Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Reassessing Dirty
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.31.2007, 09:46 AM   #21
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
When all is said and done, this album might be one their most criticised, but how many musicians do you know who would make one that sounded like it or had the same type of songwriting? I don't think I know a band that could at all, and that's why I love Sonic Youth so much. Yes, it has its flaws, but the quality of the majority of the songs on it is very, very good indeed.

definitely, i agree.

it's also the culmination of their transition into a band that wrote songs instead of dirges, a process that started with sister.

and dirty was my first sy album, it took me a bit to like it but by the second listen, i was into most of the songs.

sy's worst album, mostly because it sounds like rushed demos, is rather ripped, by far.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2007, 09:57 AM   #22
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
neh...i was thinking something similiar about you when ya said you didnt like 1000 leaves, but then realized it wasnt worth arguing over.

touche! to be fair though I didn't say i didn't like it, just that its a bit dull in places.
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2007, 10:09 AM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yeah rather ripped is also horrible.

this is the only "reassessing" thread where i didn't listen to the album while posting about it, which kinda defeats the purpose, but ... my thoughts on this album are pretty clear. i've heard it about 4 times. it's better than i had heard people saying it was , but worse than i wanted it to be.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2007, 05:20 PM   #24
bananamuffin
empty page

bananamuffin has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Chapel Hill. Ewww, shockingly bad lyrics from Thurston. The melody is a bit too sacharine sweet and even a gear up at the end can't really save what's probably the worst track on the album so far.
One person's "shockingly bad lyrics" are another person's "incredible, stirring lyrics - some of the best Thurston's ever written." I like how Thurston brought together SY's experience of playing in a redneck cop bar in Chapel Hill with the conflict between the fringe/radicals and the Bush administration. And I find it very touching that Bob Sheldon got a good tribute. (And I think musically it's also a great song.)

As for the rest of the album, I find most of it utterly fantastic, except for Nic Fit, which is so obnoxious I have to instantly hit the forward button on the CD player.

Wish Fulfillment is a catchy song and I don't mind hearing it, it's just that it's far too conventional for SY. It sounds like a song another band could write, and I prefer it when SY puts their own unique bit into songs.

And I'll agree with the love for Orange Rolls--it's one of the occasions when Kim has put her unique voice to excellent effect.
bananamuffin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2007, 11:39 PM   #25
dressedindreams
bad moon rising

dressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant futuredressedindreams has a brilliant future
This album's another one of their 'meh' albums.
i love chapell hill and purr, though.
they're songs that sound like the band was having fun.
but shoot is cringe worthy, and wish fulfillment is lee's worst song, should have been genetic.
dressedindreams is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2007, 02:43 PM   #26
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
When all is said and done, this album might be one their most criticised, but how many musicians do you know who would make one that sounded like it or had the same type of songwriting? I don't think I know a band that could at all, and that's why I love Sonic Youth so much. Yes, it has its flaws, but the quality of the majority of the songs on it is very, very good indeed.
definitely, i agree.

it's also the culmination of their transition into a band that wrote songs instead of dirges, a process that started with sister.

and dirty was my first sy album, it took me a bit to like it but by the second listen, i was into most of the songs.

sy's worst album, mostly because it sounds like rushed demos, is rather ripped, by far.

I agree with both of you.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.03.2007, 11:50 PM   #27
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Dirty rules......eat my ass.
Old 09.04.2007, 01:15 AM   #28
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian

That's called rimming. That was easy.

But this album is my favorite, this is what turned me on to SY.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 01:19 AM   #29
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Dirty is such a beautifully crystallized sounding album to me....I'm kind of partial though because of the time and place that I heard the album etc. etc.
Old 09.04.2007, 02:18 AM   #30
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealglenstyler
oddly, I love all the tracks individually off this record a lot but have almost zero affection for the album as a whole, which makes no sense. I guess it just don't work as an album for me, too long, though how you would choose what to leave off I can't even begin to imagine.

I'm kind of there with you. I really like listening to songs off of the record, but rarely want to listen to it all the way through. When it came out, I was thrilled to get so much new Sonic Youth all at once that I played it to death straight through, but these days I don't do that very often. It sound more like a big collection of songs than an album too. A lot of really great songs, but not a cohesive song cycle. I feel that way about EJST&NS too. Aside from those two records, nearly all Sonic Youth albums are albums first, collections of individual tracks second, so it does make me less into them.

Though of course "less into" a Sonic Youth record for me usually means "really like it" just not quite to "love it".
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 03:38 AM   #31
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I don't get why the production is so bashed. In my opinion the record sounds great.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 03:39 AM   #32
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian

agreed!
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 07:08 AM   #33
JohnEsmoke
little trouble girl

JohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's asses
Okay, Dirty is not Sonic best, but it is maybe because of this album that you can find all the Sonic discography everywhere in the world... it opened a lot of doors to a different music and this is good...
Moreover there are great songs in it ! 100%, Shoot, Orange rolls, Youth against fascism or On the strip... and the great guitar solo of Chapell Hill !
You can enter in Sonic Youth with it and then go further, there's no problem with that...
JohnEsmoke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 08:54 AM   #34
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
mmmm

scarlett.

Old 09.04.2007, 10:13 AM   #35
JohnEsmoke
little trouble girl

JohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's asses
well... belotte
JohnEsmoke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2007, 11:50 PM   #36
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I love Dirty, it is a great album. Kim totally dominates.

It would have been a much stronger album if Shoot, Creme Brulee, Chapel Hill, Youth Against Fascism, and Nic Fit were taken off though.

My main complaint about the album is it starts to teeter off on the 2nd half.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2007, 12:23 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

you know, actually, this one MIGHT be better than the one before it because it doesn't have "my friend goo" on it.

okay, wait.. looking at the tracklisting.. every song on here is worse than "my friend goo". how is that even possible?!

Old 09.05.2007, 12:39 AM   #38
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

haha i know, i was kidding.

"MY FRIEND GOO JUST SEZ P.U." (lee/thurston/steve: "hey goo what's new") "MY FRIEND GOO JUST SEZ P.UUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" wasting such a good bass line. hmph.

Old 09.05.2007, 01:45 AM   #39
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
and thats exactly why its the most annoying song....those damn lyrics get stuck in my head everytime i see/hear them.

if a headache was a person, it'd be named goo.

This is true, but it was so the point. So I'll agree with "most annoying", but not "worst" since I think they achieved exactly what they set out to do. The video is actually pretty fun too as it's even more sophmoric than the song on it's own. The song is dumb enough to pass for new wave on an '80s night, which led for a bonding experience between me and Scotty the now deceased drummer from KARP back in Oly when I was djing at the dance club there.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth