Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lee and the Dream Machine
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.16.2008, 11:45 PM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.flickerflicker.com/flash/.../TheStory.html

Really, I think, behind everything, he was trying to teach people to see differently.”
Genesis P-Orridge, on Brion Gysin
The dream machine looks simple enough: A 100-watt light bulb, a motor, and a rotating cylinder with cutouts. Just sit in front of it, close your eyes, and wait for the visions to come.
The dream machine offers a drugless high that its creator – poet, artist, calligrapher and mystic Brion Gysin – believed would revolutionize human consciousness.
He wasn't alone. Kurt Cobain had a dream machine. And William S. Burroughs thought it could be used to “storm the citadels of enlightenment.”
With a custom-made dream machine in tow, director Nik Sheehan takes us on a journey into the life of Brion Gysin – his art, his complex ideas, and his friendships with some of the 20th century's key counterculture figures.
Gysin was fascinated by identity. He saw himself as a incarnation of the 10th-century King of Assassins, trained in counter-espionage during WWII, and wrote and rewrote his name in countless permutations, as if to make it disappear – in the process, inventing the cut-up technique that his lifelong friend, Beat novelist Burroughs, would make famous.
Featuring greats like Burroughs (in archival footage), singer Marianne Faithfull, singer/artist Genesis P-Orridge of Psychic TV, poet John Giorno, rocker Iggy Pop, filmmaker Kenneth Anger, and artist/turntablist DJ Spooky, FLicKeR is a hypnotic documentary.
Taking the dream machine as the basis of its explorations, FLicKeR asks crucial questions about the nature of art and consciousness, and imagines a humanity liberated to explore its creativity in complete freedom.

A look at what's hot and what's not at this year's edition of the real-to-reel festival

http://www.eyeweekly.com/film/feature/article/24352

In Flicker (****; April 23, 7pm, Royal; April 26, 7pm, Isabel Bader), Toronto director Nik Sheehan recounts the strange days of Brion Gysin, the visionary painter and writer who blew minds with two inventions: the literary cut-up technique (as popularized by his pal William S. Burroughs) and the Dream Machine, a mysterious contraption that offered the prospect of a drug-less high. Iggy Pop, Marianne Faithfull and Sonic Youth’s Lee Ranaldo (pictured) are just three of the luminaries we see experiencing the machine’s effects in Sheehan’s captivating portrait of an artist whose influence far outweighs his fame.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 01:30 AM   #2
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Lee is indeed free... love it!

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 11:48 AM   #3
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Here's a website where you can have your own little dream machine experience.

http://www.netliberty.net/dreamachine.html
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 01:46 PM   #4
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
they work well you just have to stick with it and follow the instructions. Gysin also experimented with mirror gazing, where you stare at the surface of the mirror, people can really lose themselves in a trance state.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 04:00 PM   #5
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
thats a really cool picture of lee
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2008, 06:35 PM   #6
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
Here's a website where you can have your own little dream machine experience.

http://www.netliberty.net/dreamachine.html

That works quite well, actually.

For anyone interested. Here's a website that shows you how to build your very own Dreamachine, step by step.
A friend of mine made one using these instructions, and we've been tripping ever since.

http://www.interpc.fr/mapage/western...eamachine.html
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth