Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Simply Saucer - Cyborgs Rivisited
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.23.2010, 05:20 PM   #1
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
It's been a while since I last listened to this motherfucker, and I urge you to get this in whichever way you can.
Imagine The Stooges and VU played by a bunch of uber-cool Canadian UK-psych lovers. Today I'm particularly into ''Illigal Bodies'' and its space-spazz soloing, ''Nazi Apocalypse'', and ''Mole Machine''.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2010, 06:49 PM   #2
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
i fucking love this band, the perfect combo of barrett/stooges/velvets. That record from the 70s was miles ahead of its time.

Did you hear that they reunited? They have two new records out. One called Half Human/Half Live that has them recording original material from back then and the second half just a live show. Although its not as experimental as Cyborgs its still really good. Then theres a new one coming out called saucerland that will be lo-fi 70s demos.

I don't care if they're milking theyre resurgence though they deserve it, but how bout playing some dates in america !!!
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2010, 07:19 PM   #3
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah that's a great record. I haven't heard it in a few years myself.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.27.2010, 01:06 AM   #4
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
They are from my home city. I find surprising that anyone from the outside
world would be familar with them.

I used to reherse at the same intersection as they did. Which is highly odd because it is off the beaten track. I saw them in solo gigs, but never as a single unit.

Here is a doc trailer on them

http://www.gregorybennett.com/documentary/saucer.html

and a recent book publication that steals its title from one of their songs.

http://bongobeat.com/bongobeatbooks.php

Also one of their demos was the first production credit of Daniel Lanois. He went to produce Bob Dylan, U2 Peter Gabriel.

Still not entirely crazy about their work. But I can see how it was ahead of its time
Old 02.27.2010, 06:40 AM   #5
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Thank you necro and dazed for the info.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth