Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page music magazines
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.20.2008, 03:09 PM   #1
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
allright, there are a few good ones where i'm at, i get uncut and mojo but i get mojo less often than uncut because its pretty much the same thing. sometimes i get word from the uk and i just started buying a magazine called computer music.

what do you read?
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 03:11 PM   #2
al shabbray

intro
spex
lowdown
novum

all german mags

wire
some guitar mags like guitar world or something
everythig which looks good or got the right thing on the cover
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 03:32 PM   #3
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
I don't bother with magazines anymore.

I get all my music info here these days.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 03:33 PM   #4
al shabbray

mee too, but still enjoying a bunch of printed paper while riding the train
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 03:34 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i just discovered a mag that i absolutley fuckin love. its called 'drop dead' magazine. it covers electro/synth punk, death rock, what they call mutant wave (basicaly hard to define experimental punk music), and noise rock. i actually heard about great bands that ive NEVER heard of from this mag. and not to mention, wierd/experimental punk music is essentialy my favorite. some bands ive learned from this mag are: new collapse (high energy loud as hell wierdo-glam/synth punk), dandi wind (equal cues from art punk, electronics, early throbbing gristle industrial, wierdo glam, noise pop, and lots and lots of performance art, way cool band), sudden infant death syndrome (like a really extreme version of the screamers), silver daggers (finally a band from la that actually lives up to that hype surrounding the smell, none of those other bands really grabbed me, but shit, this is the best neo no wave band ive ever heard in a while, everything great about no wave; erratic skronky guitars, distorted vox, skronky free jazz saxophones, but unlike much no wave, this band really rocks in the conventional sense, reminded me of early scissor girls, there is also a synth punk influence there as well, anyways, PHENOMENAL band), haunted fucking (besides the awesome band name, this male/female duo make music influenced by native american tribalism, outsider shit, and lost of hallucinogens, very nonsensical, very great), and strip mall seizures (the grimiest, most stripped down synth punk imaginable, mixed with russian gypsy folk, and incredible spastic live performances). this mag also covers personal favorites that are way to oft-under covered such as the chinese stars, OOlOO, experimental dental school, errase errata, the scissor girls, the coughs, arab on radar, death sentence: PANDA!, and whatever awesome wierdo punk bands you can think of. also articles on criminally forgotten legendary 80s post punk bands; highlights for me were articles on ruba ballet and red weding. so yeah this mag rules.

also:
blastitude (its the best music publication in the world period)
the wire
signal to noise
terrorizer
vice sometimes

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 03:34 PM   #6
EMMAh
invito al cielo

EMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's assesEMMAh kicks all y'all's asses
I never like music magazines.

Photography magazines is what I get.

EMMAh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 03:35 PM   #7
al shabbray

where to get that damn mag? sounds amazing!!!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 03:35 PM   #8
al shabbray

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAh

grafik zines are also nice, especially with special paper etc.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 03:38 PM   #9
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMAh

photography magazines are the shit!!
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 03:41 PM   #10
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
music mags.... a beacon of what you MUST buy if you are wanting to be hip to the groove...

no seriously..
i used to melody maker and nme up to the point they put menswear on the cover.... blur vs oasis had a lot to answer to!

i read uncut for about 18 months then got fed up when i slowly realised that they just championed the same shit every issue..

now i buy the wire on occasion, not all the time...
i buy mojo every month and have done for the last 5 or 6 years, its a good mag, a good mix of everything and i like some of the writing but in general... i can make my own mind up when it comes to music....

anyone remember sounds magazine.. that was pretty decent for a newspaper....
Old 08.20.2008, 03:42 PM   #11
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
in addition.. i also buy autosport magazine every week.. in fact i have every copy since 1995 in multiple boxes up in the attic.. great to pull ot every now and again to read articles on up and coming drivers who are now world champions and stuff........
Old 08.20.2008, 03:53 PM   #12
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
rock-a-rolla

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 04:15 PM   #13
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656

anyone remember sounds magazine.. that was pretty decent for a newspaper....

Yeah, I never think sounds gets the credit it deserves. It often championed stuff that the NME or MM wouldn't really touch.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 05:58 PM   #14
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
rock a rolla is pretty decent, yeah. they dont go underground enough though. al the bands they cover i already know of. i think dusted magazine is pretty cool, i like thier listed feeatures, gves a sense of who my favorite artists' favorite artists are.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.20.2008, 06:07 PM   #15
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
i like the wire sometimes, even if its a little pretentious
uncut is sometimes ok too...
dont get mags too much though
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2008, 04:16 AM   #16
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Sometimes I get Mojo and Uncut, less often I'll get Rolling Stone or Q.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2008, 08:44 AM   #17
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.planbmag.com/

Probably the only one worth it. Has huge articles on the likes of Scout Niblett, Merzbow, Deerhoof, Death Vessel etc. If there is anything interesting happening in music today, it'll be reported here.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2008, 08:58 AM   #18
vegans4veal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
http://www.planbmag.com/

Probably the only one worth it. Has huge articles on the likes of Scout Niblett, Merzbow, Deerhoof, Death Vessel etc. If there is anything interesting happening in music today, it'll be reported here.

brilliant magazine, i'm ever so slightly biased though.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2008, 10:11 AM   #19
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
+1 from me for Plan B too. Also: Terrorizer, Wire and Rock-A-Rolla.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth