Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page opinions on future of my blog
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.05.2011, 08:45 AM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
rfgeneration.com/blogs/noiseredux

I know some of you are regular readers. Looking for some feedback/thoughts... (copypaste from my RB post):

------------------------------------------------------------------------

when I started the GBPL blog it was basically a means of me talking about the games I was playing RIGHT NOW. Y'know? And at the time the only thing I played was GB, GBC, GBA and a the Cube. So the blog started out representing just that. However in the past year I've also gotten into a lot of other stuff. I got a Wii and a DS for instance. And my interest in shmups has even led me to rebuy a PS2 now.

My natural inclination is to continue the blog writing about well, whatever it is that I'm playing. I would do so with the same level of thoroughness as I'm a pretty anal person. I guess my reservation is that most readers now see it as y'know "the Game Boy blog" (which, with the title and all, I can understand). But in the past year I did start including some GameCube entries here and there.

Anyway, just looking for feedback. I guess the question is this: do you visit GBPL just because it's about GB, or is because you enjoy the writing or the style of the blog in general?

I suppose my fear is that if I were to keep it ONLY GB-related, then there's a chance that there could be some lulls between entries if some time went by where I was playing other stuff instead.

Anyway... thoughts?

EDIT:

I think that what most people are missing in the question is this:

If I spend time playing a ton of OTHER games this year, then I might write (let's just make up numbers) 20 GB related articles and 20 OTHER related articles.

So the question is would you rather see 20 GB articles and 20 OTHER articles, or 20 GB articles and NO OTHER articles?
Old 01.05.2011, 09:14 AM   #2
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I read your blog for Gameboy reviews. The more Gameboy reviews - the better. I think instead of shifting focus away from Gameboy games (sorta), you should focus less on only games that you're currently playing. I suggest that you cover more Gameboy games, ones that you may not be playing now, but have played thoroughly before. Maybe give 'em a quick re-boot right before reviewing, just to get back in the flow of each game.

However, it may be interesting hearing reviews on other platforms' titles from a Gameboy player such as yourself. You should do something special with these, to establish that fact. Maybe a quirky title or something, I dunno. But I think your blog would lose a majority of its flavor, given its title, if you begin to review too many games that are not on the Gameboy. I enjoy the GB-exclusivity of your blog, it makes it unique, and I would honestly feel a bit betrayed, as a fan, if you lost that factor.

DS games are a different story, since the DS is also a Nintendo handheld, so I feel they can be reviewed aplenty without the blog losing its initial theme. Same goes for the 3DS when it comes out, that would be perfectly understandable. I'd stay away from reviewing any Wii, or especially any PS2 games though.

Just my thoughts.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2011, 09:31 AM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
thanks for being honest. I guess my thought is I'd like to see it be sort of a retro-history blog. As you know I"m a huge fan of HG101. I'd like to be able to branch out a bit I guess. Some of my best posts now are based on what I was excited about or just discovering at the moment (IE: I bought an arcade stick so then I started playing tons of shmups, etc)

if I were to add other content, it would still remain GB-heavy

I also like the idea of comparing GB ports to other console versions. I always find that sort of thing interesting.

but at the same time, I'm looking for a lot of feedback on this cuz I fear making any readers feel "betrayed" or of losing readers.

I have to say so far the opinions seem almost 50/50, but I'm actually surprised how many readers say "don't write about somethign else"

a little part of me feels weird about that (like y'all don't think I'll have anything interesting to say about a non-GB game? haha) but hey it is what it is, and I guess I did build up a fanbase around a very niche thing.

I'm still not certain what I'll do yet, but I do enjoy getting feedback and opinions, so thanks.
Old 01.06.2011, 06:18 AM   #4
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
So the question is would you rather see 20 GB articles and 20 OTHER articles, or 20 GB articles and NO OTHER articles?__________________

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

review whatcha want. I know some people might feel "betrayed" but I think you should review the games you like the most....or feel you need to share with the gaming community.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2011, 08:29 AM   #5
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
So the question is would you rather see 20 GB articles and 20 OTHER articles, or 20 GB articles and NO OTHER articles?__________________

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

review whatcha want. I know some people might feel "betrayed" but I think you should review the games you like the most....or feel you need to share with the gaming community.

thanks evol, that's how I mostly feel. I mean if I dropped down to posting way less than usual but it was GB-only people would probably be like "um where'd you go?" but if I posted about other stuff to (the stuff I was exploring at the moment and excited about) who knows -- maybe it would still be interesting?
Old 01.06.2011, 08:36 AM   #6
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
hmmm
my view onto your blog was like you ve found a game which was good enough to write about. like a mid twentysomething is re-exploring his videogame collection. or sometimes found new titles on the web, fleamarket etc.
it never was really under the gameboy umbrella for me. always took that as gimmicky or ignoreable (dont get me wrong with this, the explanation comes ).
maybe (!!!) the reason for this is that all the handhelds which fall under the gameboyplayer banner span a pretty broad field, technically. for example the original / color gameboy is like the NES, the gba is like the SNES and the DS is like the N64. that are alone 3 full generations of consoles which differ a LOT sometimes.
so for ME a good thing was that I knew it will be a portable game you are referring to, that means I can play it whereever I am, which is pretty important for me at the moment.
I hope I make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
thanks evol, that's how I mostly feel. I mean if I dropped down to posting way less than usual but it was GB-only people would probably be like "um where'd you go?" but if I posted about other stuff to (the stuff I was exploring at the moment and excited about) who knows -- maybe it would still be interesting?

the most interesting thing about your blog is the passion which drips out of every word you are writing! there is an instant feel why you feature that game at the moment. there must be something good about it!!!
No matter if its GB related or about the arcade stick

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2011, 09:07 AM   #7
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbray2.0
the most interesting thing about your blog is the passion which drips out of every word you are writing! there is an instant feel why you feature that game at the moment. there must be something good about it!!!
No matter if its GB related or about the arcade stick

yes....this.....Reading something by someone who is VERY into the subject makes reading it much more fun. and i think if there is a ps2/ or anyother console game which you seriously love.....I say why the hell not write about it.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2011, 09:09 AM   #8
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
yes thats what I was trying to say
excuse me my brain isnt my friend at the moment, because of the fever.

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2011, 09:11 AM   #9
noisereductions
invito al cielo

thanks dudes (al & evol) I appreciate that. I actually put up a poll on RB about this, and it's been mostly split down the middle, but seems like the "write about whatever you want" option is always slightly in the lead.
Old 01.08.2011, 01:39 AM   #10
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
You're just an interesting person to discuss video games with, so whether it be GB games or other random stuff I still lurk. I think people personally read you for your style, as opposed to strictly what you might be talking about, you know?

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth