Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page I think I am the youngest SY fan ..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.05.2012, 05:10 PM   #41
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Has anyone bothered to check Pink.'s posts?

If she's a troll, she's lousy at it. Posts art, starts threads, comments, etc.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2012, 06:00 PM   #42
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Has anyone bothered to check Pink.'s posts?

If she's a troll, she's lousy at it. Posts art, starts threads, comments, etc.

so welcome to the trollsonicland
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2012, 06:12 PM   #43
Pinkunicornnx
little trouble girl

Pinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's assesPinkunicornnx kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome noise tape
so welcome to the trollsonicland
--' ...
Pinkunicornnx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2012, 07:06 PM   #44
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Why not admit that you are a fucking boring cunt of a teenager, rather than blaming your apathy on your peers' music taste then?
unfortunately yeah, this is what I am saying albeit bluntly.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2012, 10:09 PM   #45
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkunicornnx
I'm from the nickelcrap/bieber/swag generation... People who have good music taste are REALLY hard to find.
Ha try growing up in a town called Callahan inthe early ninties.

Shit's Glamorized. My primary music exposure was Garth Brooks and Boyz to Men.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2012, 12:10 AM   #46
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
The first time I remember being aware of music as a trend suddenly shifting was as a (pre-death) Nirvana fan circa 1996 when dance music & hip hop became the popular thing to listen to, and I was mocked for still listening to Nirvana (etc) by the very same people who had just months earlier been listening to it too. What perplexed me is that I legitimately enjoyed that music, which is why I listened to it - I hadn't realized so many people had just become "fans" in the aftermath of Kurt's death, and abandoned it for the next big trend to (I guess) stay popular in high school.

Now, I enjoyed Nirvana and Sonic Youth. I was ridiculed for it. I have to consider that these kids may have actually liked that dance/hiphop regardless of whether it was the current trend. I barely gave it a chance, so in many ways I was no better. I remember music being a BIG identifier in my teenage years, whether positive or negative (I always felt I was born about 5 years too late and was basically acting like a kid trying to fit in with the ghost of a peer group that had long passed).

Nowadays, I appreciate music based on whether I listen to it and enjoy it, and that's all. I'm not actively seeking out any of the current popular music, but I can't deny that people enjoy it - and there's nothing wrong with that. Recently Lou Barlow posted a link to the newest Taylor Swift video on Facebook, singing its praises, so I listened & watched and it was actually really good! In my opinion, and apparently Lou Barlow's (and a few million others?). I can see how that would be a big argument in high school, but now it just doesn't matter (although it can be fun to debate musical tastes in a civil manner, I suppose...).

I think I may have had a point when I started, maybe how it's just funny to think back on how much music could drive rivalry in high school. No, I guess what intrigued me more was the idea that people could just change to accommodate a trend, and how that never seemed natural to me...I'm not saying good or bad either way (too late now!), I just find it interesting.

Oh, I remember my actual point. That for some people, music is just a background accessory and not something that defines them, so they will naturally listen to what's popular (and usually what's popular is popular for a reason). People who have a different sort of connection with music are obviously going to seek out things beneath the "popular" surface and listen to things that really excite them. Again, not saying good or bad (I certainly wish I wasn't as obsessive...), just interesting. I can't imagine not being totally fucking obsessed with music.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2012, 09:20 AM   #47
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence

Nowadays, I appreciate music based on whether I listen to it and enjoy it, and that's all.

SY has taught me this.

Just simply listen. Who cares about the rest.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2012, 09:21 AM   #48
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
OH OH and #2. There is no such thing as a "good taste" in music. Everyone's taste is shit, just like yours and just like my taste.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2012, 01:41 PM   #49
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
OH OH and #2. There is no such thing as a "good taste" in music. Everyone's taste is shit, just like yours and just like my taste.

you right there isn't that thing of good taste but also there isn't mine or yours taste is shit. the meaning of taste it's a individual thing and relative.
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2012, 01:44 PM   #50
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
there may not be a rigid definition of what sucks, but there is most definitely an ongoing consensus!!!

I mean, will anyone unearth C&C Music Factory and try to claim them as seminal musicians? NO!
Old 11.06.2012, 01:54 PM   #51
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Liking good music, film, and literature is a lonely ride in high school. But you can still have friends with different interests. I had music friends, sci-fi friends, weirdo friends, and quiz bowl friends. Nobody liked Sonic Youth as much as I did, but whatever, they liked Black Flag & Minutemen & other cool shit and that was good enough.

You're also ahead of the curve. I didn't start to really get into musictil 16-17. Some people don't until college. As you get older you'll feel less lonely.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.06.2012, 02:46 PM   #52
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
feel bad for those whose love of Michael McDonald or Steve Winwood ruled their high school years
Old 11.07.2012, 02:50 PM   #53
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think music taste really played significant part in defining oneself in high school. In general, I don't remember people really giving a shit about what you liked. Although, maybe I just wasn't social enough to acknowledge all this. Also, as I got older, I've constantly become less and less concerned with what people are into.

I'm surprised if things like this still matter, in this day and age where everyone can find their own little niche through the internets and social media. But maybe it's different over there in north merryca. Your high school stereotypes and cliches don't seem to apply here.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.07.2012, 02:52 PM   #54
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

everything superficial and emotional matters when you are 13-20. It has been conclusively demonstrated that the human brain is still forming it's adult state at these ages, and that decisions are mostly made purely on emotional resonance, and not logic, or actual critical thinking about the situation.
Old 11.30.2012, 05:08 PM   #55
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, i recall being upset cuz my classmates didn't wanna listen to Sonic Youth.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.30.2012, 05:29 PM   #56
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
you just like weirdo rock music. i guess kids your age consider that a lame thing, but just wait 3-4 years, trust me being a hipster will be the shit. no one of your peers will care about Justin Bieber or Nicklodeon band anymore. some of them will even dedicate their lives trying to develop a hipster image/identity. you're years ahead of their time.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.02.2012, 10:21 PM   #57
stateyourrights
empty page

stateyourrights kicks all y'all's assesstateyourrights kicks all y'all's assesstateyourrights kicks all y'all's assesstateyourrights kicks all y'all's assesstateyourrights kicks all y'all's assesstateyourrights kicks all y'all's assesstateyourrights kicks all y'all's assesstateyourrights kicks all y'all's assesstateyourrights kicks all y'all's assesstateyourrights kicks all y'all's assesstateyourrights kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It sucks to be called a hipster by people at school because your favorite bands are Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Pixies, The velvet underground etc..
I feel the same fucking way. im 14 too and I like all those bands and it sucks because i have never met ANYONE i can relate to. When i do find people they only know like one song by them espeacially when i talk about nirvana.
stateyourrights is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 01:00 AM   #58
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
god people still say the word hipster it's 2012 wake up sheeple kesha's newest song is good

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.03.2012, 09:00 AM   #59
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

hipsters rule.

it's the non-hipsters that be jealous

I myself am an old hipster doofus pod.
Old 12.03.2012, 10:31 AM   #60
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I may be also hipster, but itīs totally same to me am I or am I not, I donīt care.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth