Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Wire : 2007 Rewind 50 Records Of The Year
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.21.2007, 01:53 PM   #41
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I'd LIKE to read the wire. But...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 03:17 PM   #42
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
You're such a bitch. Unbelievable.

Not so.
You didn't like it. I did. Whatever.
What was I supposed to do, "take you on" regarding your opinion?
Really, how was I supposed to react to your assessment of this album?
Paul is:
1. Someone I regard as absolutely seminal in my concept of what constitutes "good" music in both a stylistic sense and in the sense of commitment to a visceral type of music that can have both insane skill and soul to burn, as well as someone who I have been following in one form or another for 22 years

2. One of my best friends in the world

3. One of the finest living acoustic instrumental improvisors currently operating in the underground (and possibly on the planet in general), appealing to both hardcore weirdo music enthusiasts and the completely uninitiated alike, and if this album "leaves you wanting more," I have no choice but to wonder what that "more" is exactly.

Reasonable people can disagree on matters of taste, and on this one we disagree.
Whatever.

I don't really see what was so bitchy about that.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 05:41 PM   #43
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Do you guys really think that your end of the year lists are of any significance to anyone in major quantities, like, ever? I mean, unless you professionally write them, therefore throwing them from the catapult that is a mass media platform, do you seriously think that many people really care about them? I think not.

a) my opinion signifies a lot to me and one of my favorite things about these end of the year lists is finding out about albums i might have missed out during the year or wasn't aware of them. with any luck, someone might find something on my list and check out something cool there.

b) so do you think that just because the masses like something or accept something, then it's automatically the unquestionable truth?

so what does it matter if three people or three million people read your list?
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 05:46 PM   #44
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Do you guys really think that your end of the year lists are of any significance to anyone in major quantities, like, ever? I mean, unless you professionally write them, therefore throwing them from the catapult that is a mass media platform, do you seriously think that many people really care about them? I think not.

It's just discourse at a message board which oftentimes includes the making of lists. Jeez, geezer heehee. Pork Krop is disgruntled with the world today. Cheer up, happy holidays, and have a merry time.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2007, 07:23 PM   #45
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Bicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's asses
It's cool to see To Kill A Petty Bourgeoisie getting listed on the year ends...

They've worked hard and deserve it.
Bicorn Halfelven is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2007, 09:00 AM   #46
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
By the way, if anyone listens to Resonance Fm, did you notice the lapse in the quality of some of its programs that came about in recent times?

Yes. Something to do with their financial problems, perhaps?
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2007, 05:28 PM   #47
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbrim
Whats with the Burial bitching? Both of his records are great.

I thought the first one was rubbish so haven't listened to the second one. Horses for courses and all that. Just seemed like safe, marketable dubstep with nice vocals to me. I like a bit of dubstep and all that but something with a bit of bass weight.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2007, 03:53 AM   #48
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Not so.
You didn't like it. I did. Whatever.
What was I supposed to do, "take you on" regarding your opinion?
Really, how was I supposed to react to your assessment of this album?
Paul is:
1. Someone I regard as absolutely seminal in my concept of what constitutes "good" music in both a stylistic sense and in the sense of commitment to a visceral type of music that can have both insane skill and soul to burn, as well as someone who I have been following in one form or another for 22 years

2. One of my best friends in the world

3. One of the finest living acoustic instrumental improvisors currently operating in the underground (and possibly on the planet in general), appealing to both hardcore weirdo music enthusiasts and the completely uninitiated alike, and if this album "leaves you wanting more," I have no choice but to wonder what that "more" is exactly.

Reasonable people can disagree on matters of taste, and on this one we disagree.
Whatever.

I don't really see what was so bitchy about that.

There was nothing bitchy about your comment, I was just teasing you. Proof that not all humour translates well into internet speech. Let's move on, shall we?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2007, 07:15 AM   #49
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
burial???? i think that record is awful! its borderline craig david!
Old 12.27.2007, 06:49 PM   #50
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yeah, all the hype for Burial is really shocking. I was listening to Radio 1 late one night, and the disc jockey was drooling all over the ''Exclusive New Burial Second Album Preview!''. When she put it on I couldn't believe the blandness of it all. Iain, spot on about the ''coffe table'' remark. It totally is the work of people who hang around too many high street wine bars.

By the way, if anyone listens to Resonance Fm, did you notice the lapse in the quality of some of its programs that came about in recent times?

Agreed on the entire Burial situation. I mean when compared to say most older dub artists, Burial pales. For all those who admire and adore Burial, have you all listend to actual pioneer era dub/reggae. If not, then out Roots Radics, Yabby You, King Tubby, Dennis Al Capone, Alton Ellis, Scientist, Crazy Mad Professor. etc.....
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2007, 08:51 PM   #51
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Funnily enough, what I've heard of the second Burial album grabbed me more than the first. But then, I likes me a bit of 2-step. My general problem with that dubstep is it seems to be opposed to grime, which is still largely awesome and incredibly silly. Musicians take note - it's all about being a bit ridiculous.

My housemate played the Animal Collective record loads. It's well poppy, and thus I enjoyed it more than their preceding tuneless caterwauling.

End of years lists, eh? Everyone hates 'em, everyone's got one, and everyone's got an opinion on them.

People, eh? Pricks to a man.

Me, eh? I'm great.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 08:05 AM   #52
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Musicians take note - it's all about being a bit ridiculous.

I have been trying to find someone who would take that as their first rule to play with for such a long time, and I still haven't found them. Ridiculous goes hand in hand with great music like no other. For me, the Blues Control record felt a bit like that, this year. It's only after repeated listenings that I've realized that what they are doing is slightly absurd in a conventional way.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 08:17 AM   #53
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I have been trying to find someone who would take that as their first rule to play with for such a long time, and I still haven't found them. Ridiculous goes hand in hand with great music like no other. For me, the Blues Control record felt a bit like that, this year. It's only after repeated listenings that I've realized that what they are doing is slightly absurd in a conventional way.

We'll to do some music together at some point then. It's very difficult to get through to people how 'ridiculous' needn't mean 'comedy ska-punk'. Very difficult indeed.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 08:51 AM   #54
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
We'll to do some music together at some point then. It's very difficult to get through to people how 'ridiculous' needn't mean 'comedy ska-punk'. Very difficult indeed.

Yes, that's something that has been bugging me for some time. When I've tried to play with other people they would generally take concepts like 'ridiculous', 'risk-taking', 'wild', 'stoopid', 'fun', 'cool' etc in a totally different way that I see them, which is from the point of view of a speeding train-wreck. Either they would be thinking solely about the drugs, sex etc (which is fine by me, for as long as you concentrate on your art too) or they would be musos. Or, worse still, 'concealed' musos. I don't seem to be able to meet someone to play with who doesn't focus too much on one aspect of being in a band without missing out on a number of other things that make playing in one enjoyable, so I have been having a real love/hate relationship with music in general, lately. It's not too much of a big thing because there's not only music in the world, but it'd be nice to play with someone you share some target for the absurd in a 'non-forced' way. I hope this all makes sense.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 05:07 PM   #55
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
Agreed on the entire Burial situation. I mean when compared to say most older dub artists, Burial pales. For all those who admire and adore Burial, have you all listend to actual pioneer era dub/reggae. If not, then out Roots Radics, Yabby You, King Tubby, Dennis Al Capone, Alton Ellis, Scientist, Crazy Mad Professor. etc.....

I dunno, i wouldnt say Burial is dub at all, i wouldnt even file his music under dubstep either. Sure his first record has some dubstep influences, but doesnt really compare to artists like Benga, Skream, DMZ etc. His new record has more of a 2-step and garage feel, and i still really like it, he has his own sound, and I think its the ghostly atmosphere he creates that attracts me the most.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 05:09 PM   #56
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
ive listened to untrue again after reading this thread and i just dont get the deal with burial.....
Old 12.28.2007, 05:32 PM   #57
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Try his first album then (if you havent already), it probably sounds less Craig David than the new one.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 07:08 PM   #58
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbrim
I dunno, i wouldnt say Burial is dub at all, i wouldnt even file his music under dubstep either. Sure his first record has some dubstep influences, but doesnt really compare to artists like Benga, Skream, DMZ etc. His new record has more of a 2-step and garage feel, and i still really like it, he has his own sound, and I think its the ghostly atmosphere he creates that attracts me the most.

I agree, I used ''dub'' because it has been referenced to as so. Apparently the proper genre name is dub-step, but again I don't really concur with that either. My point is that there are many artist who have come before that have done dark and grimey reggae music, especially the dub genre. It's not that I hate Burial's music I just hate it when people superhype things without background history and this isn't directed toward you jimbrim, its directed toward those who know little about reggae/dub/dj era and pass off Burial as this new sensation that has transformed reggae music.
That's all.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 07:23 PM   #59
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
...I just hate it when people superhype things without background history...
That's all.

Eh, when all else fails and you've argued your point to it's furthest extent, just remember: it's not really that important
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 10:00 PM   #60
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Burial released a 2007 album? Downloading now

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth