Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Official SY Gossip Top 50! Greatest Albums of the 1990s
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.13.2008, 01:14 PM   #61
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
There is a major lack of Hip Hop going on. Hip Hop was easily the most relvant form of popular music in the 90's, and from 93-95, Hip Hop had never been better. I could have included any of the early Wu Tang albums on my list, especially "Liquid Swords", "Return to the 36 Chambers", and "Only Built for Cuban Linx..." because I love them all unequivocally, but I decided to go with "Enter the 36 Chambers" becasue I have listened to it literally hundreds of times in my life, and it more than any other record brings me back to Junior Year, driving around in my 96 Ford Explorer, smoking tons and tons of grass, and listening to this record and reciting every line word for word. Good times. Also, the Geto Boys "S/T" album is another one I'm surprised I havn't seen yet. The Geto Boys did for Hip Hop what the Dead Boys did for Punk Rock; they took an already new, radical, and extreme form of Popular Music, and made it more new, radical, and extreme. The Geto Boys actually scared people. They said things in the early 90's that pretty much all rappers (save for someone idiot like Necro or Eminem) today are still afraid to say. The beats are amazing, and we all know now that Scarface is one of the greatest lyricists of all time, but damn, he was just as good when he was 18 as he is now. Great record.

There also seems to be a lack of Noise on here, which is sort of surprising considering a lot of us dig the noise. I figured someone besides me would have included some To Live and Shave in LA or COCK ESP or Harry Pussy considering those are the bands who have had the most important influence on modern American Noise. Also, Japanoise flourished in the 90's, and I havn't really seen many Masonna, Merzbow, Haters, or Hijokiaidan albums either. Then again, it may seem that with Noise music, as much as one loves Noise, if that person likes Rock as well, thier favorite albums will most likely be rock albums and those are the records he/she will return to the most. I mean, what are you more likely to listen to 10 times in a row; "Damaged" or Masonna's "RRRecycled Casette"? Exactly.

Just some thoughts on the issue. Not trying to stir up arguements.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2008, 02:59 PM   #62
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
1 Lou Reed & John Cale - Songs for Drella
2 Sonic Youth - Goo
3 Nirvana - Unplugged in New York
4 Nirvana - Incesticide
5 Sonic Youth - Washing Machine
6 My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
7 Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
8 Nirvana - Bleach
9 The Jesus Lizard - Goat
10 Laurie Anderson - The Ugly One With The Jewels and Other Stories
11 Nirvana - In Utero
12 Nirvana - Nevermind
13 Sonic Youth - SYR4: Goodbye Twentieth Century
14 Sonic Youth - Experimental, Jet Set, Trash, And No Star
15 Public Enemy - Welcome to the Terrordome
16 R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
17 Pavement - Wowee Zowee
18 Brad Mehldau - Art of the Trio Volume Three: Songs
19 Johnny Cash - American Recordings
20 Dinosaur Jr - Green Mind
21 Sonic Youth - A Thousand Leaves
22 Chickasaw Mudd Puppies - 8 Track Stomp
23 Cracker - Cracker
24 Cat Power - Moon Pix
25 The Jesus Lizard - Head
26 Boredoms - Super AE
27 Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
28 Sonic Youth- Dirty
29 V/A - Guitarrorists
30 Neil Young - Sleeps With Angels
31 Cracker - Kerosene Hat
32 Björk - Debut
33 Radiohead - The Bends
34 Sebadoh - Weed Forestin
35 The Jesus Lizard - Liar
36 Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup
37 Beck - Mellow Gold
38 U2 - Achtung Baby
39 Beck - Odelay
40 Brad Mehldau - Introducing Brad Mehldau
41 Slint - Spiderland
42 Cat Power -What Would the Community Think
43 Pixies - Doolittle
44 Bob Dylan - Time Out of Mind
45 Fugazi - Repeater
46 Daniel Johnston - Artistic Vice
47 Pavement - Brighten The Corners
48 Radiohead - OK Computer
49 Boredoms - Chocolate Synthesizer
50 Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen
51 Ween - God Ween Satan
52 Polvo - Today's Active Lifestyles
53 Sebadoh - III
54 Smashing Pumpkins - Gish
55 Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
56 Tom Petty - Wildflowers
57 Melt-Banana - Charlie
58 Herbie Hancock & Wayne Shorter - 1 + 1
59 Royal Trux - Twin Infinitives
60 Ween - Chocolate & Cheese
61 Fugazi - In On The Kill Taker
62 Mudhoney - Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge
63 Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
64 P.J. Harvey - Rid of Me
65 Fugazi - Red Medicine
66 Hole - Pretty On The Inside
67 Ween - The Mollusk
68 Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I & II
69 The Gerbils - Are You Sleepy?
70 Masada - Alef
71 Half Japanese - Bone Head
72 Sebadoh - Bakesale
73 Weezer - Weezer (Blue Album)
74 Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Orange
75 Beck - Midnite Vultures
76 Trans Am - Trans Am
77 Boss Hog - Boss Hog
78 Green Day - Dookie
79 Jack Logan - Bulk
80 Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
81 Ween - Pure Guava
82 Pylon - Chain
83 Brad Mehldau - Something Else
84 Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
85 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - The Boatman's Call
86 Tom Waits - Mule Variations
87 Mudhoney - My Brother The Cow
88 Boredoms - Pop Tatari
89 Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Majik
90 Outkast - Aquemini
91 Mudhoney - Piece of Cake
92 Mogwai - Young Team
93 Japancakes - If I Could See Dallas
94 Olivia Tremor Control - Dusk at Cubist Castle
95 Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
96 Z-Rock Hawaii - Z-Rock Hawaii
97 Cows - Cunning Stunts
98 Dwarves - Blood, Guts & Pussy
99 Crash Worship - Espontáneo!
100 Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

you have waay too much free time
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2008, 03:03 PM   #63
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrungeMonkey
you have waay too much free time
you're gonna get e-punched in the e-face by Atari.
Old 10.13.2008, 03:04 PM   #64
GrungeMonkey
100%

GrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard suckaGrungeMonkey cold hard sucka
haha

we'll see
GrungeMonkey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2008, 03:05 PM   #65
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
you'll e-see, you e-mean?
Old 10.13.2008, 03:26 PM   #66
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
some of these lists lookj straight out of blender magazine for fucks sakes. cmon, gimme some diversity.
Old 10.13.2008, 07:20 PM   #67
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
you're gonna get e-punched in the e-face by Atari.

I was just bored on a Sunday afternoon while watching NFL football.
Felt like (over)participating in the thread.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2008, 07:23 PM   #68
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
some of these lists lookj straight out of blender magazine for fucks sakes. cmon, gimme some diversity.

Yes, Achtung Baby is better than Chocolate Synthesizer.
>insert haha<
Old 10.13.2008, 11:49 PM   #69
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
don't have the order yet....

PJ Harvey__Rid Of Me
Radiohead__OKC
MBV__Loveless
Wu Tang__36 Chambers
GZA__Liquid Swords
Plug__Drum'N'Bass for Papa
Talk Talk__Laughing Stock
Squarepusher__Big Loada
SY__Goo
Slowdive__Pygmalion
OTC__Dusk at cubist castle
OTC__black foliage
modest mouse__lonesome crowded west
bardo pond__lapsed
cat power__moon pix
aphex twin__richard d james
boredoms__super ae
pavement__slanted enchanted
sy__washing machine
smashing pumpkins__siamese dream

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 01:04 AM   #70
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
The only thing I think is funny about Atari's list is how he said that none of my classic albums would ever make his list, if he were to make one (at this point, I had made 40 or so "Classic" album posts). Yet Jesus Lizard's "Goat" is # 9 on his top 90's list -- ranking it that high must mean he thinks it's a pretty classic album, right? Unless of course that album and none at # 10-100 would make his classic list either... if he were to make one, I mean.

Otherwise, Atari's list is pretty awesome. I don't see why he'd be negative repped...

I love Blood Guts and Pussy. Everybody needs an antibody...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 03:46 AM   #71
batreleaser
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
don't have the order yet....

PJ Harvey__Rid Of Me
Radiohead__OKC
MBV__Loveless
Wu Tang__36 Chambers
GZA__Liquid Swords
Plug__Drum'N'Bass for Papa
Talk Talk__Laughing Stock
Squarepusher__Big Loada
SY__Goo
Slowdive__Pygmalion
OTC__Dusk at cubist castle
OTC__black foliage
modest mouse__lonesome crowded west
bardo pond__lapsed
cat power__moon pix
aphex twin__richard d james
boredoms__super ae
pavement__slanted enchanted
sy__washing machine
smashing pumpkins__siamese dream

i was damn close to include "laughing stock" myself, as i find that album to irresistibly brilliant. however, i only discovered its beatufy a few months ago and would need more listens before it starts working its way to the top of my ever enjoyable lists.
Old 10.14.2008, 04:45 AM   #72
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
My mind goes blank when I try to think of albums from the 90s. Probably because I don't have a lot of music from that decade. However, if someone were to do one of these for the 80s, I'd make a much better list.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 11:31 AM   #73
atari 2600
invito al cielo

'Twas porkmarras that turned me on to Action Swingers. Good stuff. For the nineties, some of it is pretty great. Shared their entire discography at the group. Hopefully, some bit on that.
Old 10.14.2008, 05:37 PM   #74
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Atari, I think you put 2 albums from the 80's on your list :
Bleach and Doolittle.

Do it again.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 08:21 PM   #75
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
i was damn close to include "laughing stock" myself, as i find that album to irresistibly brilliant. however, i only discovered its beatufy a few months ago and would need more listens before it starts working its way to the top of my ever enjoyable lists.

Yes i was nearly obsessed with this album for a few months right after i heard it... i don't often say this about music, but its very 'pretty'

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 09:29 PM   #76
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
don't worry, somehow atari will manipulate time in order to justify the inclusion of those albums on his list before admitting he was wrong.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.14.2008, 10:25 PM   #77
batreleaser
invito al cielo

yeah the dwarves are fucking sick
Old 10.15.2008, 03:57 AM   #78
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
29 V/A - Guitarrorists

Great comp , except the tracks by Lee , Thurston and Kim IMO.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2008, 06:51 PM   #79
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
the voting is going quite well, the top albums are certainly shaping up
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2008, 06:57 PM   #80
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Well, mine's done. Or at least a cobbled together at 1AM because it's the day I go to America version of it. I'm sure I'll hate this list tomorrow, but I'm fairly confident on the top 10:
  • Boredoms – Super Ae
  • Radiohead – OK Computer
  • Keiji Haino – Affection
  • Sonic Youth – Goo
  • My Bloody Valentine – Loveless
  • Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over The Sea
  • Pixies – Trompe Le Monde
  • Sonic Youth – Dirty
  • Nirvana – Unplugged in New York
  • DJ Shadow – Entroducing
  • Modest Mouse – The Lonesome Crowded West
  • Boredoms – Vision Creation Newsun
  • Yo La Tengo – I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
  • Beck – Odelay
  • Pavement – Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
  • Radiohead – The Bends
  • Breeders – Last Splash
  • Sebadoh – III
  • Flaming Lips – Transmissions from the Satellite Heart
  • Shellac – At Action Park
  • Polvo – Today’s Active Lifestyles
  • Blur – 13
  • Modest Mouse – This is a Long Drive For Someone With Nothing to Think About
  • Mercury Rev – Yerself is Steam
  • Portishead – Dummy
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth