Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sun City Girls are Wacked and Wonderful!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.31.2010, 07:14 AM   #321
washer
bad moon rising

washer cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody
Horse Cock Pephner is a fucked up and brilliant record

Who sucks off the pope behind closed doors and spits the cum in your open sores?

True. That album cracks me up completely.
washer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2010, 09:47 AM   #322
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
I was so interested I listened to it twice while driving around that day. and made my mom listen once!
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2010, 09:54 AM   #323
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
listen to dante's disneyland inferno or uncle jim's true confessions of greenwhich meantime if you want some great humor...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2010, 09:59 AM   #324
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Thank you dude. I will get those
I also thought Jack's Creek was pretty funny. A bunch of bullshitin dudes sitting around talking for a lot of it. But, it's still very cool.
I was pretty interested in the fact that they came from the same scene as the the meat puppets
Old 11.01.2010, 12:06 PM   #325
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
haha yeah they sure did.

they were good friends (and rumored members of) caroliner, and I am pretty sure jack's creek was a tributes to them...

Old 11.01.2010, 07:48 PM   #326
finding nobody
invito al cielo

That band looks quite crazy! I believe you're right about the tribute. I'm reading about them on marprindle.com... some interesting sounding shit
Old 11.02.2010, 12:04 AM   #327
finding nobody
invito al cielo

Wow. I seriously just read this entire thread. It was worth it! but godamn i feel like a nerd
It's pretty insane that this thread has been here sense 2006.. Maybe I even read some of it back then, who knows

watching the soft focus video now (already posted many pages back, but here it is)
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/soft-focus-s...richard-bishop
Old 11.02.2010, 06:34 AM   #328
Cooking With Satan
little trouble girl

Cooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
haha yeah they sure did.

they were good friends (and rumored members of) caroliner, and I am pretty sure jack's creek was a tributes to them...

The highlighted part is not true.

Or is it?

Nah, it's not.
Cooking With Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2010, 06:56 AM   #329
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I doubt it's true they were full time members, but there's almost no doubt in my mind they've collaborated with them before before (keep in mind all 3 girls joined Cerberus Shoal on CHIAMING THE KNOBBLESONE, Alan was a member of Master Musicians of Bukkake for an album, not to mention their involvement with Eddie Detroit and the Velet Underground drummer for Paris 1942, so it's not like it'd be a stretch to see them collaborating with likeminded musicians; SCG hardly ever toured but were constantly recording, and collaborating, and were definitely documented friends with Caroliner, so I can totally see them playing on some Caroliner stuff).

Caroliner supposedly had many different members collaborate with live and on record -- supposedly, different members of Thinking fellers Union Local # 282 were Caroliner members at various points, as well. The best -- and most widely-believed -- rumor is that Neil Hamburger (aka GRegg Turkington, of Zip Code Rapists and Faxed Head as well) played drums for Caroliner for years and years.

Again, who knows if it's true? It's certainly a cool rumor, though, and at least the SCG/TFUL # 282 connection seems pretty sound given the split vinyl they dd, where they both covered Caroliner songs.

Oh -- one of the weird SCG collaborations is SQUARE 9 (with the album TSUNAMI .9 UP). It's every member of the Residents and every member of SCG collaborating (weird since one of the last shows Snakefinger played was with SCG and he remarked that he thought they were horrible).

There has been a lot of mystery collaborations over the years with SCG, so them being a part of Caroliner at any point isn't much of a stretch, at all.

Old 11.02.2010, 07:48 AM   #330
Cooking With Satan
little trouble girl

Cooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's assesCooking With Satan kicks all y'all's asses
The SCG guys haven't been involved in Caroliner, but they are good friends.

I can't say too much, it's essentially a one man band but if you go to Mark Prindle's site and read his interview with Brandon Kearney there are some names mentioned.
Cooking With Satan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2010, 03:55 PM   #331
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
don't forget Paris 1942...i should ask Rick about the recent unveiling of Mo as a Tea Bagger...
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2010, 04:50 PM   #332
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yeah, I mentioned paris 1942 in my post. Great band.

Old 11.26.2010, 03:53 PM   #333
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Richard Bishop just emailed me and thanked me for putting the cloaven vhs tapes up on my youtube account. He said it's the only way he can even see them anymore. That's so cool of him.

Old 12.16.2010, 05:42 PM   #334
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I know hat I'm extremely late to the party, but Funeral Mariachi is a fucking masterpiece! I can't stop listening to it! Easily one of the best experimental releases I've ever heard.

The blending of genres, the wild vocals, it's all so... perfect! Reminds me sort of Trevor Dunn's compositions, yet it's quite unique in it's own way as well. Blegh, I suck at explaining the technicalities of music.

It's also pretty neat to read the rumors of SCG/TFU/Caroliner/Neil Hamburger connections.

Cool.

What other SCG releases should I seek out next? Anyone? Funeral Mariachi was my first listen.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2010, 06:07 PM   #335
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Funeral Mariachi is the less experimental SCG I've heard. Because it's not an experimental record at all, at least not in the sense of experimenting to create a new musical language. Probably that's why I like it so much.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2010, 07:00 PM   #336
washer
bad moon rising

washer cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard suckawasher cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
What other SCG releases should I seek out next? Anyone? Funeral Mariachi was my first listen.

Besides Funeral Mariachi, I heard and very much enjoyed Sun City Girls, Horse Cock Phepner, Grotto of Miracles and Torch of the Mystics (which is probably their best-known album). I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of these, despite the fact they're really different from FM, which is probably something you can consider an "alien" among dozens of insane albums.
washer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.16.2010, 07:37 PM   #337
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Joe, read mark prindle's page, and see what might interest you. None of their other stuff sounds very much like FUNERAL. I have all their stuff, and I love it all for different reasons (though I don't think some of their jammier stuff is necessary listening.. and you can definitely avoid something like JUGGERNAUT), I really like DANTE'S DISNEYLAND INFERNO, one of my favorites, I also think BOX OF CHAMELEONS is really strong and has 128 tracks, including some Longmont Potion Castle tribute songs... all in all, my favorite stuff is:

ALVARIUS B - BLOOD OPERATIVES...

and

SIR RICHARD BISHOP - SALVADORE KALI

Two solo albums that, to me, blow away every SCG album, and blow away most albums ever made. Check those out asap. High quality stuff.

Also, get Uncle Jim's "True confessions of Greenwhich Meantime", just incredible.

I highly reccomend getting some master musicians of bukkake stuff, too, alan is on the first album.

Old 12.16.2010, 07:59 PM   #338
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I find a lot of what I've heard by SCG doesn't justify their reputation as that amazing a band. I understand they have a sprawling discography, but hardly one I feel must be as worth investigation as Sun Ra's. Also, Mark Prindle is 8/10 of an idiot. Read his VU reviews for confirmation. He makes for a useless Fall fan because of that alone.
Old 12.16.2010, 08:00 PM   #339
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I rarely agree with Prindle's actual ratings and opinions, especially when he talks about movies. But he has posted some great stuff, especially his TFUL#282 reviews, and he does a good job describing the SCG stuff he's heard.

Old 12.16.2010, 08:09 PM   #340
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

He's too miss rather than hit for me. It's because his writing reminds too much of that of an alcoholic music journalist who can't play any good music himself, therefore he's often easily nasty when he writes about it.
141516 17 181920 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth