Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Microsoft officially release Windows Vista today!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.30.2007, 05:25 PM   #41
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
I don't have a clue about french, by the way.

ha ha ha neither do i

anyway, macs. im still waiting for inhuman to tell me about fedora apps. fedora. have they evolved much? i used to run rh9, it was nice but a royal pain in the ass to install anything. how are they doing, these days?

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 05:38 PM   #42
noumenal
expwy. to yr skull

noumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard suckanoumenal cold hard sucka
I'm a computer geek. I build my puter from the ground up and I insist on having control over every single piece of hardware. In addition, I play PC games a lot - not those online roleplaying games. Not one of those people.

For my purposes, only the PC makes sense. I've also read some gaming magazines that have been pushing Vista as the best platform for games ever. But I'm sure Microsoft has been paying them off and sending geisha girls to give them blow jobs and whatnot. Oh well. MSNBC keeps talking about Vista too. MSnbc......

WORKERS! BRING ME TWINKIES AND ROOT BEER! NOW! Thank you, bitches. NOW INSEMINATE ME. Awesome.
noumenal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 05:41 PM   #43
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
The bastards. Way to make me feel out of date, Microsoft.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 05:45 PM   #44
compulsive diarrhea, jico
100%

compulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's asses
what's the rush in getting vista?
compulsive diarrhea, jico is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 06:16 PM   #45
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
It looks awesome and I don't have it.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2007, 07:54 PM   #46
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hm... got any recommendations for a good web development prog for linux? something comparable to, say, dreamweaver?

W3C actually has a WYSIWIG editor like Dreamweaver available for Linux, but it's terrible! NVU is what most people use for web development for linux The lack of Adobe software is terrible for linux, which is the only reason why I still have a PC. Linux is still back at Adobe Photoshop 7.
Old 01.31.2007, 12:12 PM   #47
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Green Party asks: who has the key to your Vista PC?

29th Jan 2007
Green party slams Vista Landfill nightmare

Microsoft's latest operating system, due for release tomorrow, is defective by design, putting Microsoft and the corporate media in control of your computer. (1)
Beneath the gloss they have hidden traps that take away important consumer rights, force expensive and environmentally damaging hardware upgrades.
All computer hardware, such as monitors and sound cards, will have to obey Microsoft's rules for encrypting content in order for consumers to use Vista to play 'premium' content, such as Blu-Ray and HD DVD disks. Although it is unlikely to prevent copying, it will make Vista more attractive to Hollywood film distributors, while also locking them into a Vista content distribution system.
Derek Wall, Green Party Male Principal Speaker, said: "So-called 'digital rights management' technology in Vista gives Microsoft the ability to lock you out of your computer. Technology should increase our opportunities to consume media, create our own and share it with others.
"But Vista helps the corporate media take away our consumer rights. Silence in government betrays a shocking complacency in the face of this latest attack on our rights."
Vista will also be power hungry, as it requires more processing time to encrypt and decrypt 'premium' content, and looks around the computer every few milliseconds to check that nothing is trying to distribute de-coded 'premium' video or sound.
He continued, "Vista requires more expensive and energy-hungry hardware, passing the cost on to consumers and the environment. This will also further exclude the poor from the latest technology, and impose burdensome costs on small and medium businesses who will be forced to enter another expensive upgrade cycle."
Consumers, businesses and government bodies should protect their interests by migrating to free software, rather than upgrading to Vista, says Wall.
"Free software can run on existing hardware, reduces licensing costs for small businesses and affords important freedoms to consumers. The UK Government should capitalise on this opportunity to promote the use of free software in public bodies."
Greens predict that an enormous amount of hardware will be junked by consumers and companies as Vista will refuse to play Blu-Ray and HD DVD content with current monitors and sound cards.
Siān Berry, Green Party Female Principal Speaker added:
"There will be thousands of tonnes of dumped monitors, video cards and whole computers that are perfectly capable of running Vista - except for the fact they lack the paranoid lock down mechanisms Vista forces you to use. That's an offensive cost to the environment.
"Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade Layer' when they go through our landfill sites."
By controlling the technology that delivers video content on computers, and owning the licenses that make the hardware and software work, Microsoft will be in a very strong position to dictate terms to consumers and content producers. Apple's itunes store works in a similar way already, selling songs that can only be played on Apple ipods and iTunes software.
"We should remember that this is about Microsoft trying to dictate the way that video content gets delivered - much as Apple are trying to do with iTunes - in order to corner the market.
"Now is the time to act, if we want to see the Microsoft monopoly kept out of the video market."
She added that Green Party also supported complaints by computer manufacturers that XAML, a Vista-only internet mark-up standard, would be another attempt to extend Microsoft's virtual monopoly.(2)
"Microsoft are determined not to play fair and we hope the EU stand up to them. The best way of course is to insist that we purchase products that work with open rather than closed standards."
(1) www.microsoft.com
(2) www.theglobeandmail.com
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2007, 04:57 PM   #48
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
W3C actually has a WYSIWIG editor like Dreamweaver available for Linux, but it's terrible! NVU is what most people use for web development for linux The lack of Adobe software is terrible for linux, which is the only reason why I still have a PC. Linux is still back at Adobe Photoshop 7.

oh hm see the thing is i don't need a wysiwyg-- i hate that shit-- i use the browser to see what i handcode.

what i like about dreamweaver is a) the ability to create templates, b) the ability to update links, directories, etc. as you rename a file, c) the color picker for ccs selectors that saves me the trouble at times of looking up a chart.

will it do that? if so, fuckit!

(i still have dreamweaver mx educational version because, ha, it was free, at the time).
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2007, 05:04 PM   #49
compulsive diarrhea, jico
100%

compulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's assescompulsive diarrhea, jico kicks all y'all's asses
inhuman i might need your help man, i had this asp website on a windows server but it was exceeding bandwidth by about 700% so due to money problems we had to change it to a linux server. i'm trying to make it work with apache-asp, are you any good with perl?
compulsive diarrhea, jico is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2007, 11:19 PM   #50
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oh hm see the thing is i don't need a wysiwyg-- i hate that shit-- i use the browser to see what i handcode.

what i like about dreamweaver is a) the ability to create templates, b) the ability to update links, directories, etc. as you rename a file, c) the color picker for ccs selectors that saves me the trouble at times of looking up a chart.

will it do that? if so, fuckit!

(i still have dreamweaver mx educational version because, ha, it was free, at the time).

Yep, it supports templates, has a built in FTP manager w, a CSS Style manager (equivalent to the document properties section in Dreamweaver). The downside is no updating links when renamed, moved, etc..., no color picker, and the tag will not automatically complete or suggest possible tags when typing one. Other than that it seems great for freeware.

I barely use WYSIWYG myself as well. I find them really handy when positioning a DIV or table though, I can give them that.

Here's the download link for the windows version if you want to take a look:
http://cvs.nvu.com/download/nvu-1.0-...aller-full.exe

Quote:
inhuman i might need your help man, i had this asp website on a windows server but it was exceeding bandwidth by about 700% so due to money problems we had to change it to a linux server. i'm trying to make it work with apache-asp, are you any good with perl?

Sorry man, I'd love to help and would if I could, but I don't know much about asp .
Old 02.01.2007, 08:45 AM   #51
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Well I got my hands on vista at my local circuit city and yes it looks nice. It even seems like it works well, then again I froze it running three programs to the awe of the microsoft rep standing with his arms crossed waiting for me to fall in love with this os. I essentially crashed his machine with IE7, Acrobat Reader and WMP.

I called him out on the Mac inspired interface and all the innovative new features which are and have been old reliable for a Mac user.

I've been with windows since 3.0, I believe 1988, and since then have always had issues with microsoft. Like Tokolosh said, you can get a PC to run with a Mac, but you end up spending a lot more money than you think. For all you die-hard windows people that think Macs are just boutique machines, think again, apple is pushing the boundaries on all fronts, with the Intel duo core now in the Mac's, they are much faster than the G4/5's and cheaper as well. Compare Dell's XPS high end laptop with Apple's Mac Book Pro high end laptop, there isn't that much of a price difference, but the performance and stability difference is enormous. I've owned my ibook G4 for about two years and haven't had it crash on me yet, oh and !@#$! I know mac's can crash, every computer can be crashed, but the frequency of the crashes is less and the workload amount is more. My father in law recently gave us his old dell tower and I booted it up to have a look, I just shut down, Windows just doesn't have the same flow as a Mac does it doesn't run as smooth and its aesthetic is awful.
And my final thought is this old addage: ''Either you get it or you don't''
I think with Mac computers thats the truth, either you understand the interface and fall in love with it or you don't and need that Windows pain.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2007, 08:59 AM   #52
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
Well I got my hands on vista at my local circuit city and yes it looks nice. It even seems like it works well, then again I froze it running three programs to the awe of the microsoft rep standing with his arms crossed waiting for me to fall in love with this os. I essentially crashed his machine with IE7, Acrobat Reader and WMP.
I'm not surprised. Vista's still in it's infancy, but thats very sad. *takes another sip of his strawberry milkshake*
I can really picture that microsoft rep nervously blushing when the crash occured. I hope that you made him eat his own words.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2007, 09:08 AM   #53
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
I got a bunch of experience in computer tech, especially about hardware that was my job some years ago and I have to say there are many problems in both sides: MAC and Win hardware related thing. Man is damned back respect what we think about.
but anyway here what I tested:

Mac: 1/5 bad manufactured from apple (and bad support from apple local 'genius'!)
Win: depends from components.good components make a solid hardware and more elastics respect all the peacock apple products.

about software I'm for LINUX.it is the future. it's made by users from allover the world so problems and solutions come from all over the world. It's a great thing that only a system like linux actually has.

during the years I bought pcs and macs with the same result: PROBLEMS
then, things work and so it goes on but this doesnt mean they are goodmade just cause they work right now.
Old 02.01.2007, 09:33 AM   #54
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Good post Next Step. I think it's really what you use your computer for. Linux is VERY smooth running after you get everything set up for sure. I agree with the terrible manufacturing of macs too, I would NEVER get an iPod. I do fancy the iBook though, and plan to buy one as soon as they fix the discoloration issue.

Windows = Gaming, practical use
Mac = Graphic Design / Web design + development, practical use
Linux = Development, practical use (if you're good at computers), web design, web development, server
Old 02.01.2007, 09:51 AM   #55
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to get a linux machine. Heard a lot of good stuff about it.
Old 02.01.2007, 09:54 AM   #56
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
ahahhaha Windows = Gaming, practical use
well at work they use windows as a client right?: well maybe cause it's good for gaming and practical use!

at this moment my poorbook G4 is affected by the common syndrome of the lower slot memory: something like Alzheimer. too bad!
Old 02.01.2007, 10:03 AM   #57
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Windows = Gaming, practical use
Mac = Graphic Design / Web design + development, practical use
Linux = Development, practical use (if you're good at computers), web design, web development, server

I noticed that you give Linux the upper hand.
Is there something wrong with Mac OS X Server software, running on a Xserve RAID hardware system?
Enlighten me.
Old 02.01.2007, 11:59 AM   #58
tparker
empty page

tparker is a jewel in the roughtparker is a jewel in the roughtparker is a jewel in the rough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-L-0s-7-Z0
tparker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.01.2007, 12:17 PM   #59
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
I noticed that you give Linux the upper hand.
Is there something wrong with Mac OS X Server software, running on a Xserve RAID hardware system?
Enlighten me.

There really isn't too much difference. A lot of people claim that OSX Server is similar to running a linux server, but doesn't allow as easy accessability. It is also claimed that linux has easier database management. Also, if you're using 3rd party hosting, generally they offer either windows or linux hosting, and giving linux many more pros than Windows. But I've never hosted a server myself; and I especially don't know much about Mac OS X server, but I know that linux is generally upperhand in comparison to windows
Old 02.01.2007, 12:26 PM   #60
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by next step
ahahhaha Windows = Gaming, practical use
well at work they use windows as a client right?: well maybe cause it's good for gaming and practical use!

Haha, you have to take accessability into perspective. many workplaces will use windows because that's the operating system that most people have the most knowledge about, and thus making it easier to use

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth