Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page bowie
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.16.2007, 11:47 PM   #101
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
SRV is directly responsible for that horrible, slicked-up electric Blooze noodling style that the baby boomers cannot get enough of. Did he master the pentatonic noodling style? Yes. Is it listenable? No. That kind of playing being held up as an example of "ultimate virtuosity" by guitar teachers and certain music fans is also probably indirectly responsible for the reactionary "wear your ineptitude on your sleeve and always make crappy ramshackle music" attitude that brought us so much pointlessly limp indie rock from the following generation as well.
As to which is worse, it's a tough call, but I'll cast my vote for King of Craptown to an aging baby boomer in a hobby band playing some hackneyed-but-proficient slickblooze on his SRV strat wearing one of those ridiculous hats in tribute to his guitar god.

I think I'm gonna puke.

By the way, I saw SRV in 1983. Did nothing for me whatsoever, and I was both very impressionable and a new/enthusiastic guitarist at the time.
Slick, proficient crap is still crap. It's just executed with dedication is all.
I should hope any "traditional" blues player would prefer a National resonator god like Son House over some dorkus with a Fender and a Marshall cranking it out like that.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 11:53 PM   #102
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I will say one thing in SRV's favor:
I don't think of him as a "hendrix ripoff." I do think of him as one of the people who ruined blues music though.

The Hendrix worshipper award will always belong to Frank Marino/Mahogany Rush. It's undeniable.
Old 08.17.2007, 12:19 AM   #103
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
SRV is directly responsible for that horrible, slicked-up electric Blooze noodling style that the baby boomers cannot get enough of. Did he master the pentatonic noodling style? Yes. Is it listenable? No. That kind of playing being held up as an example of "ultimate virtuosity" by guitar teachers and certain music fans is also probably indirectly responsible for the reactionary "wear your ineptitude on your sleeve and always make crappy ramshackle music" attitude that brought us so much pointlessly limp indie rock from the following generation as well.
As to which is worse, it's a tough call, but I'll cast my vote for King of Craptown to an aging baby boomer in a hobby band playing some hackneyed-but-proficient slickblooze on his SRV strat wearing one of those ridiculous hats in tribute to his guitar god.

I think I'm gonna puke.

By the way, I saw SRV in 1983. Did nothing for me whatsoever, and I was both very impressionable and a new/enthusiastic guitarist at the time.
Slick, proficient crap is still crap. It's just executed with dedication is all.
I should hope any "traditional" blues player would prefer a National resonator god like Son House over some dorkus with a Fender and a Marshall cranking it out like that.

again, mostly you're talking about the people who are fans of his music, there's a lot of idiots who like sonic youth, a lot of meatheads who like metal and well, fuck those guys!!! i mean, i like the music i like and who cares who else likes it too, the music is what matters to me, not who is associated with it.

in that respect, stevie ray might have done more bad than good just like i think of bowie...probably i'm fortunate not to encounter srv fans in my daily life here.

it's like i like country and southern rock but if i lived in the u.s. i would probably hate them.

anyway, as i said earlier, the old bluesmen were much better, but yeah, i like to listen to couldn't stand the weather and scuttle buttin' every once in a while.

i raise another question at this point, what about johnny winters?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 12:20 AM   #104
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Ok. . . I'll drop all the BS.

I plain don't like SRV. I don't like his guitar sound, his playing, his songs, or his singing.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 12:33 AM   #105
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i raise another question at this point, what about johnny winters?

I was initially talking about SRV himself and his aesthetically offensive style and moved on from there to mention the havoc he wreaked via his influence, but to answer your question about the good Johnny, I am not a fan of him either.

In general, I think blues (and country as well, aside from steel guitar) is not a genre that is served well or improved by the addition of electricity. It almost always makes it worse.
Old 08.17.2007, 12:35 AM   #107
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I was initially talking about SRV himself and his aesthetically offensive style and moved on from there to mention the havoc he wreaked via his influence, but to answer your question about the good Johnny, I am not a fan of him either.

In general, I think blues (and country as well, aside from steel guitar) is not a genre that is served well or improved by the addition of electricity. It almost always makes it worse.

savage drone - 1
everyneurotic - 0

end of.
Old 08.17.2007, 03:57 AM   #108
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Personally, Stevie Ray Vaughn is a little too noodley for my taste. I'd much rather listen to Jimi Hendrix. Sometimes talent is knowing when to relax on a note.

That's my two drunk cents.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 08:44 AM   #109
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
check this out, and wait until Stevie puts down his pipe and gets serious about a minute into it..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agHM4UC1gxo

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 08:59 AM   #110
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

that is ridiculous and ignorant.

Albert Collins
Johnny "Guitar" Watson
McKinley "Muddy Waters" Morganfield
T Bone Walker
John Lee Hooker
Freddie King
Lightnin Hopkins
Buddy Guy
BB King
Bo Diddley
Stevie ray VAUGHN

alll fantabulous electric blues

MUDDY WATERS IS GOD
Old 08.17.2007, 09:11 AM   #111
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

I said "In General."

I do have a very hard time with Buddy Guy though, and I'm sorry, but B.B. King is probably the most overpaid musician on earth.

Edit:
I generally do not take offense to differences of opinion, especially with Rob (who is a very civil person in these matters), but I will not be called "ignorant."
That is a word that implies that I have spent no time with this type of music, thought about it in an honest way and come out with a reasonable conclusion in a MATTER OF TASTE. I never said these people didn't know their way around a guitar (though BB King has admitted to not knowing chords and I'm pretty sure he can't sing and play at the same time) and I never said they lacked dedication to their craft.
The fact that I don't care for the sound of electric blues guitarists most of the time is a taste issue and I think it's a reasonable position to have. I would never say Steve Vai or Joe Satriani were not proficient at what they do, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a lot of people (myself included) find that style a huge turnoff. Same situation here.
Old 08.17.2007, 09:36 AM   #112
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Well put edit.

Old 08.17.2007, 10:02 AM   #113
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
see? it's about personal tastes, not about the overall queality of the music and the music alone, not fans, image, etc.
Old 08.17.2007, 10:52 AM   #114
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I like hearing no name black men busking blues on the street in the south.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 11:08 AM   #115
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I said "In General."

I do have a very hard time with Buddy Guy though, and I'm sorry, but B.B. King is probably the most overpaid musician on earth.

Edit:
I generally do not take offense to differences of opinion, especially with Rob (who is a very civil person in these matters), but I will not be called "ignorant."
That is a word that implies that I have spent no time with this type of music, thought about it in an honest way and come out with a reasonable conclusion in a MATTER OF TASTE. I never said these people didn't know their way around a guitar (though BB King has admitted to not knowing chords and I'm pretty sure he can't sing and play at the same time) and I never said they lacked dedication to their craft.
The fact that I don't care for the sound of electric blues guitarists most of the time is a taste issue and I think it's a reasonable position to have. I would never say Steve Vai or Joe Satriani were not proficient at what they do, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a lot of people (myself included) find that style a huge turnoff. Same situation here.

ignorant means lacking info. it was not meant as an insult, but obviuously I truly do not know what your personal experience is wtih electric blues, so i was speaking out my ass. forgive bro.

I do love me some country blues too man. I dig the acoustic delta blues.
Old 08.17.2007, 12:55 PM   #116
ricechex
the destroyed room

Not to start off on another tangeant, but black or white doesn't mean anything when it comes to playing the blues, truly. I think that's a good ol' sham, a stereotype. People seem to equate true blues with an ol' black grandad on the porch, and that there is an inherit ability to play the blues better. Yes, to honor the origins of blues is great, but music shouldn't be sold short and put in a box like that..there's probably some 14 year old white girl playing some serious blues some where.

Old 08.17.2007, 06:59 PM   #117
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I like hearing no name black men busking blues on the street in the south.

that makes you a poser.

like people who only listen to bands that have a certain haircut. or stop listening to a band you love just because they are popular.

if you like the music, fine dig it, but if it's only people with this aesthetic that listen to, then you are very superficial and probably don't really listen to music.
Old 08.17.2007, 07:22 PM   #118
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
david bowie was the first taste of rock n roll I ever got.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2007, 01:23 PM   #119
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
said this before but

one of the best gigs i've ever been to was a bowie tribute gig in the local ampitheatre on the beach. i had a bag full of cans, the sun was shining, the band were tremendous and the singer looked and sounded identical to the real thing.....

the best concert experiences are ussually due to the charisma and vibe of the band/musician. connection between a band and the audience is crucial!
Old 08.19.2007, 05:14 AM   #120
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
bowie was good, then great then absolutely devastating then good then god awful for a long long time. then acceptable then totally awe inspiring. he is more influenical than his music ever was!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth