Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page reassessing scissor shock
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.02.2010, 07:37 PM   #101
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
Everye

Hello There!
Old 12.10.2010, 05:50 AM   #102
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Hey dude, ar eyou ever gonna get back on slsk? I still have one album left to d/l. kthnx
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2010, 06:01 AM   #103
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Haha, I understand, my connection is pretty weak too. But yeah, alright, cool! Did you ever burn that guy a copy of Big Money Rustlas?
Old 12.10.2010, 06:05 AM   #104
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
hah it's the same guy actually but no I forgot about it. I might as well throw that on one of the discs too.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2010, 06:19 AM   #105
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Man, do I love me some ICP...

Hopefully he gets a kick out of it. If it's that guy from your films, he seems like a 'lo at heart.

EDIT - Cooley, put some of that money aside and go to the Gathering this summer. Let's get fucked up on crazy drugs in the hot sun, hassle strippers, and eat hot dogs in Lake Hepatitis together. CKY is supposed to be playing, apparently one of the dudes in that band is a huge Juggalo. Tom Green might be coming back too.
Old 12.10.2010, 08:39 AM   #106
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, I actually really dig CKY. They have some crazy guitar sounds. I'd love to meet Tom Green. I saw him live many months back but he was out the door as soon as his comedy set was over so I didn't get to talk to him. Hmm. I'll consider this.

Old 12.31.2010, 08:18 PM   #107
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

http://snailshellbackpack.wordpress....-other-things/

Old 01.01.2011, 12:17 AM   #108
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Man, do I love me some ICP...

Hopefully he gets a kick out of it. If it's that guy from your films, he seems like a 'lo at heart.

EDIT - Cooley, put some of that money aside and go to the Gathering this summer. Let's get fucked up on crazy drugs in the hot sun, hassle strippers, and eat hot dogs in Lake Hepatitis together. CKY is supposed to be playing, apparently one of the dudes in that band is a huge Juggalo. Tom Green might be coming back too.

I've been thinking about going to the Gathering actually, Joe. You make it sound too exciting for me to miss. Will I get killed there? It would be awesome to have a SYG party at the Gathering. Fuck you ATP fools, amerikkans got the gathering.

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.01.2011, 04:46 AM   #109
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

It's a party if there ever was one. You truly feel outside of society. There was a stabbing last year.
Old 01.01.2011, 05:34 AM   #110
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

After 10 years, there's been all kinds of often-contradcitory things said about the band. There is a huge section on the myspace, with all sorts of weird musicias and critics writing all sorts of often-contradcitory stuff. Here's some of my favorites:

Fishbasket May 31, 2010
Okay, Adam Cooley has got to be the least predictable musician I have ever heard. I quite highly doubt that, without any prior knowledge, I would know that any two albums bearing his name were actually by the same guy. He and (whenever applicable) his band are capable of a wide range of styles and sounds, from Kid606 contracting the Rage virus to Captain Beefheart And The Magic Band and Volvox having a stand-off. Even in the course of a recording itself, Cooley's not afraid to whip the listener about on the end of the rope before pulling them up to safety, just to push 'em off so he can do it again later on. But he will not drop you, don't worry.
Scissor Shock is capable of conjuring up all kinds of moods, from lunatic catharsis to unsteady calm, but they have only one steadily followed modus operandi: Each album should differ markedly from the next. There is no clear-cut "sound" to describe them. You would have to hear this audio Calvinball for yourself and draw your own conclusions, and there in itself lies the fun.

“Scissor Shock has no near equal, much less an equal, and any attempt to try and nail them into a particular genre or sub-genre is a fruitless endeavor.” - Dusty.

jerkfacekiller Jun 22, 2010
Not my words, but the words of many others, compiled: The god of experimental music. If you have any interest in new avant-garde and experimental music and haven't heard this band, you'll be in for a shock. The most underrated, underappreciated underground musician who is genuinely doing something different. Has invented probably 6 or 7 genres, and will continue to do so. Unclassifiable. Insane. If you don't like one release, check out another. There's plenty for all. Also, plenty for none. Great review from anusaya.com: "This is not music for everyone. It's brutal, yet charming. Violent, yet tranquil. I find myself in a schizophrenic world every time I listen to a Scissor Shock release. I like that a band can mess with my entire world, shatter everything that I believe in, yet still make me satisfied and happy. These are truly the current gods of progressive music, not only in the midwest, but anywhere."

Old 02.19.2011, 02:37 AM   #111
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

http://www.archive.org/details/Sciss...TheCinemat2008

i haven't watched this yet. soundcheck + show from ss 2008 tour, as a 5 piece, with a live drummer. a fun period for the band.

Old 03.17.2011, 09:42 AM   #112
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

SUNDAY APRIL 17TH
RACHEL'S CAFE
7PM
BLOOMINGTON INDIANA
WITH INSTERSTATES ETC.

it's SCISSOR SHOCK!

Please come. Free! $5 donation reccomended but it's free! Not only is the show free, I will be giving out free cd's and movies! OooOooOO!

We will be playing 15-20 minutes of songs spanning the past 10 years of le Shock.

This will be the live debut of the new 4-piece band.. Booe (collaborator on and off for 6 years, now will be playing synth and trumpet), Mike (who was in a scissor shock tribute/cover band before being asked to actually BE IN the shock... will be playing junk drums.. trash cans, plastic barrels, saws, etc... playing with knives and forks and all sorts of other fun stuff; also wil lbe playing sax), Stu (bass, acoustic, ukulele, harp, organ, more traditional percussion, flute, clarinet, electric guitar), and me (telephone vocals, electric guitar, trumpet, MORE percussion, laptop, casio sk-1, and I will be handling tape samples, a la MISSION OF BURMA). Every member of the band will have solo songs, will be playing electric guitar and doing vocals and playing horn at one point, and there will be about 6 other members collaborating at various points in the set. They will be sitting in the audience, amongst the crowd. Should be FUNN.

so, come.

Old 04.15.2011, 12:43 PM   #113
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

cool just found this review of psychic existentialism http://auxiliaryout.blogspot.com/201...entialism.html

Scissor Shock is the work of insanely active, insanely motivated and insanely nice guy Adam Cooley. I use "insanely" purposefully there because a few things about Adam are a little insane, probably most of all is his music.
"Psychic Existentialist" breathes life into the record and actually isn't that crazy at first. Sure, a little scatterbrained maybe, but not crazy. Chopped up samples (ranging from vibes to children's programming) mingle with "free" drum programming. There actually is nearly a jazzy feel at parts but Cooley is much too eager to stop and go at a whim, trading in mellow grooves for skittering melodies like it's nobody's business (it isn't.) At 6 minutes, it's the second longest of like 13 tracks. Most wrap-up in a little over a minute such as "Cat Planet Woman" which features a similar vibe to the opening track but daresay it sounds much more focused? "Ghost with Shit Electronics" flips the script with a lonesome guitar intro before launching headfirst into a spastic showcase of stitched together guitar and drum programming. If sheet music shoved into a food processor made a sound, this record might not be too far from it. I don't want to cheapen the music with hyperbole because what makes the record is not the split-second editing; it's that Cooley will end the frantic, hi-speed collision of the aforementioned "Ghost" with a detuned guitar and vocal ditty. So there is Jungle in here as well as shredmasters but there's this weirdo sensibility as well. It seems like when Cooley eases up on the gas a little he reveals great little moments. Sometimes it's a strung out acoustic guitar. Sometimes it's a lingering, aural tone. Though, the record can still sound pretty good when the pedal's to the metal. The 9 minute title track works like a plunderphonic punk/hardcore track. Breaking down and mashing up the various signatures of punk and hardcore music along with spurts outsides genres. Unexpectedly, the piece drifts out on a few minutes of mild, psychedelic drone while the next track "Sunset Dream of Codeine Eyeball" is a few plucked guitar notes. "Bring Back the Guillotine" stands out because of how it begins. It's more or less a rock song, albeit an extremely debilitated rock song. The track doesn't necessarily continue in that same fashion, but it does seem to choose melodies over tropes which I am in complete support of. "Man of the Graveyard Man" does straight-up morph into a one-man DC hardcore track that's pretty rad while it lasts. "Tearing Wings Off of a Pigeon" continues the string of hits. It's actually a song with vocals and a melody all the way through. The final 23 seconds (titled "Johnny Merzbow Psychic Contact") are pretty badass, so badass in fact need a little more than 23 seconds, Adam. C'mon! Don't leave a guy hanging.How much you really enjoy Cooley's music probably depends mostly on how chopped-up you like your audio. Though I'm not a big fan of that generally, Cooley imbues all the cuts and splices with the overarching character of his music. He's obviously fond of chopping the shit out of everything which I can respect (especially because I know my lazy ass would never have the patience nor perseverance to make music like that) but as I alluded to earlier, it's all things that don't jump up and down, demanding your attention that make the record interesting.

Old 04.15.2011, 12:48 PM   #114
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

sure

there'll all at last.fm too

Old 04.24.2011, 08:04 AM   #115
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

k, last copies of PSYCHIC will be in indiana stores like di hi in columbus and td's in bloomington

http://www.archive.org/details/Sciss...Existentialism ... now officially oop. everything is oop and available on last.fm. the shearing pinx split is the one i get msg'd about a lot, so just so you know, their half is on a cd they put out last year of rarities and my half is in the "Rarities" folder on last.fm!! heheh.

planning on a split with a post no wave/drum machine band from around here as well as another one from sweden. Just recorded a 30 minute guitar only album for dream root also.

thanks everyone who helped us get to over 5,000 listeners... http://www.last.fm/music/Scissor+Shock

footage from the latest show(s) should be up soon. we played a few days ago and i ended up smashing a guitar over my head which busted my lip and head and left me bleeding. the live drummer ofr this show ended up destroying his drum set. i had a keyboards player (playing in a timbre that resembled LIVE AT THE WITCH TRIALS era the fall) and i had 3 horn players. we traveled like 100 miles to play a 3 minute set. that doesn't beat cock esp's record of traveling 3,000 miles to play a 19 second set (which ended because they threw a chair at the crowd) but it was pretty intense. expect it soon, ripped from vhs.

thanks everyone.

Old 04.24.2011, 08:29 AM   #116
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

random pics from last show

Old 04.24.2011, 09:20 AM   #117
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Looks busy.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2011, 09:57 AM   #118
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haha

well that picture of the "pakced house" was during the soundcheck, the video camera was positioned up front so no one sat up there except one of the horn player's mom, they had a huge row of couches in the back they sat at. I got there and saw a bunch of people drinking coffee and I said "so yeah I'm just going to play something quiet and dark and not disturb the Sunday night coffee drinkers" and then my new drummer went into some lightning bolt type shit right away so I said "okay fuck it" and played the most violent noisiest loudest set I've ever played. We got some badass mocha afterwards!

but yeah the newest live incarnation of the band with me on guitar and mike on drums should work out perfectly... we just need to find a permanent keyboard player now, but I got someone in mind who can also play second guitar (just met him last night; a 16 year old who was playing in NEW STANDARD TUNING. I was like "Holy fuck, what the fuck, CRIMSON?!" and then he started playing "RED"!). This town always blows me away, 40000 people and there's some truely cool peeps...... of course, we have to play in the town 35 miles down the road, but hey it works.

anyway i gotta get mike to rip the video from vhs, should be up ... soon... it was a fun set. it gave me an excuse to buy a pretty nice acoustic guitar last night, like a $500 acoustic-electric for $50 from some desparate dude. i'm thinking of doing an acoustic only album..................

Old 04.24.2011, 10:39 AM   #119
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Can you explain the concept behind your haircut please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2011, 10:53 AM   #120
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

you can't see my hair in any of the pictures, really... and if so it was cuz i was covered in sweat.

or are you asking because I got the name scissor shock from a cosmopolitan article about a girl getting a bad haircut and it said "SCISSOR SHOCK!" ... that'd be way cooler

funny thing is I got the first real haircut of my life sicne 2004 like 2 days ago. haha.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth