Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.25.2016, 11:07 AM   #20301
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
BAD SANTA

of course

(the first one)
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2016, 11:19 PM   #20302
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
GG Allen -Hated.

most of it disturbed and disgusted me. can't say I really liked it because im not into art self hate retard performance art.

though after exploring more of GG, I think his vocals and lyrics were kinda cool. he had a really snotty/mean voice but, man that shitting on or off staged shit and rubbing shit in da face shit/punching members attending the concert in the face well, it really didn't do it for me.

note: that he didn't really have much of a pecker/dick but something that was absent from his art which may be the cause of it all. poor guy. it wasn't even a inch long!!! the dudes dick doesn't even swagger below his balls. it juts pokes out like a pinky

anyway, sick shit. this GG was.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2016, 11:37 PM   #20303
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
die hard 1 2 & 3 in the original vhs bha ha ha

terrible movies in general but better this shit than chrismas with the kranks or worse
Old 12.28.2016, 07:29 AM   #20304
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Alien 1-4

Ended up rethinking my ranking. Came away quite liking Aliens. Still irritating but it does what it does better than 99% sf-action films.

New ranking:

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3 (Good in its own right, but out of step with the series)
Alien: Ressurection (A bit of a mess, saved by a couple of decent scenes)

Tootsie

Great period-piece rom-com.

The King of Comedy

Tragi-comedy where Sandra Bernhard steals the show (almost literally). Shame she hasn't been in more movies.

Carlito's Way

I've tried to like this film so many times but something about it just seems really off.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2016, 07:36 AM   #20305
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Manhattan Murder Mystery

Enjoyable but eventually quite tedious.

Across 110th Street

Excellent 70s gangster/blaxploitation movie. Sits somewhere between Mean Streets and Foxy Brown.
Old 12.30.2016, 12:40 AM   #20306
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Blue Velvet

On a bit of a Lynch marathon at the moment. Still blows me away, maybe even more now than ever.

Love that one but my personal favorite of his (in the latter Lynch years) remains "Mulholland Drive". Saw it in a theater with like 2 other people upon initial release and towards the end, just when shit is getting REALLY heavy and psychedelic, the projector broke and the reel burned. I sat there, shaking in my seat for like 2-3 minutes before I realized it wasn't part of the movie. Now THAT'S immersive cinema.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2016, 12:59 AM   #20307
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

daaaamn demonyo, you've been on a roll

& hank hill not from arlen, that's a great story

--

i saw monty python and the holy grail-- good laughs

i saw some japanese action shit that disappointed me greatly-- the machine girl (i think that's the title) and robo geisha. both nikkatsu movies both from the same director (coincidence), both start with great insane action but then turn into some lame flashback soap opera of explanations and big fucking yawn.

so i returned them unfinished

what else. hm. rr. i forget right now. had a fever etc.

oh yes, saw a bunch of rez movies

drunktown's finest - meh
powwow highway - funny, absurd
smoke signals - best injun movie made so far, no question
Old 12.30.2016, 03:43 AM   #20308
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill51
Love that one but my personal favorite of his (in the latter Lynch years) remains "Mulholland Drive". Saw it in a theater with like 2 other people upon initial release and towards the end, just when shit is getting REALLY heavy and psychedelic, the projector broke and the reel burned. I sat there, shaking in my seat for like 2-3 minutes before I realized it wasn't part of the movie. Now THAT'S immersive cinema.

Haha, wow! A burning reel would've actually been the perfect ending to that movie.

Watched Mona Lisa again last night.

Great film. Bob Hoskins before selling out to Hollywood silliness (Roger Rabbit).
Old 12.30.2016, 11:01 AM   #20309
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
die hard 1 2 & 3 in the original vhs bha ha ha

terrible movies in general but better this shit than chrismas with the kranks or worse

Hey now, I don't really think the first Die Hard can be called a terrible movie. The second. yes. The third was better than the second but still, woof. I didn't watch the crap after that. But the first is classic sort of.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2016, 11:06 AM   #20310
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses

Just re-watched for the first time in a few years. Liked it perhaps even more than I did before. Great movie.
Old 12.30.2016, 11:22 AM   #20311
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Drive so unrealistic though. I just couldn't get past that. I haven't seen 11oth st in a while, but I recall it had a great soundtrack?
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2016, 11:24 AM   #20312
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

Just re-watched for the first time in a few years. Liked it perhaps even more than I did before. Great movie.

liked that movie very much.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2016, 11:39 AM   #20313
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
liked that movie very much.

Yeah, me too. I wasn't sure it would hold up. When I first saw it I was a bit blown away by the atmosphere and the music and the performances and how utterly different it was from what I expected after seeing the previews (looked like a stylized Bourne Identity type thing in the trailers). But it knocked me out because of its unexpectedness and the nature of its intensity.

I didn't know if it would still be a home run after three or four years. But this time I paid a lot more attention to the symbolism and the silent motivations of the characters, and the precision of the direction. I think just about every element of every shot is deliberate. There's no idle dialogue or random filler. It's planned out and executed like one of Driver's (here "the kid's") getaway routs at the start of the film.

I maintain that it's one of the best movies of the decade. I thought I was kind of alone in this, and that I was defending a movie that didn't meet traditional standards of "goodness" or whatever, but I hadn't realized Nicolas Winding Refn won the Best Director award at Cannes 2011, or that it was at or near the top of so many critic lists for that year.

Anyway, if you haven't seen Drive, see fucking Drive for the love of all that is holy.
Old 12.30.2016, 11:44 AM   #20314
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Hey now, I don't really think the first Die Hard can be called a terrible movie. The second. yes. The third was better than the second but still, woof. I didn't watch the crap after that. But the first is classic sort of.
i've seen it too many times to be impressed by it anymore

instead teh america-rah-rah hollywood clichés stand out more & more upon repetition

it's like that alvin lucier piece where he is speaking in a room different than the one you're in and the resonances of the structure start to erase all the details as he plays that loop back over & over.

you know the one i'm talking about?

it's a bit like that
Old 12.30.2016, 12:32 PM   #20315
Severian
invito al cielo

Hah, I wrote up a reply thinking you were referring to Drive with the "American rag-rah" and Hollywood clichés comment. I was like, wow you must have watched it a LOT in 5 years if all you're seeing is clichés in that movie. Haha.

But then I realized you were taking about Die Hard and I totally get it. I haven't watched that movie in at least a decade. It's become too pasteurized by pop-culture references and *wink-wink* ironic "my favorite movie of all time" nonsense to have any enduring kick. I probably won't watch it again for another 10 years if ever, but I still think it's a classic.

Re: Alvin Lucier - Yep, I know the one. It's called "I Am Sitting in a Room" and I think it's an apt analogy for a movie like Die Hard. But not for Drive
Old 12.30.2016, 12:34 PM   #20316
Severian
invito al cielo

Has anyone seen Winding Refn's new one, the Neon Demon? It seems to be his most divisive film yet (which is saying something if you've seen Only God Forgives, which is essentially the anti-Drive). I am curious, but not too curious.
Old 12.30.2016, 12:47 PM   #20317
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Hah, I wrote up a reply thinking you were referring to Drive with the "American rag-rah" and Hollywood clichés comment. I was like, wow you must have watched it a LOT in 5 years if all you're seeing is clichés in that movie. Haha.

But then I realized you were taking about Die Hard and I totally get it. I haven't watched that movie in at least a decade. It's become too pasteurized by pop-culture references and *wink-wink* ironic "my favorite movie of all time" nonsense to have any enduring kick. I probably won't watch it again for another 10 years if ever, but I still think it's a classic.

Re: Alvin Lucier - Yep, I know the one. It's called "I Am Sitting in a Room" and I think it's an apt analogy for a movie like Die Hard. But not for Drive

o yeah. i liked DRIVE and have defended it here as a beautiful, glossy, arthouse action movie. voyeuristic and great. so well done.

as for die hard yeah. the resonant frequencies cluster up. america good, european bad, yippee ki yey mother fucker, etc. etc. gets awful.

BUT it's technically a christmas movie so you can sneak it in past the OTHER, worse shit, like, um, too many to name (most recently, krampus).

btw, semi-watching batman w/ the penguin at the moment. the tim burton one. hard not to see frank reynolds anymore ha ha ha.
Old 12.30.2016, 09:20 PM   #20318
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
o yeah. i liked DRIVE and have defended it here as a beautiful, glossy, arthouse action movie. voyeuristic and great. so well done.

as for die hard yeah. the resonant frequencies cluster up. america good, european bad, yippee ki yey mother fucker, etc. etc. gets awful.

BUT it's technically a christmas movie so you can sneak it in past the OTHER, worse shit, like, um, too many to name (most recently, krampus).

btw, semi-watching batman w/ the penguin at the moment. the tim burton one. hard not to see frank reynolds anymore ha ha ha.

Batman Returns. Aesthetically pleasing, great DeVito performance, but pretty empty over all. Used to be my favorite movie ever. I had cups from MacDonald's to prove this

Better than Batman Forever or Batman & Robin by miles, but not as good as Batman '89 (even though I prefer DeVito's mad Hitler Gormenghast monster to Nicholson's rockin' Joker), and, compared to the Nolan films, it doesn't even feel like an actual movie. More like a nice looking Disneyland ride or a toy set.
Old 12.30.2016, 09:33 PM   #20319
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
"For a Good Time, Call..."

Interesting lil movie about some girls that hate each other from college, but end up rooming together and starting a phone sex hotline. Interesting cameos.
Old 12.31.2016, 12:22 AM   #20320
Severian
invito al cielo

Just watched episode one of The OA on Netflix and I think it's safe to say I'll be spending my entire weekend on it.

VERY promising Gaimanesque fairy tale sort of vibe. And beautiful.
5169169661006101310141015 1016 101710181019102610661116 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth