Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.24.2010, 05:08 PM   #12541
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
I'm downloading the 4 Harmony Korine movies.

Will I be on the side of atsonicpark or the side of Joe Perinelo? Only time will tell.

You'll probably like 'em okay and not see the big deal either way, aside from a few okay scenes here or there. There's just, flat-out, not much to them. Julien has the biggest amount of "great scenes", like the ice skating to Oval and the "one-frame-at-a-time going-up-the-stairs" thing, or the "one-frame-at-a-time-with-weird-conversation-voicover" or about 3 Herzog scenes. Gummo has one good scene -- the little kids cursing out a rabbit boy -- and a cool soundtrack. Trash Humpers has a few laughs. Mister Lonely, as I already described... skydiving nuns, and jump-cut Michael Jackson dance. All these scenes are on youtube. Save yourself the trouble.

I suggest downloading these 4 random mindblowing movies instead:
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Branded-...60adf1849cbeac
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Vera-Chy...a37cf361382a26
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Rainer-W...b3a2ccec1e0992
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/SAUVE-QU...a6882ac3e7c64f

Oh, btw, Giuseppe retired -- for real. He deleted ALL HIS MOVIES, ALL HIS BOOKS, AND ALL HIS CD'S off of his website today! He now has 2 cd's on there and that's it. Wow. So, I now own tons of collector's items, haha. No, they're not for sale.

honeymoon in vegas - 7/10

Surprisingly entertaining. James Caan is always great, anyone seen Thief? Masterpiece of a film, with a great Tangerine Dream soundtrack. One of these "hey, whoa, it's 3AM and this movie is on, I'm going to watch it" and you end up being surprised.

Anyone notice how consistent Cage is with his roles? Okay, at the top of my head, he has Honeymoon in Vegas, Leaving Las Vegas, and Snake Eyes, which takes places in Vegas. His Elvis infatuation is apparent in all those films, as well as Wild at Heart (Wild at Heart, of course, sharing some similarities with the classic "Red Rock West", which shares tons of similarities with "Blood Simple" -- written and directed by the Coens, who directed Cage in "Raising Arizona"). Then, there's Matchstick Men, Weather Man, Family Man, Wicker Man -- 4 "man" roles. Then, he plays a superhero in Ghost Rider and Kick-Ass and was almost Superman (which would have been another "man" role!). He seems to enjoy choosing roles where the only point seems to be for him to act INSANE -- Deadfall, where he is almost unrecognizable as an insane gangster; Sonny, where he plays unrecognizable insane gangster Acid Yellow; Vampire's Kiss, where he is almost unrecognizable as a "Vampire" whose voice keeps becoming British for some weird reason; and Bad Lieutenant reboot where he just yells a bunch as an insane cop! Gonee in 60 Seconds, Kiss of Death, Wicker Man, Bad Lieutenant, Bangkok Dangerous, Astro Boy = all remakes or are based on something else (anime, whatever). I'm sure there's more similarities between the roles he chooses, feel free to chime in (besides" DUH UHH HE SUX IN ALL OF DEM LAWL")

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.24.2010, 05:37 PM   #12542
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Also watched

goliath - 6/10

Beginning of this film incorporated this clip

http://nastynastyasian.com/

which is the one of the best things ever!

(note: it's asians in devil masks playing the drums while fucking!)

Otherwise, it's a sociopathic mumblecore self-referential existential no-budgetter about a missing cat.

Old 09.25.2010, 01:53 AM   #12543
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Gummo has one good scene

You've got to be kidding me. I don't think I've ever disagreed with you more in my life.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2010, 03:01 AM   #12544
adjectives-ex
bad moon rising

adjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's assesadjectives-ex kicks all y'all's asses

A friend is seriously watching Franco Nero flicks. But this one was not so good I thought. And we all agreed to that. Not worth seeing. Telly Savalas' character is pretty abrasively not cool.

s.

Last edited by adjectives-ex : 09.25.2010 at 03:03 AM. Reason: couldn't get the picture uploaded
adjectives-ex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2010, 03:07 AM   #12545
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
You've got to be kidding me. I don't think I've ever disagreed with you more in my life.

I don't know why this is so hard to believe. This is a film that is loved by very few, and the people who hate it usually won't even afford it the respect of pointing out anything good about it whatsoever. I racked my brain, trying to think of something I liked about the film, since I like to think the no film is completely worthless and... I guess that's the only scene I a) didn't hate and b) actually thought was worth watching again. I've seen the film twice in 6 years -- well, 1 1/2 times, actually, I didn't get to finish it the first time since I was at a party and everyone agreed the movie was horrible and shut it off. That alone might be reason enough to reccomend it for some people, but whatever, I burned it and watched it again about 9 months ago from beginning to end and, uh, yeah... let's just say thank god for the cool soundtrack and THAT ONE SCENE!!!!!!!!! -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fawnn9rCIk -- I mean, yeah, at 3 minutes, even that scene's way too long, but what's there is funny!! The rest of the movie, I looked on, usually with a blank stare, no feeling whatsoever to what was happening. See, this is the kind of movie where you enjoy Korine's humor or you don't, and I just, uh, don't. Seeing a little kid getting bathed for, oh, 8 minutes while eating with some food sticking on the wall, or seeing dumb fuckhead imbred kids shoot at cats, or seeing a bunch of fuckheads huffing glue and staring into space for 5 minutes, might be "cool scenes" to some people, might be "iconic, award-winning scenes", but I thought they were boring as hell, usually stretched to the point of being annoying. I just do not find a bunch of idiotic kids doing stupid shit "entertaining", everyone was unlikeable, and it is just so dull as to be ridiculous. I get what it's going for, I get Korine'se "humor", and it's easy for people to appreciate it as an "Anti-film" -- no plot, no characters or story points you care about, nothing keeping the action moving forward -- except there's about a thousand of those that actually work (for a really good example, see Brown Bunny from Korine's enemy and girlfrend-stealer Vincent Gallo, a film that betrayed every principle of filmmaking -- while still remaining haunting, compelling, and engaging). A movie either moves me or it doesn't, and I can respect it all day for existing -- for Korine actually putting time and money into something like this -- but the movie is just not something I particularly enjoy sitting through. My advice, people should just watch the movies that inspired Gummo -- Out of the Blue by Dennis Hopper, obviously, being its biggest influence, as well as the documentary STREETWISE. Those are films with substance, that will stick with you long after viewing is over. Enjoy!

Old 09.25.2010, 04:23 AM   #12546
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Wow/10
Old 09.25.2010, 04:28 AM   #12547
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well, now we can agree on something. 964 PINNOCHIO is, simply, one of the greatest films ever made.

Now, go see Andrezej Julawskin's 1981 film "Possession", since Pinnochio stole scene right from it (I'd argue Tsukamoto, Cronenberg, and Clive Barker all stole from it as well, but Fukui is the only one to admit that, yes, his whole career is basically a tribute to the subway scene in Possession)

Old 09.25.2010, 04:32 AM   #12548
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses

Old 09.25.2010, 04:37 AM   #12549
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

usual suspects - 5/10

This movie is # 25 on imdb.

THIS MOVIE IS # 25 ON IMDB.

This movie was not very good.

SPOILERS
I had no knowledge of this film beforehand. Just that it was a well respected crime film or something. Anyway, this film kinda plods along, whatever ,right? Then, the whole film builds to the "reveal" of a certain character, and once it started setting that in motion, I was like "oh, how obvious, the guy isn't real, they've said that like 50 times, this guy is either lying or is him." And I was right. And then I just saw what, apparently, blew thousands and thousands of people's minds away or some shit.. a dull, telegraphed, predictable, silly twist ending; the entire film was based around a twist ending. Stupid... Also, why exactly do people have a problem with High Tension, which is pretty much the same, except we know it from the beginning -- a girl telling a story is a crazy lying killer, and we see her events of what happened that night, as well as the truth. Everyone screamed "OH THE MOVIE WAS BETRAYING US!!!!!!!!!!!!! STUPID TWIST, RUINED THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" THIS IS THE SAME TYPE OF FUCKING TWIST! The whole movie is meaningless, basically. And even before that relevation, the movie didn't mean anything to me. Silly in every way. But.. uh..

# 25 best movie of all time.

INSANE.

Old 09.25.2010, 05:08 AM   #12550
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Yeah, I've never really been able to figure out what was so good about that movie either.
Old 09.25.2010, 05:26 AM   #12551
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses

Good.
Old 09.25.2010, 05:55 AM   #12552
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses

Old 09.25.2010, 11:23 AM   #12553
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

How many of Giuseppe's films do you actually own Adam?
Old 09.25.2010, 02:31 PM   #12554
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
I've always quite enjoyed Usual Suspect, though not to the extremes of the praise it's usually given. But I thought it was well crafted, Stephen Baldwin and Benicio Del Toro are funny as hell in it. And I thought the ending was fine, perhaps predictable, but I enjoyed that it cast almost the whole movie in doubt, that was pretty bold I thought. Normally a technique like that would really piss me off, some kind of it's all in his head machina thing, but nah, somehow Usual Suspects didn't bother me much with that. Though sure, it's definitely not a movie I think about very much. Way of the Gun however (written by the same guy), that movie rules, love that one way more.

I'd seen this maybe 8 years ago, somewhere around then, and I didn't really remember much about it beyond the ladder fight. It was a pretty good movie. The plot isn't really much to speak of, westerners are kind of moseying into China and taking advantage of the local population, whether it's tricking them into slave labor or whatever else, they're just a bunch of jerks, and Jet Li's character um, kind of gets involved? It's really indirect how it is there, he kind of operates parallel to that whole part of the plot. But that doesn't really matter for this kind of movie because it's all about the fights, and for the most part, those are great. There are some pretty cool ideas and locales explored there, and the choreography is pretty exciting. I think the fight in the market is probably my favorite part, though it's obviously that the ladder fight was supposed to be the big spectacle, and it's highly commendable, but I just think there was so much more going on in the market.

The characters in this movie though ARE RIDICULOUS. Wong is fine, I mean he's the lead so at least he's well rounded. But everyone else is mostly a cliche caricature of some kind, though for the most part it's done in a way that makes the all unique and identifiable, though still extremely cartoony. And those are just the protagonists. The villains are just insane, especially the white guys. They just shoot everything. 'There's someone over there!' *pow pow pow pow powpow powpowpow*, it's hilarious. And that guy Shaho or whatever, he's got to be the most bitter dude on the planet. First he tries to rape a girl, gets his head cut in the process, and then when she's on the verge of being rescued, he gets mad at her and decides to try and melt her face off, haha.

Anyway, fun movie, if you apply any thought to it, you can see it as an interesting look on the clash of technology and culture and the divide between the two. And how the artful/spiritual practice of martial arts competes with the crude technologically superior use of firearms. Yeah, neat movie, there are six of them I think.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2010, 02:38 PM   #12555
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
How many of Giuseppe's films do you actually own Adam?

Old 09.25.2010, 03:32 PM   #12556
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Damn...

I didn't even know he'd made that many. Is that every single one of 'em?
Old 09.25.2010, 05:05 PM   #12557
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

Old 09.25.2010, 05:32 PM   #12558
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

^Great film, from the director of Begotten! What ever happened to him...

Quote:
Damn...

I didn't even know he'd made that many. Is that every single one of 'em?

Yep, he's probably the hardest work artist ever, or he was (he did almost all those films a 4 year block, and let's not forget he did 20 albums and wrote 2 books in that time too, as well as had a full time acting job, with films like Cabin Fever, Tweek City, 2001 Maniacs, etc). That's every single one that's ever been "available" (to buy), aside from Wiggly Harris (I have Wiggly, but not Wiggly Harris -- he only gave that one to friends, back when he first started; Wiggly Harris is basically Wiggly with like 25 minutes of extra footage -- I've never met anyone who owns it, but it is out there, at least according to IMDB). His hard work is inspiring -- that first year, I did 8 movies/animated serieses, 4 shorts (under a minute), a music video, and some other stuff, as well as like 10 robe. albums/splits and a few scissor shock ep's anda full length. Which might explain why I'm so burnt out!... Anyway, Giuseppe did another 10 movies or so, between Touch Me... and In Our Garden. Films like Ahlezheimers and Beer and Tater Tots. None of these films have ever been "available", Giuseppe said many of them were "lost" in a fire (in one film, he set his head on fire! He was very regretful of losing that one); HOWEVER, he said a lot of the footage from those films ended up in Trailer Town, Period Piece, and the Date Movie (Period Piece has all of his short film Tater Tots in it, for example -- those 3 movies are his most, uh, elliptical, in the editing department; they are clearly comprised of completely unrelated films as a lot of the footage looks different, actors noticeably change weight and hair growth; he has some actors playing completely different characters, sometimes by just throwing a wig on them, sometimes by not really doing anything but calling them by a different name). This is all information me and my friend Kris pieced together -- as far as we know, me and him and a guy named Horror Master (via a message board post we saw) and apparently Bill Gibron are the only people who bought every single one of his films off of him -- and I own Dribble, which those three don't even seem to have! So, actually, I probably have more of his films than anyone in the world, and since they're all deleted/OOP now...then yeah. I'd give all of his films at least an 7, with many of them 8's and 9's, and five eas 10's (Garbanzo Gas, Esoterica, Touch Me in the Morning, The Check-Out, and Actor). Too bad it seems like no one will ever be able to see them, or at least not for a while, but he had most of them on sale for like 4 years, and only a small fraction of people seemed to care. He is focusing 100% on his music now, and even his music is COMPLETELY different than how it used to sound -- it's kind of like acoustic spiritual music, instead of drum machine-y Ween-y and Zappa-y type outsider stuff... you can still find some of his music on itunes and soulseek, though... he contributed exclusive music to the AWESOME film "Alex and Her Arse Trunk" and went into the studio to do professional remakes of a bunch of his songs for the movie "Look" (by Adam Rifkin, a GREAT director who produced many of Giuseppe's works -- and who co-directed a few, uncredited; he is responsible for the classics Psycho Cop 2, Dark Backward, and Invisible Maniac!). The interesting thing about Adam and Giuseppe is that they were developing a television show, of which I own the pilot of (this is probably the rarest Giuseppe item -- only available for a week!). The other interesting thing is that "Look" is apparently going to be a television series on Showtime.

i heart huckabees - 5/10

Kinda just your average "Existential crisis" indie film (no, I mean, literally, they make a note of it being "existential" and a "crisis" pretty much as soon as the film starts). Your enjoyment will rest on how much you actually enjoy watching these actors, and I liked a few, but man.. I dunno.. It felt like a wannabe Todd Solondz film, without the riskiness or darkness. Just kinda meh. Tired and tiring.

the desert archipelago (1969) - 8/10

Yet another great Japanese New Wave film. I'm starting to think that the best movement in the history of cinema was the Japanese New Wave stuff.. stuff like Double Suicide, Death By Hanging, Funeral Procession of Roses, Throw Away Your Books and Rally in the Streets, Pastoral: To Die in the Country.. these are some of the best films of all time, visually stunning, hopelessly bleak... films that really took chances, visually and with their "plots" and etc. Amazing films, that 40 years later, have next to no recognition, since most of them have never been properly available outside of Japan. A shame, but thanks to the internet, you too can view some of these wildly inventive, amazing films.

Old 09.25.2010, 09:05 PM   #12559
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Oh man, I LOVED Shadow of the Vampire! I completely forgot about that one! I can't believe it's from the same guy who did Begotten. I never would've guessed that in a million years.

That really is an unbelievable workload for a 4 year period, and I agree, is very, very, very inspirational. Makes me feel like a damned couch potato by comparison! I'm going to change that about myself (mark my words). Maybe not reach Giuseppe's insane level, but I really should be putting out a much more consistent amount of work. I owe it to myself.

Adam Rifkin's is a name I hear all the time, but I really don't know jack shit about the guy aside form him being the writer of Small Soldiers, and the director of Detroit Rock City! Just checked his IMDB page (god, their new layout is atrocious), he did special effects/make-up for Hot Shots Part Deux! That's incredible!

Huckabees annoys the fuckabees out of me. Can't stand that flick.

Japanese New Wave? Hmmmm...... sounds promising.

Anyways...

7.5/10

Very interesting film. At times, it seemed sort of weak to me, especially for a Godard flick, but it really picked up and tied itself together in the third act. The use of "slow motion" was confusing in certain scenes, but worked well in others. I'm definitely going to have to re-evaluate this one eventually... what was with that guy and his 11 yr old daughter's tits? I really love Godard's use of extras, that was probably one of the most impressive things about the film for me. Also the orchestra at the end, that was really cool too.

EDIT: Fuck it, I'll give it a solid 8. This just keeps on growing on me, the more I think about it.
Old 09.25.2010, 10:04 PM   #12560
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by a-p a. niemi

I liked it until the end.
528578618625626627 628 6296306316386787281128 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth