Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page holy shit, why do modest mouse suck now?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.17.2009, 12:59 PM   #81
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
probably need both sides of it. without the restless folks what would happen?
and then without the other demographic however they were described above, the most popular music right now would be silence. CHEESE

i'm riding so high on self indulgence today i'm just going to convince myself i'm wrong and send horribly negative messages to myself for an hour
Kloriel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 12:59 PM   #82
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
See, to my mind, a 'serious music fan' listens to very little with guitars. A 'serious music fan' listens to formal academic music (this needn't, strictly speaking, be scored). The notion of a 'bleeding edge' is pretty much a mis-nomer according to my understanding of 'serious music fan'. By this I mean a 'serious music fan' pores over scores and analyses fugues; s/he doesn't actually enjoy music. Not in terms of it being any 'edge'. I know someone who is a very serious scholar of music (he's just completed a PhD) and he almost never actually listens to music. It exists purely in the academic, so-called 'abstract' world of scores. I played him Wavves recently and he said 'there's nearly nothing here, except recording dirt. Do people actually like this music?'

This probably seems like I'm being contrary, but I only want to point out that, to a lot of people out in the real world, outside of this forum, there's a world of music in which Modest Mouse are obscure, yet-to-be-discovered - there's as half as many narratives to music as there are listeners. I think what pbradley's sort of saying is that there's no obligation to like one thing and thereby spend the rest of time looking for something else. Music is fun, not an obligation, and it's unfair to suggest that a restless curiosity somehow makes a person a 'better' listener (I'd negate the contrary if I could articulate it).

aren't modest mouse a top 40 band in america these days?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 01:01 PM   #83
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
aren't modest mouse a top 40 band in america these days?

Very probably. My sister claims to have never heard a Smiths song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 01:04 PM   #84
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloriel
probably need both sides of it. without the restless folks what would happen?
and then without the other demographic however they were described above, the most popular music right now would be silence. CHEESE

i'm riding so high on self indulgence today i'm just going to convince myself i'm wrong and send horribly negative messages to myself for an hour

You need the restless folks, I agree entirely. In spite of the fact that my personal opinion is that the overwhelming majority of music is made in the spirit of throwing non-stick shit at a wall and hoping it sticks. Without people like me, restless folks have no-one to feel self-righteous over (and very much vice-versa). It's all about...FUCKING HELL I'VE BECOME HEGELIAN.

Bollocks.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.17.2009, 01:05 PM   #85
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I know people who listen to horrible overdramatic "screamo" music (and I know it's not PROPER screamo) and they're really into Modest Mouse. So yeah, they're definitely big.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 01:12 PM   #86
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
See, to my mind, a 'serious music fan' listens to very little with guitars. A 'serious music fan' listens to formal academic music (this needn't, strictly speaking, be scored). The notion of a 'bleeding edge' is pretty much a mis-nomer according to my understanding of 'serious music fan'. By this I mean a 'serious music fan' pores over scores and analyses fugues; s/he doesn't actually enjoy music. Not in terms of it being any 'edge'. I know someone who is a very serious scholar of music (he's just completed a PhD) and he almost never actually listens to music. It exists purely in the academic, so-called 'abstract' world of scores. I played him Wavves recently and he said 'there's nearly nothing here, except recording dirt. Do people actually like this music?'

This probably seems like I'm being contrary, but I only want to point out that, to a lot of people out in the real world, outside of this forum, there's a world of music in which Modest Mouse are obscure, yet-to-be-discovered - there's as half as many narratives to music as there are listeners. I think what pbradley's sort of saying is that there's no obligation to like one thing and thereby spend the rest of time looking for something else. Music is fun, not an obligation, and it's unfair to suggest that a restless curiosity somehow makes a person a 'better' listener (I'd negate the contrary if I could articulate it).

this makes SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04.17.2009, 01:18 PM   #87
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You need the restless folks, I agree entirely. In spite of the fact that my personal opinion is that the overwhelming majority of music is made in the spirit of throwing non-stick shit at a wall and hoping it sticks. Without people like me, restless folks have no-one to feel self-righteous over (and very much vice-versa). It's all about...FUCKING HELL I'VE BECOME HEGELIAN.

Bollocks.

Is Hegel bad?
Kloriel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 01:32 PM   #88
Glice
invito al cielo

I'm not a Hegelian; you just can't escape from him. He is the sentinel, the grey tedium of perfectly sensible madness.

Quote:
Old 04.17.2009, 01:48 PM   #89
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Old 04.17.2009, 01:49 PM   #90
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
that's cute
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 02:23 PM   #91
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think what pbradley's sort of saying is that there's no obligation to like one thing and thereby spend the rest of time looking for something else. Music is fun, not an obligation, and it's unfair to suggest that a restless curiosity somehow makes a person a 'better' listener (I'd negate the contrary if I could articulate it).
Entirely correct.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 08:26 PM   #92
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

This probably seems like I'm being contrary, but I only want to point out that, to a lot of people out in the real world, outside of this forum, there's a world of music in which Modest Mouse are obscure, yet-to-be-discovered - there's as many narratives to music as there are listeners. I think what pbradley's sort of saying is that there's no obligation to like one thing and thereby spend the rest of time looking for something else. Music is fun, not an obligation, and it's unfair to suggest that a restless curiosity somehow makes a person a 'better' listener (I'd negate the contrary if I could articulate it).

academics aren't fans
Old 04.17.2009, 08:31 PM   #93
sarramkrop

You're such a bunch of boring wankers.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2009, 08:43 PM   #94
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

get off the internet then!
Old 04.17.2009, 08:48 PM   #95
sarramkrop

I can't, I'm chatting to three different people while I am trying to find something that might be of interest on here. Anyway, you, of all people, can really give me advice in terms of what to do with my time.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2009, 06:27 AM   #96
sarramkrop

Quote:
Music is fun, not an obligation, and it's unfair to suggest that a restless curiosity somehow makes a person a 'better' listener (I'd negate the contrary if I could articulate it).

Music is fun, but it's also hard work for a lot of people, in that if you don't get a web of them supporting it at its most obscure and uncompromising, be it by playing it on your radio show, writing about it on a fanzine/magazine/blog, helping out to open up chances for an artist to play live, you risk losing it due to the fact that people might end up just posting it on myspace/music forum to eternity, without any mean of feeling validated other than a few posters saying ''that's good'', ''that's bad'', ''that's just really shit'' etc, and with it never seeing the light of the day due to the double-blow of putting up with a 'passing interest' in it.

Unless, of course, you just take it in your hands to put out your own records etc, which is never as good fun as having someone doing that for you.

You're a fan of John Peel, who indeed used spend a lot of his energies trying to play part of the wider spectrum of what constituted 'the state of music' on his show in the time he was alive, not always matching his taste with that of his listeners. It can't have been just fun, it sure was passion. And not for immediately grabbing ink and paper to say something about it, more for trying to get the best of what was going on around by listening to it religiously.

One more proof it isn't just fun, even though I get what you mean with that, is the fact that we have threads that worry about the state of it which start on a sour, insecure note, even though I have a hard time believing the majority of people on it take the time to spend at least a few hours of their day trying to find out what's hiding underneath the surface inhabited by modest mouse, animal collective and all that rubbish.

Another thing pbradley seems to miss out on is the fact that the average age of the bands on DJ Rick's etc shows is very young, so much for being a nostalgic new wave documentary-viewer, I imagine.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2009, 06:31 AM   #97
sarramkrop

atsonicpark vbmenu_register("postmenu_794699", true);
invito al cielo

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/ima...ine=1229867648
(Smog) is actually really good.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2009, 06:43 AM   #98
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yeah so?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2009, 07:48 AM   #99
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Music is fun, but it's also hard work for a lot of people, in that if you don't get a web of them supporting it at its most obscure and uncompromising, be it by playing it on your radio show, writing about it on a fanzine/magazine/blog, helping out to open up chances for an artist to play live, you risk losing it due to the fact that people might end up just posting it on myspace/music forum to eternity, without any mean of feeling validated other than a few posters saying ''that's good'', ''that's bad'', ''that's just really shit'' etc, and with it never seeing the light of the day due to the double-blow of putting up with a 'passing interest' in it.

Unless, of course, you just take it in your hands to put out your own records etc , which is never as good fun as having someone doing that for you.

You're a fan of John Peel, who indeed used spend a lot of his energies trying to play part of the wider spectrum of what constituted 'the state of music' on his show in the time he was alive, not always matching his taste with that of his listeners. It can't have been just fun, it sure was passion. And not for immediately grabbing ink and paper to say something about it, more for trying to get the best of what was going on around by listening to it religiously.

One more proof it isn't just fun, even though I get what you mean with that, is the fact that we have threads that worry about the state of it which start on a sour, insecure note, even though I have a hard time believing the majority of people on it take the time to spend at least a few hours of their day trying to find out what's hiding underneath the surface inhabited by modest mouse, animal collective and all that rubbish.

Another thing pbradley seems to miss out on is the fact that the average age of the bands on DJ Rick's etc shows is very young, so much for being a nostalgic new wave documentary-viewer, I imagine.

Yeah, absolutely. I fully admire the work of people like DJ Rick for getting out there and putting in a shitload of effort into finding and supporting new music. I mean, the underground seems to subsist on the aether of goodwill and passion. My personal experience of the underground isn't really important in this case, but suffice it to say that it infuriates me that pretty much everyone I know who invests all of their time and effort (and, most importantly, money) into music has been fucked over and left destitute. And a cynical cunt like me whinging on the internet doesn't do anything about that.

I do, however, line the coffers of musicians I feel merit my respect. This is a direct criticism of the 'underground supporters' whose support of the underground extends to a badly-written blog and several GBs of stolen music.

The only point I was making in pbradley's defence is that I object to the implication that just because person a listens to more music than, say, me, doesn't mean that I ought to listen to more. As it happens, I'd struggle finding more time in the day for records, but my digging for records is always in a different direction, and for different reasons, than someone persistently seeking the 'new'. I'm not better, just different.

Quote:
Old 04.18.2009, 07:52 AM   #100
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, but, really, if a person DID listen to more <opinion>good</opinion> music, would they really ever want to listen to Modest Mouse, when there's like a thousand exciting bands worth listening to?

...don't answer that. I'm just trying to trick everyone into making this thread go in a big circle. (evil laugh.)

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth