Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.21.2016, 05:48 PM   #19621
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Does Hi Rise follow a storytelling trope? It definitely does, I can't deny that, and I can't say why movies like Snowpiercer and Hi-Rise are just now getting their film adaptations when the literary source material (Snowpiercer based off a graphic novel from 1982, Hi-Rise based off a J.G. Ballard novel from 1975) have been around for quite some time. Isn't the post-apocalyptic story itself a reused idea? Isn't any movie's story only as successful as the way its told and presented? If not wouldn't everything that needed to be said about a repressed futuristic society have been said with "Metropolis"?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2016, 09:05 PM   #19622
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses

The Twilight Zone did it!
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2016, 10:47 PM   #19623
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Does Hi Rise follow a storytelling trope? It definitely does, I can't deny that, and I can't say why movies like Snowpiercer and Hi-Rise are just now getting their film adaptations when the literary source material (Snowpiercer based off a graphic novel from 1982, Hi-Rise based off a J.G. Ballard novel from 1975) have been around for quite some time. Isn't the post-apocalyptic story itself a reused idea? Isn't any movie's story only as successful as the way its told and presented? If not wouldn't everything that needed to be said about a repressed futuristic society have been said with "Metropolis"?

I get ya. Yeah. I think the reason these adaptations are happening now is because of the massive success of the Silo books by Hugh Howeyn (or whatever). People wanted to cash in on the theme before that movie came out. I've only read the first book of the Silo series (Wool), but from what I can tell the source material for both Snowpiercer and Hi Rise are vastly superior. I thought Silo read like the kind of book a retired tour guide from Florida would write. Which is exactly what it is.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.21.2016, 11:02 PM   #19624
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I get ya. Yeah. I think the reason these adaptations are happening now is because of the massive success of the Silo books by Hugh Howeyn (or whatever). People wanted to cash in on the theme before that movie came out. I've only read the first book of the Silo series (Wool), but from what I can tell the source material for both Snowpiercer and Hi Rise are vastly superior. I thought Silo read like the kind of book a retired tour guide from Florida would write. Which is exactly what it is.

see you were trolling so perfectly with the Die Hard thing but then you backtrack into a serious discussion..

Old 09.22.2016, 08:16 AM   #19625
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Cronenberg's Shivers feels pretty close to High Rise. Not an adaptation but it seems to push similar ideas. And of course he did Crash, which I really need to watch again. If Ballard has an equivalent in film Id say it's Cronenberg.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2016, 08:38 AM   #19626
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I thought the Judge Dredd flick was bad-ass
Old 09.22.2016, 08:47 AM   #19627
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I always laugh at that opening scene.

Wow really? The opening twenty minutes in Suspiria might be the best I've ever seen in any horror movie. My only complaint is that the remainder of the film never quite lives up to it. But then I don't think Argento has ever made a film that's great from beginning to end.
Old 09.22.2016, 09:21 AM   #19628
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Woah woah, nobody's saying it wasn't badass. It was TOTALLY badass. And again, that's an adaptation of classic, decades old source material. Whether it's the classic 200 A.D. version, or the Eagle version or DC or even IDW. Judge Dredd is badass and the DREDD reboot was like a antidote to the '95 Stallone film with freaking Rob Schneider (though I won't lie and say I wasn't waiting in line the day that film opened.)

While the 2012 version was still very loosely based on the hilarious and awesome comic, it was definitely a huge improvement and as a movie it kicked all kinds of ass. I loved Karl Urban as Dredd. Hoping they make another one of those at some point.

I just meant that it sort of followed the same "Try-Hard Die Hard" formula with almost everything taking place in the same building, but I don't actually think that was an attempt to capture the Silo/Wool vibe. Rather, it seemed to be a tool for making the film more minimal and focused on character and action.

And I liked Snowpiercer as well actually. I liked the comic, of course, but I liked the film too. It was beautifully made but had a very convincing "b movie" sheen to it. Reminiscent of A Boy and His Dog ad the like. I'm guessing I'll like Hi Rise too, as I like Tom Hiddleston (if not his choice in women), and I like the film's that the director seems to take aesthetic cues from (Clockwork Orange, Bond).

So I'm not hating. Just musing.

Also, this:

Old 09.22.2016, 09:52 AM   #19629
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Wow really? The opening twenty minutes in Suspiria might be the best I've ever seen in any horror movie. My only complaint is that the remainder of the film never quite lives up to it. But then I don't think Argento has ever made a film that's great from beginning to end.

Oh yeah, it's great! But the production foibles — though not as bad as some say — always stand out. I shouldn't say I "laugh my ass off" because that's not true. I'm usually totally wrapped up in the intensity of the scene.
But there are a few things that bug me... like, how does Tracy get from the inside of the building facing out, to that non-descript, caged-in area? And from there to the stained glass? And why, when she is hanged, does the rope tighten and suspend her twenty feet in the air, only to have her mere inches above the floor tile in the very next frame? And what's with the finger nails? Did the murderer fly off to quickly trim them between one moment and the next?

Little silly things, I know. I'm just always susprised that Argento — who painstakingly plotted every shot, even then — would not take the extra few minutes to make sure the scene went a bit smoother. Obviously Tracy's being pulled out onto a roof area, but from the outside looking in, there is no deck or widow's walk surrounding the apartment. So why not show her being transported if that's what happened? You know?

Again, it's probably among my top 10 favorite films of any genre of all time. It's fucking terrifying. And the Goblin score is one of the best and most underrated in horror history.

But you're right, from what I've seen Argento has never made a film that's consistently great all the way through. I think Suspiria actually is great from start to finish, but that's because I'm at peace with the filming kerfuffles and I just allow the excellent sinister mood to carry me through. So it's great in spite of Argento. And the rest of his films, though there are definitely some must-see slaughterfests in there, have flaws that are too big to be ignored.

Suspiria is absolutely a great, 5-star film despite its quirks. But I'll never understand why the audio doesn't sync up. Why does the audio never seem to sync up in Argento films, even when they're not dubbed? For such a masterful, perfectionistic and talented director, one who reliably creates thrilling and epic single shot sequences that play out like orchestras, he certainly fills his work with a lot of stupid mistakes. I'm afraid he's never going to live up to his potential again. Since Suspiria, his films have for the most part just gotten increasingly unwatchable. Have you seen Giallo? The Adrian Brody one? My God in heaven, what a fucking shitshow.

Love Suspiria though. Love love love it.
Old 09.22.2016, 10:07 AM   #19630
Severian
invito al cielo

They're remaking Suspiria by the way. Have been for a while now, so I imagine it's almost in the can. Tilda Swinton will be in it, presumably as the headmistress, which sounds pretty perfect. Still, I don't really understand the point of remaking films like this. While it could and should be awesome (Suspiria + modern effects + beloved modern acting talent), how many horror remakes actually are? Dating back to that ridiculous Psycho remake, it's been a losing game for everyone involved. I can see how it would work at the box office level with things like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but Psycho and Suspiria are not just slasher films, they're cinema classic. Works of art. Why bother?

For every good or decent remake of a classic (True Grit, Inglorious Basterds and 3:10 to Yuma being, in my opinion, examples of "good"; Evil Dead 2014 being "decent") there's COUNTLESS complete and utter fucking failures. Just a head scratcher for me.
Old 09.22.2016, 10:10 AM   #19631
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
meanwhile i have a korean movie called "the isle" which is supposedly one of the most erotic horror movies ever. i'll see about that soon enough....

erotic horror....hmmmm
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2016, 11:20 AM   #19632
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The thing that Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel always said, and which I always wholehreatedly approved of, is that Hollywood is a bunch of chicken shit fucks afraid to take a risk of any kind.

They stated that people should remake movies that failed, or sucked, or no one cared about, and make them BETTER, instead of remaking an already proven success.

A remake of something shitty like Ghost Dad would be great if it was good!
Old 09.22.2016, 11:56 AM   #19633
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
erotic horror....hmmmm

i'm getting some from these lists

http://illusion.scene360.com/movies/...horror-movies/

http://flavorwire.com/545577/10-of-t...t-horror-films

http://screenrant.com/best-sexy-horr...time/?view=all

etc
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.22.2016, 01:38 PM   #19634
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
t's probably among my top 10 favorite films of any genre of all time. It's fucking terrifying. And the Goblin score is one of the best and most underrated in horror history.

But you're right, from what I've seen Argento has never made a film that's consistently great all the way through. I think Suspiria actually is great from start to finish, but that's because I'm at peace with the filming kerfuffles and I just allow the excellent sinister mood to carry me through. So it's great in spite of Argento. And the rest of his films, though there are definitely some must-see slaughterfests in there, have flaws that are too big to be ignored.

Suspiria is absolutely a great, 5-star film despite its quirks. But I'll never understand why the audio doesn't sync up. Why does the audio never seem to sync up in Argento films, even when they're not dubbed? For such a masterful, perfectionistic and talented director, one who reliably creates thrilling and epic single shot sequences that play out like orchestras, he certainly fills his work with a lot of stupid mistakes. I'm afraid he's never going to live up to his potential again. Since Suspiria, his films have for the most part just gotten increasingly unwatchable. Have you seen Giallo? The Adrian Brody one? My God in heaven, what a fucking shitshow.

Love Suspiria though. Love love love it.

Bad Argento is fucking appalling, by any standards. I wasn't really criticising Suspiria. I love it too, even with its faults. But yeah, His more recent stuff like Giallo is just terrible. And generally, I think too big of a cult has been built around him rather than 90% of the films he's made.Maybe because Dario Argento, as a person, is scarier than 90% of the films hes made.
Old 09.22.2016, 08:39 PM   #19635
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
The thing that Roger Ebert and Gene Siskel always said, and which I always wholehreatedly approved of, is that Hollywood is a bunch of chicken shit fucks afraid to take a risk of any kind.

They stated that people should remake movies that failed, or sucked, or no one cared about, and make them BETTER, instead of remaking an already proven success.

A remake of something shitty like Ghost Dad would be great if it was good!

Hey man, Ghost Dad had its cheesy fun moments if I recall correctly.

Bet it would be downright terrifying watching it now... in light of.. well... y'know
Old 09.22.2016, 09:29 PM   #19636
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

Old 09.23.2016, 06:28 AM   #19637
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Creature From the Black Lagoon

A perfect thing.

My favourite monster movie bar none.

Apparently getting the remake treatment.

Cunts
Old 09.23.2016, 09:12 AM   #19638
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Come on man. Have you seen the one he's talking about? The 2012 version written by Alex Garland (Ex-Machina)?

The film was pretty well received. Not a major breakthrough or a blockbuster, but for an R-rated comic book adaptation, it landed quite well. And it was tons of fun. Closer in spirit to the source material than the terrible 1995 film (though still admittedly very far from it). I liked it. Quite a bit. A nice gorey shoot 'em up with great camera work and a lot of satisfying, tense moments.
Old 09.23.2016, 09:27 AM   #19639
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I saw that Dredd as a pure adrenaline vehicle, ,like the awesome mad max with that one armed bandit lady....
Old 09.23.2016, 09:49 AM   #19640
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

the Martian.. i ignored this for a long time because frankly i thought it would be stupid, and while it was more or less a copy of Apollo 13 i still surprisingly enjoyed it

882932972979980981 982 98398498599210321082 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth