Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY & Pavement @ The Hollywood Bowl
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.28.2010, 04:24 AM   #61
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I saw SY at The Greek Theatre for the "DayDream Nation" show. I got shitty seats through Ticketmaster but exchanged them at the venue for a better seat for a little extra cash of course. Ended up in a pretty good area and was one of the best shows, but I hate the thought of going to a place like the Hollywood Bowl and getting seats towards the back. I also saw SY at the Henry Fonda Theatre for the Sonic Nurse tour, and that was amazing. I will always preffer club shows to theatre/stadium shows.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2010, 06:50 PM   #62
aidsward
empty page

aidsward has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Can you WALK to the Hollywood Bowl? One of my friends said it was too "hard" and that it's up a big hill, but he's pretty lazy. I was going to ride a bike then walk the rest. Other reviews online mention walking. Would that be weird? Please... advice needed!

Also, is there only one main entrance? I have to pick up tickets at a box office and meet people there. It looks like from google maps there's one main entrance. Can someone confirm this? Never been there before.

Supposedly you can bring in food too?
aidsward is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2010, 07:58 PM   #63
hiland
children of satan

hiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/visit/index.cfm

Bowl is 1 mile from Hollywood & Highland. Uphill. Park around there for cheaper probs.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=hollywood+and+highland+to+hollywood+bowl&oe =utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Its a pretty large main entrance. But you should be able to find someone.

You can bring in food. More info here. http://tinyurl.com/2cfekyy

Closest liquor store is mini-mart at Franklin & Highland (next door to a subway). Usually there is parking (pay) at the church west of there and south of there.
hiland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2010, 09:07 PM   #64
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by faggot mangler
TacomaMike, I'll give you $20 if you can't find anyone.

What's up w/ the Hollywood Bowl? Is it OUTSIDE? It looks insanely huge. I tried to lookup tickets on ticketmaster (for one person) and going alone there are tickets in the third row still available. Seems like a really weird place to see a show. It's too expensive for me, really. But I'm dying to go. I hope I win one of those contests!

You don't know about the Hollywood Bowl ? Haven't you ever seen the clips or heard of the famous show's the Beatles did there ?

One of the first insanely BIG outdoor high profile rock shows EVER in the United States.

I mean geeezz..it was only 46 years ago !!!!!!!!!

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 04:10 AM   #65
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
just got here, too bad I missed the 113 degree weather! man that's some scene you got there at Highland and Hollywood ( careful crossing the street holy shit almost got hit by a car by that church there). Mels Diner the brioche on my sliders was stale but place is really cheap (3 dollar buds, 3 dollar sliders). At midnight Hollywood Blvd is almost empty, maybe 2 dozen people milling around in that chinese theater area. no late shows at the theater. There's that tourist trap chain rock thing (looks totally empty from the outside). Aussie tourists, few homeless dudes, some dudes exchanging "suspicious" packages. A very pretty young girl, might be 18, might be a prostitute, dress open all the way down front, this might make you sad...

Im at Best Western on Highland right there so i know the strip mall with the prominent liquor store of which you speak. there's a bar there too on the way, some upscale thing. Hotel- There's a pool so it aint bad, and a fridge to chill the liquids. TV dont work but wifi is free Cant fucking wait for tomorrow!
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 07:52 AM   #66
hiland
children of satan

hiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asses
ahh... one more place i forgot to mention that is decent for food is Skoobys. Its a hotdog joint with killer fries about a block from Hollywood & Highland. Apparently their basement storage is the old Masque club.

Ugh... I only know this crap cause i used to live in the neighborhood.... but the giant church at Highland & Franklin is where the filmed the enchantment under the sea dance in BACK TO THE FUTURE.... and just down the street at 7047 franklin is the hotel where janis joplin died (room 105).
hiland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2010, 11:55 AM   #67
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
last time I went to the corner of Hollywood and Vine and asked how do I get to Pomona from here...(scene from Inland Empire if you remember)

I will hit all those places in the next 6 hours, thanks for the tips!
Old 10.01.2010, 02:11 PM   #68
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Pavement awesome, SY awesome.

That's my new review style.

Or not.

Last night (and morning) was fantastic and joyous as
usual. More later.
Old 10.01.2010, 02:19 PM   #69
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
setlists pleaaaaaaaase
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2010, 02:30 PM   #70
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Cut Your Hair
Frontwards
Gold Soundz
Shady Lane
Rattled By The Rush
Grounded
Silence Kit
Date With Ikea
Unfair
Spit on a Stranger
In the Mouth a Desert
Perfume-V
Summer Babe
Stereo
Stop Breathing
Range Life
Here

SY (not nec. in order)

Candle
The Sprawl
Cross the Breeze
Stereo Sanctity
Hey Joni
DV 69
Shadow of a Doubt
Brother James
White Kross
Old 10.01.2010, 03:48 PM   #71
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Thank GOD Pavement played Date with Ikea.

Just kidding. Just bein' a dick.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2010, 08:03 PM   #72
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
dudes, show was so rad, got a box w/ friends approx 20 rows back (pretty close), sound was really good for sonics, maybe kinda tweaked for the paves, i recorded both on extremely non-pro equipo, turned out okay, a little blown out but not tooooooo bad. having computer issues, but i'll upload it at some point, kinda busy with school right now. really needed to have my face sheredded off last night, and both bands delivered. my wife got contact high from dudes in next box burning massive bowls of high performance medical-grade cannabanoids on a regular basis. INTENSE sonic energy from pre-electricity-in-music acoustic bandshell under night sky, bringing it so hard, feel so lucky to have them with us jamming so strong 30 years on...

oh yeah, the silkscreened poster i got for the show is really awesome, i'll post that later too...
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2010, 10:04 PM   #73
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
wow was the pavement set really that short? i mean.. it felt short.. but jeez.

(sorry, i've been travelling all day and i'm plagued with negativity)

SUPER fun seeing karlie, jenn, pat, naomi, and hiland!! made the whirlwind trip worthwhile, and customs didn't even hassle me about the small fortune i spent at amoeba, where i someday hope to live.

SY set was great, i finally got a taste of the killer quartet - pavement were great too but too damn short! why have three bands if there's an 11pm curfew?

surprisingly good sound @ the bowl, and bizarrely accommodating security allowing you to bring in all kinds of outside items even though there's practically a grocery store on-site. enormous washrooms too.

two cool show posters!
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2010, 12:07 AM   #74
aidsward
empty page

aidsward has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I felt like Pavement played FOREVER. I watched the first few songs and then went to find friends. The show overall went by super fast and efficient. It was kind of shocking at the short in between time. Sonic Youth set went by super fast. The drums sounded a bit weird to me, a little loud. I liked that they played mostly older tracks; though for some reason this feels like one of the weirdest sets I've seen them play (short, maybe my first or second time seeing them as a foursome, and the setlist - no new material). I liked the No Age set as well. Only 30 minutes? Sonic Youths wasn't much longer. I hated being able to see the clock on the stage, counting down their set.
aidsward is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2010, 12:33 AM   #75
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
every headlining pavement set i saw this year was 2 hours, with a 40-minute opener. w/ same start time and curfew, but that works with 2 bands. i like hearing some 'deep cuts' mixed in with the 'hits'/'favorites' and last night was basically a festival set.

i felt like SY played for nearly 50 min?? i was surprised, actually. haven't heard 'bro james' or 'white x' since the murray st tour, if i recall, so that was particularly hot...

couldn't see the clock where i was, but i could sure hear everyone around me talking through the entire set. i figured maybe they were pavement fans (one guy even suggested that SY should play 'gold soundz') but they all kept blabbering during pavement too. ah well.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 10.02.2010, 06:33 AM   #76
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
mp3 download for Sonic Youth and Pavement

http://www.mediafire.com/?f7255x20layy2

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2010, 03:50 PM   #77
Chris Lawrence

hey right on! thanks!
Old 10.02.2010, 04:46 PM   #78
Chris Lawrence

i just made the stupid mistake of looking at pavement's vegas set and it's quite literally exactly what i wanted to hear in hollywood. ah well. i'll catch em next time.

oh wait
Old 10.03.2010, 10:10 AM   #79
chris2159
little trouble girl

chris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asseschris2159 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666
mp3 download for Sonic Youth and Pavement

http://www.mediafire.com/?f7255x20layy2

Thanks for posting!
chris2159 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.04.2010, 10:27 AM   #80
Georgekrz
stalker

oh the crazy countdown clock! wtf was up with that? had to laugh. I think Steve M. said something like that clock is making me nervous. it was like basketball game shot clock and it was facing the audience. Everything seemed rushed for some reason, (prob the clock!). Wish the show would have started at 7:30 or 7 if they were gonna be that strict with the curfew.

BTW- I made it to Amoeba for the Drums set which was all right. Did one of those tours during the day and the guy showed us where Dee Dee Ramone lived in LA and where he died, right at that intersection of Highland and Franklin, apt building next to the film school, so you walk right by there and not know a thing, maybe there should be a plaque put up, such a sad place. He also showed us Hillel Slovak's house where he lived. Hollywood has some crazy history.

I was up there, about half way up. Jenn were you guys the three people standing up front by the stage? for some reason everyone was sitting down except for those 3 people who moved to the stage. The red lights flashing inside the Bowl during DV69, that was sensory overload.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth