Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth Album Advice
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.13.2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Highway 61
empty page

Highway 61 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I was wondering if one of you could give me a good starting place for a Sonic Youth album. I caught a show about a year back, and was blown away and have been meaning to pick up a cd since then, and now I'm going to do it.

Below are some of the bands I find myselef listening to the most, so hopefully this will provide some guidance as to which album to suggest. Thanks again!

I listen to:

Widespread Panic
PJ Harvey
Beastie Boys
Wilco
Ryan Adams
Dinosaur Jr.
Grateful Dead
Miles Davis (Bitches Brew, Tribute to JJ -- era)
Highway 61 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:42 AM   #2
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Hmmm, I started with Dirty, but I say start with Daydream Nation or Goo, and then work your way to their newer stuff, and then to their really old stuff like the amazing Whitey Album
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:45 AM   #3
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Pretty nice list of bands there. If you like Dinosaur Jr, you'll most likely enjoy the SY. I'd also say start with Daydream Nation.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:47 AM   #4
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Inhuman:

That's the same record I started listening to SY w/. I think it's the perfect starting place for anyone.

Highway 61:

Does your name have any connection to Bob Dylan's song, "Highway 61"?
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
Inhuman:

That's the same record I started listening to SY w/. I think it's the perfect starting place for anyone.

Yeah Dirty is a great place to start. Swimsuit Issue, 100%, Wish Fulfillment, and Sugar Kane are perfect songs for introducing. For me, I never actually liked it until about 2 weeks after I bought it. I find that with most SY albums, they grow on you a lot.
Old 04.13.2006, 10:56 AM   #6
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Hell, I loved every song from the moment I heard it. But I do know what you're saying though. It takes a little while to understand the magnitude of SY.
Well, I got the "Dirty" deluxe edition on LP before I bought the original releasing of "Dirty". Maybe that's why I liked it so quickly.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:57 AM   #7
Highway 61
empty page

Highway 61 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
Highway 61:

Does your name have any connection to Bob Dylan's song, "Highway 61"?

Yeah, Dylan is probably my all time favorite.
Highway 61 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 10:59 AM   #8
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
if you're enjoying electric period miles, you may find a nugget of enjoyability in the syr series.

other than that, i'd say start with sister, daydream nation, and/or goo. after that, just start grabbing wildly at whichever album's cover art gets you going.
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 11:00 AM   #9
Inhuman
invito al cielo

For me it was a pretty big leap in musical taste, so it took a little to adjust. I went from bands such as.... well...Linkin Park and stuff like that until my brother fixed me up and gave me some good bands. Now after a year, it changed my music taste completely and I'm much more musically mature, and now like artists like Einstuerzende Neubauten, 23 Skidoo, and Dalek.
Old 04.13.2006, 11:02 AM   #10
Kannibal
children of satan

Kannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's asses
of course, start with NYC Ghosts and Flowers.
Kannibal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 11:07 AM   #11
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Dirty is a good place to start... I think Daydream Nation is a little confusing as a first album; I remember it took me a while to be able to put my brain around it.

Since Sonic Youth has had very little song structure (until Sonic Nurse) I would also say that starting with their new stuff and working backwards through the catalogue would be an interesting way to get to know them.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 11:07 AM   #12
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
I would go for Goo
not sure why though
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 11:09 AM   #13
Sn@ke
bad moon rising

Sn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's assesSn@ke kicks all y'all's asses
Last year?, well...they released "Sonic Nurse" in 2004, so they were playing a lot of song of that record and maybe some "Murray Street" (2002) songs, if you liked that show then start with something like Sonic Nurse or Murray Street.

Sn@ke

Sn@ke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 11:25 AM   #14
mikec
bad moon rising

mikec has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Yea, I'd go with Sonic Nurse since those songs you heard live were probably mostly from that record. Then either Daydream Nation or Dirty.
mikec is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 11:41 AM   #15
TheyLiveByNight
little trouble girl

TheyLiveByNight has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I started with 'Goo', so I'd recommend that one. It's the perfect intro to their sound, I think. 'Daydream Nation' is probably too sprawling and epic an album to pop your SY cherry with, much as I adore it. That said, if you hear 'Teenage Riot' for the first time and don't fall in love there's something wrong with you.
TheyLiveByNight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 12:00 PM   #16
Kannibal
children of satan

Kannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's assesKannibal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyLiveByNight
That said, if you hear 'Teenage Riot' for the first time and don't fall in love there's something wrong with you.
that's insulting.
Kannibal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 01:44 PM   #17
TheyLiveByNight
little trouble girl

TheyLiveByNight has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannibal
that's insulting.

Is it? In what way?
TheyLiveByNight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 02:12 PM   #18
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
TEENAGE RIOT!
SKRONK!

If you listen to teenage riot and you don't instantly fall in love then there's something wrong with you!
Old 04.13.2006, 03:50 PM   #19
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Nurse or murray street are probably the best starting place.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 03:50 PM   #20
sonikjuice
little trouble girl

sonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant future
Since you tend to like more mellow music, I wouldn't start off with Dirty. I'd go with Daydream Nation. Give it a few listens and you'll really get into it. It's generally considered their best album.
sonikjuice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth