recording I've ever heard.

Old 09.11.2009, 06:11 AM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I used to have a load of EVP recordings but I got rid of a lot of it in one of my periodical mp3 purges. I'll add the record you've mentioned above to my shopping list.

Did you ever hear this?

Yet another reason to love Tzadik.

The only problem I find is that in amoungst the strange ambient/ field/ found sound things there's a lot of total prickery. I really liked the idea of Aki Onda when I read about him, but what I've heard has severely irritated me.

I can't find any downloads of that dog pound found sound, which is a shame as it seems like the sort of agony I might well enjoy.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 09.11.2009, 07:32 AM   #5
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Ah, it's on slsk. I'd send it your way but I deleted it a few hours ago.

Is that the Dion McGregor record, or...? I don't recognize the cover.

Old 09.11.2009, 07:39 AM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Yeah, that's the one. I haven't used slsk for ages. They're on 157 now - the last time I used it it was 155. 'Mazing.

Quote:
Old 09.11.2009, 08:25 AM   #7
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
up the EVP's if you will please.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.11.2009, 08:37 AM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Aight, I will later, it's 260mb.

Old 09.11.2009, 08:42 AM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh, just did some searching and found a blog with all 3 discs:

http://post-paranoia.blogspot.com/20...ale-musik.html

enjoy.

Old 09.11.2009, 08:44 AM   #10
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
muchas greasy ass.
Old 09.11.2009, 09:14 AM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

Didn't sublime frequencies put out a few radio surfing jobbies at some point? Anyone heard them?

Quote:
Old 09.11.2009, 09:19 AM   #12
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

^^^ dunno, but I REALLY want that Conet Project disc.

big ups to ithinkimissyou and hip priest for even bringing number stations to my attention. if I had the money, I'd love to invest in a short-wave.
Old 09.11.2009, 10:11 AM   #13
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

http://www.archive.org/details/ird059

The Conet Project - Recordings of Shortwave Numbers Stations [ird059] ()

Old 09.11.2009, 03:54 PM   #14
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I definitely will check out the stuff you posted above, as I've been meaning to get into this stuff more. Like I said in the other thread, DOG POUND FOUND SOUND is the field recording to get if you want to hear some crazy shit. It's 2 1/2 hours (2 discs) of dogs barking, crying, yelping, screaming from an animal shelter. I could only take 2 minutes of it before I turned it off. THe most extreme recording I've ever heard.

I'm a little over 30 minutes in and both of my housemates have politely asked that I never listen to this record while I'm having a bath again.

Interestingly, there's load of little cuts and peaks on the record, which makes me think that (mp3 crapness aside) it was recorded so that there's minimal silence. There's the odd quiet whine or squeal that suddenly gets cut off and rejoins with one of the bass barks.

A friend of mine once asked me to make a tape for a friend of hers. It was the friend's birthday and she wanted to give her a tape that would really get on her tits. I ended up doing what I called a kitchen symphony (lots of clattering about in a kitchen) which was moderately irritating but, ultimately, still quite good. I should've given her this recording really.

I also listened to that Recordings Of Unseen Intelligences as well. I quite liked the glossolalia stuff and some of the trances but generally I wasn't so into a lot of it. Too much narrative, not enough strange noises. There was a thread Marras made about EVP, I'll try and find that tomorrow (going to the pub in a minute).

I've got some LPs of birdsong I could upload tomorrow night if anyone's interested.

Quote:
Old 09.12.2009, 04:20 AM   #15
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Didn't sublime frequencies put out a few radio surfing jobbies at some point? Anyone heard them?

yeah, they're ok but i much prefer their "normal" releases

for EVP my favourite things i've heard are Friedrich Jurgensen's recordings
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2009, 12:49 AM   #16
Aaaadrpk
bad moon rising

Aaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's assesAaaadrpk kicks all y'all's asses
Nice Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0qe3...eature=related

about stop motion, very cool =)

Aaaadrpk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2009, 05:20 AM   #17
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Glice, have you heard any Jeph Jerman stuff? He has about 5000 releases of field recordings and shit, he's pretty cool. He has this track called "Amplified Soup", if that gives you any indication of what he sounds like. There's some good shit where he goes into the woods and beats on rocks and twigs and stuff. My favorite project by him is CITY OF WORMS which is super super dark "field recordings".

Old 09.25.2009, 05:22 AM   #18
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

holy shit aaaaard, that video rules!

Old 09.25.2009, 06:02 AM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

City of Worms rings a bell - I'll take a look on slsk, I may have had a bash before.

I was going to bump this thread because I was listening to this last night:

Which is a recording of over 50 years of 2 minute silences recorded by the BBC. Which, as far as ambient recordings go, is pretty good. You also get a good sense of different recording techniques over the years.

Quote:
Old 09.25.2009, 06:06 AM   #20
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haha okay I'm definitely going to get that.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth