Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Wire : 2007 Rewind 50 Records Of The Year
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.20.2007, 09:32 PM   #21
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
The Wire's end of the year lists get more and more predictable.

oh, so it's not just me.

there's definitely some stinkers in there, glad rhys and james blackshaw are in there, om is like the sleeper album of the year (no pun intended), if you keep count.

i am very surprised lil' wayne made the list and not, say, pharoahe monch who made an amazing record this year.

and animal collective made a better record than the last, that doesn't mean it's album of the year automatically.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 10:09 PM   #22
gohleekwang
stalker

gohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's assesgohleekwang kicks all y'all's asses
A boring best of.
gohleekwang is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 11:04 PM   #23
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
oh, so it's not just me.

there's definitely some stinkers in there, glad rhys and james blackshaw are in there, om is like the sleeper album of the year (no pun intended), if you keep count.

i am very surprised lil' wayne made the list and not, say, pharoahe monch who made an amazing record this year.

and animal collective made a better record than the last, that doesn't mean it's album of the year automatically.

i didn't hear the pharoahe monch, but i suspect weezy's album was better. in a lyrical battle, they would be great sparring partners, but often, monch's production and beats fall short. weezy, on the other hand, flirts with the beat, giving it a life it may not have otherwise had.

just sayin'.

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 11:15 PM   #24
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i don't know, the new one has some great beats and the songs that don't have beats have some interesting music to go with it.

for once, it integrates guitar leads in such a way that can school the rza in doing so.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 12:34 AM   #25
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
Wow. That's The Wire's best of 2007 list?

It could almost be a top 50 by the NME or Q magazine... (almost.)

(Does that mean The Wire's getting duller or the NME/Q are getting slightly more interesting? Hmm.)
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 12:37 AM   #26
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
I checked. The Wire's list officially agrees (partly) with Rolling Stone magazines top 50 of 2007.

Ooooooooooh.
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 03:59 AM   #27
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Whatever.

You're such a bitch. Unbelievable.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 04:03 AM   #28
sarramkrop

Do you guys really think that your end of the year lists are of any significance to anyone in major quantities, like, ever? I mean, unless you professionally write them, therefore throwing them from the catapult that is a mass media platform, do you seriously think that many people really care about them? I think not.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 04:05 AM   #29
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
How many people actually pay attention to them?
Old 12.21.2007, 04:08 AM   #30
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
13, and they all post here.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 04:17 AM   #31
sarramkrop

No indie answers, please. Enough of those.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 04:44 AM   #32
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
wow, best 2007 top fifty yet, I just saw SPINs and they give props to the wildhearts, black rebel motorcycle club and prince!???!!
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 04:51 AM   #33
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
I have no idea what most of these albums are, but what is this... The Terminals (as in "the great as fuck band from new zealand whom I thought were gone long time ago") have released an album this year?

yes
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 05:48 AM   #34
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
What's with The Wire's obsession with Burial? What's so interesting about this project indeed? Am I missing something?

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 06:02 AM   #35
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
i found new Burial kinda weak as well, to be on No. 2. where's Thurston's TOTA?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 08:24 AM   #36
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Not me. I am glad to see that there are others who don't get the Burial thing. I haven't heard the new one but the first one sound like coffee table trip hop that could have been made a decade ago. Utter tripe.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 08:29 AM   #37
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Agreed, especially on the decade old vibe of it.

edit: on the utter tripe part too.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 08:40 AM   #38
sarramkrop

Yeah, all the hype for Burial is really shocking. I was listening to Radio 1 late one night, and the disc jockey was drooling all over the ''Exclusive New Burial Second Album Preview!''. When she put it on I couldn't believe the blandness of it all. Iain, spot on about the ''coffe table'' remark. It totally is the work of people who hang around too many high street wine bars.

By the way, if anyone listens to Resonance Fm, did you notice the lapse in the quality of some of its programs that came about in recent times?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 09:52 AM   #39
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Whats with the Burial bitching? Both of his records are great.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 01:35 PM   #40
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i dont know, i rarely read the wire cuz its so fucking expensive and the articles are vry long (in comparison with other music publications) so i cant read them in a store, but i usually do rely on them to cover music which is different than all other publications. i do read their website articles though.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth