Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page I applied
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.19.2008, 07:21 AM   #41
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripchord
Tell me about it, I'm applying to 14 schools
yikes, at $60 a school?
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 07:22 AM   #42
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
College is overrated.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 09:13 AM   #43
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeonguitar
I was intending on applying to all UCs but then I found out I didn't have enough "approved" math credits. (I graduated from a private school, and completed junior and senior years together out of my own choice. Little did I know, the UC application does not consider my trigonometry to be college-preparatory math.)

So, I'm stuck in Sacramento City College for two years until I can transfer. I guess this is a little bit better because I can save a good $20,000 and have better chances of getting into my top-choice school, UCLA.

Just curious, Alex's Trip, what were your credentials? GPA, extra curricculars, SAT/ACT, etc.

(Oh, and good luck!)
I have about...a 4.45 GPA, I'm the speech and debate president, and in the last few years I've done a few other club activities. I went to Sacramento recently for "Boy's State" some stupid week long thing that apparently looks really good on college apps. My SAT was 2090, and my SAT II was 770 for Math Level II and 700 for US History.
Old 11.19.2008, 09:45 AM   #44
Green_mind
the end of the ugly

Green_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's assesGreen_mind kicks all y'all's asses
You're not a Gilmore girl are you? :P
Green_mind is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 01:03 PM   #45
Ripchord
the destroyed room

Ripchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex's Trip
I have about...a 4.45 GPA, I'm the speech and debate president, and in the last few years I've done a few other club activities. I went to Sacramento recently for "Boy's State" some stupid week long thing that apparently looks really good on college apps. My SAT was 2090, and my SAT II was 770 for Math Level II and 700 for US History.

Shit, bitch.

Ripchord is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 01:52 PM   #46
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 02:28 PM   #47
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
in cali you should go to a good community college first, and transfer to the university, it is cheaper, easier, and more effective. You often have the same instructors as they teach part time across the area to make some $$$ and build up resume experience, and also, you will relieve the burden of the terribly clogged California public university system, which is a mess right now to overcrowding and corruption.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 05:19 PM   #48
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

awesome, you can be prezzident of nerdistan-- i recall that "boy's state" and your no-boy experience there. but in any case, yeah you bastard, don't sell yourself short, go for the win. will and grace or no will and grace, you have it in you to shake the shit in this land, if you so wish.

in any case you can teach AND be some sort of policymaker as well-- i once interviewed this TFA volunteer who was going to law school after her stint as a rural teacher. another wanted to become a legislator in her home state to bring about change in education.

here is the thing:

http://www.teachforamerica.org/

it's a brilliant step and full of idealistic fools just out of college. check it out if you're interested in teachingdom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
in cali you should go to a good community college first, and transfer to the university, it is cheaper, easier, and more effective.

completely false in alex's case. one benefits from one's classmates as much if not often more than from one's teachers. bekerley gets some of the smartest motherfuckers on this planet, some of which study to run and repair supercolliders, not air conditioners. to miss a chance to go to a place like that would be sheer and utter goofiness from his part-- cost be damned!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 06:38 PM   #49
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
in cali you should go to a good community college first, and transfer to the university, it is cheaper, easier, and more effective. You often have the same instructors as they teach part time across the area to make some $$$ and build up resume experience, and also, you will relieve the burden of the terribly clogged California public university system, which is a mess right now to overcrowding and corruption.
No thanks. I've come to realize how much the "mainstream" students (or "non-AP" students, which sounds condescending anyway you put it) really hate me and my fellow classmates. They really think we're all nerds and total losers (which isn't true, damn it!). During the disaster drill my Calculus teacher had us take out our assignment on the field because she thought it was a waste of time, and I overheard a bunch of other kids mocking us. "OH! We gotta study!" "Hey guys, let's bring our homework with us because math is F-U-N!" As pretentious or snotty as it may sound, I don't mix well with those who go to community college. I mean, I have plenty of friends who aren't in AP classes, and I like a lot of them, but I'd much prefer to be around those of similar mind sets and intelligence. I hate saying it because of how snobby it makes me sound, but it really is true! A friend and I had actually talked about making a documentary about what each group of people in our school thought of the other for the Film Festival in May. It probably won't happen though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
awesome, you can be prezzident of nerdistan-- i recall that "boy's state" and your no-boy experience there. but in any case, yeah you bastard, don't sell yourself short, go for the win. will and grace or no will and grace, you have it in you to shake the shit in this land, if you so wish.
Yeah. I am a geek at heart, but it isn't like I don't have social skills. Today a bunch of "AP Scholars" (those who took 3 or more AP tests and passed at least 2 of them) and I had our pictures taken for the school newspaper. I tried to get out of it just to save myself the embarrassment, but it was a big group photo so I figured that I'd be lost in the crowd anyway.

Quote:
completely false in alex's case. one benefits from one's classmates as much if not often more than from one's teachers. bekerley gets some of the smartest motherfuckers on this planet, some of which study to run and repair supercolliders, not air conditioners. to miss a chance to go to a place like that would be sheer and utter goofiness from his part-- cost be damned!
Agree. Agree. Agree.
Old 11.19.2008, 06:40 PM   #50
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead

...Natalie Dee is for nerds.

(no she isn't )
Old 11.19.2008, 07:02 PM   #51
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
eh, fuck, be a nerd and proud!

i mean what is a "nerd"-- someone who thinks? for fucks sakes...

anyway, i dont know if youve ever seen this ancient movie--- hilarious

yes its full of clichEs and shit-- but it was made in the last century!

anyway man, fuckit. enjoy what you are (even if it's not a "nerd" nerd).
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.19.2008, 07:48 PM   #52
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

what difference does that make for some general eductation survey coursework? Its all the same bullshit across the state for the first 40 units of ANY degree in California, and as I said, the same instructors teach across the place. When I went to my local community college, ALL of my instructors were part-timers at the big universities which shall remain nameless. Going to University before Junior year is a status-ego thing. the biggest disappointment for me when I transferred was the the university was full of inexperience kids who were not serious about shit. It was like an enormous community college with nice name!

Old 11.19.2008, 09:39 PM   #53
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Quote:
what difference does that make for some general eductation survey coursework? Its all the same bullshit across the state for the first 40 units of ANY degree in California, and as I said, the same instructors teach across the place. When I went to my local community college, ALL of my instructors were part-timers at the big universities which shall remain nameless. Going to University before Junior year is a status-ego thing. the biggest disappointment for me when I transferred was the the university was full of inexperience kids who were not serious about shit. It was like an enormous community college with nice name!
Because of all the AP classes I've taken, and AP tests I've passed I'll be able to by-pass a lot of the general ed classes. My friend at Berkeley who is in her second year there, enrolled as a sophomore because she was able to get so many classes out of the way in high school.

Also, you really failed to address what !@#$% said. Being around other people that were "smart enough" (though grades aren't the only/best indicator of intelligence) to be accepted into Cal can open me to new ideas, reinforce my own, change my perspective, and foster my education to a far greater extent than being in community college can.

Edit: And I've worked too fucking hard. I worked my ass off intending to get into a University. I'm not going to allow all that time and energy to have been in vain.
Old 11.19.2008, 09:44 PM   #54
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

the debating team doesnt do much for me, but the math does. are you cute? you're 17 though arent you? I dont date younger guys. wait, I do.. six months is my limit at the moment.
Old 11.19.2008, 09:48 PM   #55
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

I <3 math, but I also <3 boys. Sorry honey.
Old 11.20.2008, 04:55 PM   #56
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Because of all the AP classes I've taken, and AP tests I've passed I'll be able to by-pass a lot of the general ed classes. My friend at Berkeley who is in her second year there, enrolled as a sophomore because she was able to get so many classes out of the way in high school.

Also, you really failed to address what !@#$% said. Being around other people that were "smart enough" (though grades aren't the only/best indicator of intelligence) to be accepted into Cal can open me to new ideas, reinforce my own, change my perspective, and foster my education to a far greater extent than being in community college can.

Edit: And I've worked too fucking hard. I worked my ass off intending to get into a University. I'm not going to allow all that time and energy to have been in vain.

the only thing I failed to notice was the AP thing, which means as you explained, you already have a portion of your general education completed for college credit, and you are essentially transferring into the university.

but let me warn you, if you expect to find a bunch of people like yourself you are in for a surprise, the universities are equally full of dumb asses with no ambition as everywhere else in the world. do it for yourself, not the people you might meet. Meet people for fun, get an education to learn.
Quote:
No thanks. I've come to realize how much the "mainstream" students (or "non-AP" students, which sounds condescending anyway you put it) really hate me and my fellow classmates. They really think we're all nerds and total losers (which isn't true, damn it!). During the disaster drill my Calculus teacher had us take out our assignment on the field because she thought it was a waste of time, and I overheard a bunch of other kids mocking us. "OH! We gotta study!" "Hey guys, let's bring our homework with us because math is F-U-N!" As pretentious or snotty as it may sound, I don't mix well with those who go to community college.

the university will be full of these people my friend, you can not avoid the world, I took those nerdy classes in highschool to, but I liked to help the nerds break out of their social awkwardness. I say, break out of your shell, don't just look for another one.

Old 11.20.2008, 05:03 PM   #57
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
french intellectual wankery.
Old 11.20.2008, 05:19 PM   #58
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
its ok greedrex... I still like France

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2008, 05:22 PM   #59
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
C'est beau la France

Old 11.20.2008, 05:35 PM   #60
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
give all the schools that turn you down one of these

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth