Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Batreleaser's Forgotten Masterpieces 2; Coffee-Pissing Contest
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.12.2009, 06:39 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Such a wierd godamned band. Really. Coffee really is the perfect name for this band; as that strange, dizzying, overstimulated feeling of a coffee binge is quite akin to the aural sensations of this group. There isn't really a genre here other than wierd. But I guess if you wanted to you could put this in the Harsh/post-AMM/chaos Jazz category. But unlike Naked City or some Zorn hardcore wannabe thing (nothing against Zorn, hes had his moments of course) this band spends much less time practicing and more time just plain FREAKING. No compositions from what I can tell, if there is it's very loose. I don't know much about the pand personnel-wise, as I was only tuned into them by reading a Pengo interview in Blastitude. Pengo is from Buffalo so a lot of the article was dedicated to unearthing Buffalo's rich history of "makes no sense" tunes. He claimed Coffee was the best band from Buffalo, and that they made a ridiculously tweaked cacophony of horns and electronics and drums and random objects and pieces of metal and god knows what else that in the end slightly resembles free jazz.

This is the best thing I've heard from Coffee. The first side is like I had been describing before; random horns are blown, symbols are banged, and electronics are twiddled and yet a rhythm still emerges. Like the great free jazz blowers and bangers of our time (Ayler, Milford Graves, Cecil Taylor), Coffee can make a ridiculously atonal racket that while totally "free", still swings the listener in the direction of the eternal rhythm. The second side sounds like a different band. Its mostly strange echoed electronic sounds with some pretty synth squiggles (cant believe i just used pretty to descrive coffee, but its true), and mid way there's some very "in the tradition" horn blowing, like it sounds as if a guy who knows how to play is playing.

Anyways, Coffee are a mindblowing unit that truly are forgotten, everything they did was rad, but this is my fave.

if you like; nonsense

And you KNOW i have a link:
http://killingtimekills.blogspot.com...h/label/coffee

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2009, 12:10 PM   #2
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'm listening now. It's pretty alright. It's rare that I enjoy free jazz (first side) so I'm probably not due to enjoy it again for a while. There's a few moment (6 minutes in, 13 minutes in) where they're struggling against cadences, it's quite funny. Pissing contest is a good name.

Second side is pretty boring to me.

I wouldn't say it's a forgotten masterpiece, it's just an alright record, innit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth