Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The music references in Juno
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.15.2008, 08:27 AM   #21
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
I saw the film and was neither impressed or dissapointed by it. It was fair, ok, good a 7 out of 10. The musical references don't make sense but honestly I was into the stooges,velvets,deadboys,television,heartbrakers,n ew york dolls etc... a long time before I really ''found'' sonic youth. And one thing that bugs me is when people say something is ''contrived'' and apply it towards the arts/entertainment industry. Most things in that area are deliberately created to entertain and make money or else there would not be that industry. I understand that often, especially in the ''mainstream'' books,movies,music, etc.. can have an overt sense of artificiality, but then again they are fictional and based solely on events that did not happen.

I agree that Juno was a bit contrived, but so is almost anything else unless it is pure genius, a perfect album or movie or novel. And really who finds these at a regular enough rate to write home to?
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2008, 08:30 AM   #22
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I was a bit lazy to use "contrived." Just in a good "art" experience I shouldn't notice the contrivance. Contrived is always there, but it should ideally slip past the viewer if everything is working. The music references just stuck out a bit oddly for me.
Old 01.15.2008, 09:23 AM   #23
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I hate this movie more and more every day. I thought it was just a disappointment at first, but the fact that no one shuts up about it, and everyone thinks it is the greatest thing ever bugs the shit out of me and makes me resent the movie.

"How many times have you seen Juno?"
"3 times"
"Lol, I saw it 4 times! I'm such a movie buff."

Everyone sees a halfway decent movie, and they all think they have some great insight into the world of film and won't shut up about it.

Yeah yeah, elitist elitist. It still bugs me because Juno really was not that good. Enjoyable, but nothing more.
Old 01.15.2008, 10:53 AM   #24
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, why the fuck do people keep talking about this movie? I'm really wondering. I'm not trying to be sarcastic: Tell me what's good about it. It looks fucking terrible. I'll eventually see it, of course, but it seems tailor-made for indie hipster idiots. Who cares?

Diablo's diabolical plan haha...yeah, I'll see it one day too. Because despite all the hype, it really does seem (thanks for the lowdown, gmku) like it's only so much pap anyway.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2008, 01:33 PM   #25
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by avantgarde1
yeah but sonic youth was on the gilmore girls.

he has a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I'll eventually see it, of course, but it seems tailor-made for indie hipster idiots. Who cares?

That's all that I found it really was. It was kind of like "you can stll be indie if you're pregnant". And Sunny Deight isn't really hip I don't think. And they did a horrible take on modern teen lingo.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth