Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page The Boondocks (comic strip)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.11.2006, 01:48 PM   #1
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
http://postcards.ucomics.com/send/?u..._ref=ucomic s

This is one of the first ones and it reran today since Aaron McGruder is on hiatus for 6months. But this is one of my favorite things in print. It started running in 2000? 2001?

I've caught 2 episodes of the cartoon on Adult Swimand found it really good and unlike any other cartoon on TV. But with the comic strip it stays current and runs along side Garfield and Peanuts and breathes life into something dead, the funny section. Smart humor and sharing of ideas will be entertaining forever.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 01:58 PM   #2
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Huey Lewis, hehe . I don't read comics all that often, but I love the show.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 01:59 PM   #3
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I'm more familiar with the comic strip too....is the cartoon good?
Old 04.11.2006, 02:11 PM   #4
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
boondocks always struck me as mcgruder just listening to too much WBAI and too much paris, then sitting down and writing.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 02:42 PM   #5
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
Nothing tops Calvin & Hobbes.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 02:47 PM   #6
trance feeeedback
children of satan

trance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's assestrance feeeedback kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
Nothing tops Calvin & Hobbes.

yeah i used to read Calvin & Hobbes when I was little, and now I realize how deeply philisophical it was. Boondocks is pretty good, I enjoy reading the books when I am in Borders, the cartoon is all right, not as good as the comic, but it's still good at pissing off conservatives.

"sound is god"-Ravi Shankar.

FREE TIBET!
trance feeeedback is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 03:50 PM   #7
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
boondocks always struck me as mcgruder just listening to too much WBAI and too much paris, then sitting down and writing.

CH

Paris, are you refering to the rapper? Or who? Do you think that his ideas are not ground breaking? If so I agree but to be putting it out the way he is, not just on a web site or a weekly free paper but coast to coast in daily newspapers. I think thats radical. Plus I like 3 and four frame comics as an art form. Minimal art that conveys an opinion.

Besides Ziggy are there any Republican tinged comics?
Old 04.11.2006, 03:57 PM   #8
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfreepress (sdasher)
CH

Paris, are you refering to the rapper? Or who? Do you think that his ideas are not ground breaking? If so I agree but to be putting it out the way he is, not just on a web site or a weekly free paper but coast to coast in daily newspapers. I think thats radical. Plus I like 3 and four frame comics as an art form. Minimal art that conveys an opinion.

Besides Ziggy are there any Republican tinged comics?
yeah. the rapper.

i don't know. i just listen to WBAI all the time and i feel like mcgruder's thought process is on auto-pilot and he's just regurgitating things verbatim from the afrocentric programs on the station. i think he gets a lot of credit for basically being pretty lazy.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 04:10 PM   #9
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
I'm more familiar with the comic strip too....is the cartoon good?

Its not a fast action cartoon, very slow and delibrate. The self hating black man character comes across even angrier and self hating.

CH
I'm not sure where McGruder gets his politcal knowledge but he does come up with ongoing story lines not geared to politics. ( genearational differences between grand parents and kids- music differences-chores-back talking to yr elders, internet dating, bet and upn not making interesting tv, interacial kids adapting at school )

If in fact McGruder is is copying WBAI or Public Enemy cira '91 or Chomsky politically its still cool to me that he's putting it in the form of a cartoon that some 14 yr old kid in Texas can read over Cheerios.

Oh and the whole week of comics about trying to get Condi Rice a boyfriend
was hilarious.
Old 04.11.2006, 04:42 PM   #10
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
Huey P Lewis and the Black News.

comic is great, cartoon is pretty funny too. not quite as sweet, though.

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 04:54 PM   #11
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Man, i wish they ran that in louisville. The closest things we get to good comics here are fox-trot and speedbump. Not bad really, but no boondocks from the few I've read. We haven't had a greta comic since calvin and hobbes went out.

check this out = http://www.progressiveboink.com/arch...lvinhobbes.htm

I'd like to think I was like calvina s a kid, I even had a tiger I called hobbes too.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 04:58 PM   #12
sonikold
children of satan

sonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's assessonikold kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, my newspaper sucks. i read doonsbury sometimes. the rest is shite.

sonikold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 05:01 PM   #13
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
yea doonsbury is alright too... but my friends have a joke where if someone says doonsbury we all go straight faced. I dunno why
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2006, 09:53 PM   #14
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Nothing important to say, I just love the fucking show.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth