Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page how does this happen?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.16.2006, 10:29 AM   #1
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
how do we end up with the music genres we end up with? It's retarded. Most of them HAD to have started as a joke, e.g. screamo, skacore, etc. Then at some point they caught one. But I can't stand anybody who can say the word screamo with a straight face. The fact that someone can use a word that so aptly describes emo music with screaming without cringing makes me sick. These "screamo" bands are all horrible, because they have no deep roots in their music. They aren't incorporating influences of the music they grew up on and that help shape who they are. They are incorporating the music they've been listening to for the past 2 years. And just like a tree with shallow roots, they will produce rotten fruit. Actually, that may not be true with trees, but it sounded good. Plus it rhymed.

P.S. Sorry for the wandering rant...
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 10:41 AM   #2
Almost Crimes
empty page

Almost Crimes has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
How is screamo a joke? It evolved from emo, which was a very valid genre of the 1990s. Screamo is pretty much dead nowadays, but some of the bands of the 90s were great... Orchid, Joshua Fit For Battle, Kodan Armada, Sed Non Satiata, Song of Zarathustra... Sorry but you sound like an idiot.
Almost Crimes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 10:44 AM   #3
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
I pretty much agree with you afterthefact.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 10:59 AM   #4
Almost Crimes
empty page

Too many people are musically retarded and/or gullible and actually believe that MTV bands like My Chemical Romance and Fall Out Boy actually represent emo... the original emo died in the 90s.

It would be like someone hearing Arctic Monkeys and hating them. Then they hear that they are "indie" so they completely write off indie bands like Sonic Youth or Dinosaur Jr. It's just ignorant.
Old 06.16.2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
What the fuck is screamo anyway? Emo but with scream-y vocals?
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 11:04 AM   #6
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I was just bored and sort of ranting, I know there is emo, and then there is "emo." I'm talking about the silversteins and hawthornes heights, and the chiodos, not good emo like rites of spring and stuff from the late 80's, when all it was was good ol' hardcore punk with just slightly more sensitive lyrics. But screamo, to the best of my knowledge, is pretty new as a genre. Like I said though, that's just to the best of my knowledge, I don't tend to dig deep into subjects I'm not too interested in.
Old 06.16.2006, 11:06 AM   #7
afterthefact
invito al cielo

yes, Iain, that's exactly what it is.
Old 06.16.2006, 11:56 AM   #8
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it all sucks. rock is rock.

anytime a band puts fashion before it's music they SUCK.

many bands can be classified as "emo" (american football, Metroschifter, etc.) that just rock. screamo is a joke.
Old 06.16.2006, 12:28 PM   #9
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
these bands have no depth whatsoever and are meant for the whores of pop culture. I know quite a few people at school who were the kind who were hyped to see TASTE OF CHAOS! of course, they don't realize most of the bands are shit (silverstien, atreyu, as i lay dying (the most retarded name ever), deftones, to name a few). But, I think this will die soon
LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 12:31 PM   #10
afterthefact
invito al cielo

yes, thank you! and also, what is with the name of these bands? they all have either a day, month, or season in their name. you can just make one up off the top of your head, like, "autumn brings september flames," and there is probably a band out there with that same name.
Old 06.16.2006, 12:39 PM   #11
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
so bad are the names, that it gives away the theme of all their songs just by seeing it

and all these bands talk about the same things! No originality or surreal or weird lyrics!
LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 12:40 PM   #12
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
yes, thank you! and also, what is with the name of these bands? they all have either a day, month, or season in their name. you can just make one up off the top of your head, like, "autumn brings september flames," and there is probably a band out there with that same name.

Dude!!!! That's MY band's name! I'll sue!!!!!
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 02:09 PM   #13
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
I can't remember who said it, and i'm pretty sure someone has it as their signature on the board but theres a quote that goes "there's only 2 types of music, good music and bad music," maybe it was Coltrane or Miles Davis that said it, but it's very true.
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 02:14 PM   #14
Almost Crimes
empty page

I'm not even going to bother to educate you idiots, you can continue hating genres that have nothing to do with mainstream music.

"Omg, Hawthorne Heights suck, this is what all emo music sounds like? What a shit genre!"

"Omg, Arctic Monkeys suck, this is what all indie music sounds like? What a shit genre!"

Same, immature, and wrong, mentality.
Old 06.16.2006, 02:14 PM   #15
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Every band in my high school is a screamo band. I don't get how they enjoy that type of music. Maybe they're just trying to be cool.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 02:15 PM   #16
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 02:20 PM   #17
Almost Crimes
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
I think early screamo is good, like thurday. their first record is really good. Plus they had talent.
Again, shows, that no one here understands the genres you're talking about

Thursday could be more classified as post-hardcore, which is a more modern genre (which is actually also what you could classify bands such as Atreyu in, but they're not good anyways.) Also, they wouldn't be early screamo even if they were screamo to begin with. They're from the late 90s and still make music today. Nearly all the bands that were in the screamo genre broke up in the 90s. It's rare to hear a real screamo band these days.

City of Caterpillar, Envy, Pg. 99 and Saetia were some of the older (and more popular) screamo bands that came around in the mid-late 90s but none of them make music anymore either.
Old 06.16.2006, 02:25 PM   #18
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Crimes
Again, shows, that no one here understands the genres you're talking about

Thursday could be more classified as post-hardcore, which is a more modern genre (which is actually also what you could classify bands such as Atreyu in, but they're not good anyways.) Also, they wouldn't be early screamo even if they were screamo to begin with. They're from the late 90s and still make music today. Nearly all the bands that were in the screamo genre broke up in the 90s. It's rare to hear a real screamo band these days.

City of Caterpillar, Envy, Pg. 99 and Saetia were some of the older (and more popular) screamo bands that came around in the mid-late 90s but none of them make music anymore either.

oh fuck, i was thinking of something else. You are correct. maybe emo I dont know. Nevermind.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.16.2006, 03:10 PM   #20
afterthefact
invito al cielo

almost crimes, it's not immature, it's just being tired of having screamo shoved in our faces all the time, and the bands I'm refering to are silverstien and hawthorne heights, and the like. If there are older screamo bands, that's great, and I'm glad you like it, but I don't care enough to dig deep into it. All I know is what I hate, and I hate what is, at least by most, called screamo. let it go...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth