Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page MPP===best album of all time
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.08.2009, 07:51 PM   #301
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Vivian Girls made it to the billboard top 100 or something too. The Strokes did too, and had quite a lot of hype surrounding them. Ask the guy in your local grocery store if he knows those two bands, and he will ask you to politely leave the premises.

the strokes were/are huge though. snoop dog said he loved the song "12:51" on some interview in mtv or rollingstone or something... and both MTV and RS had huge coverage of that band... AC is way different and way more "underground"

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 08:04 PM   #302
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
plus T & B, the vinyl is $25... people only wanting to spend about $10 or so on the cd aren't that likely to pony up for the vinyl, are they?

Old 01.08.2009, 08:19 PM   #303
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
i do see, but i do not agree. random casual fans are going to be buying this on cd, not vinyl. hardcore fans are buying both. i don't think it is as big as you are making it. its not like there were gonna be a ton of people waiting for the cd, when the lossless/wav files are floating around, and instead they purchased the vinyl. no, those casual people are just now hearing about the album, and the vinyl is way sold out already.

this is exactly the point, how many of their hardcore fans would buy the vinyl if it wasn't released before the CD? They are buying the vinyl because it is the only thing available, and then they will buy the CD once that is released, if the CD came before the LP do you think the LP would have sold out its first pressing in a week? Would MTV have written a news story about the album breaking the top200 if it wasn't vinyl only? Would casual listeners, or anyone who reads MTV news have heard about this new release if it wasn't for MTV covering it?
I'm not making a big deal out of it, I think this was a simple PR stunt to generate interest for animal collective's new record as they seem to be getting to that point where they can maybe sell a few records to people who listen to mostly mainstream stuff and a tiny smattering of independent, people who have slightly more adventurous tastes than average, but to whom The Trail of The Dead (for example) are pretty radical stuff.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 08:21 PM   #304
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
plus T & B, the vinyl is $25... people only wanting to spend about $10 or so on the cd aren't that likely to pony up for the vinyl, are they?

Indeed, people wanting to spend $10 for a CD won't spend $25 on vinyl. Hardcore AC fans won't care about that though, and they are the people who buy albums the week they are released.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2009, 09:05 PM   #305
davenotdead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
this is exactly the point, how many of their hardcore fans would buy the vinyl if it wasn't released before the CD?
MANY

They are buying the vinyl because it is the only thing available, and then they will buy the CD once that is released, if the CD came before the LP do you think the LP would have sold out its first pressing in a week?
PROBABLY

Would MTV have written a news story about the album breaking the top200 if it wasn't vinyl only?
I DON'T KNOW AS I DON'T FOLLOW MTV, BUT IF THE CD HAD BEEN RELEASED AT THE SAME TIME, I THINK THEY WOULD HAVE BROKEN THE TOP 40 SALES FOR THE WEEK, SO MTV MAY HAVE WRITTEN ABOUT THAT

Would casual listeners, or anyone who reads MTV news have heard about this new release if it wasn't for MTV covering it?
THAT DOESN'T MATTER AS THERE IS NOTHING FOR THEM TO PURCHASE NOW, ALSO MOST PEOPLE WHO READ MTVNEWS PROBABLY DON'T CARE MUCH ABOUT BANDS THEY DON'T KNOW AND PROBABLY DON'T SEEK OUT MUCH DIFFERENT MUSIC ANYWAY

I'm not making a big deal out of it, I think this was a simple PR stunt to generate interest for animal collective's new record as they seem to be getting to that point where they can maybe sell a few records to people who listen to mostly mainstream stuff and a tiny smattering of independent, people who have slightly more adventurous tastes than average, but to whom The Trail of The Dead (for example) are pretty radical stuff.
I Dont know if it was pr or not, i think it was fan response. we knew they had it available and it was mostly to reward the hardcore fans who were going to pre-order anyway. once the cd is released and casual fans who buy magazines read about it, then we'll see true sales numbers. What I think this vinyl sales thing demonstrates, is that AC has more "hardcore" fans than most other indie bands out there, and our enthusiasm is breaking into the indie mainstream... AC is not there yet, and I hope they never get there, but they are heading towards Radiohead levels

Old 01.09.2009, 07:15 AM   #306
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I usually go in Bloomington, it's this college town I live 15-20 minutes away from. Or Indianapolis. A LOT of bands completely skip Indiana when they tour. In fact, Animal Collective played here about 6 years ago and I missed them and I emailed them about 2 years ago to ask why they always skip here and they said because no one showed up to their first show here. I'm taking a guess way more people would show up now...
ADAM COOLEY WROTE HIS FIRST FANLETTER TO GEOLOGIST

This will be the NME's headline next week.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2009, 07:16 AM   #307
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Holy shit, how did you get that star to show up on that Boredoms song in your playlist?

That's so cool!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2009, 07:22 AM   #308
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
ahah I just tagged the track that way (just copy/paste the symbol as the title)
you can actually do that for all tracks on the album except for (spiral), as the symbol does not exist
Old 01.09.2009, 07:22 AM   #309
SYRFox
invito al cielo

☆☆☆
Old 01.09.2009, 07:28 AM   #310
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
crazy.

Old 01.12.2009, 11:37 AM   #311
SYRFox
invito al cielo

So this album is now out in Europe, I've bought it this morning at 9.30am and I've listened to it for the first time
It's awesome
I see no drag down, all the tracks sound good to me. And some of them are even better on the album than they were live - Guys Eyes especially, and it was the track I was waiting for the most. Daily Routine is also mindblowing. I'll need more listens to truly understand it but it really has the potential of a masterpiece
Old 01.12.2009, 04:39 PM   #312
davenotdead
invito al cielo

am i reaaallly all the things that are outsiiide of me

Old 01.12.2009, 04:46 PM   #313
davenotdead
invito al cielo

wozwers.

AC last.fm listens for last 7 days.
http://www.last.fm/music/Animal+Coll...subtype=tracks

radiohead
http://www.last.fm/music/Radiohead/+...subtype=tracks

sy
http://www.last.fm/music/Sonic+Youth...subtype=tracks

Old 01.12.2009, 05:25 PM   #314
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
You do have to take into account that they just released a CD. It will of course be higher than usual. But those are still some impressive numbers.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 06:06 PM   #315
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Does Last.FM count a 3 second long listen as a FULL listen? think about it.
Old 01.12.2009, 07:11 PM   #316
davenotdead
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Does Last.FM count a 3 second long listen as a FULL listen? think about it.

it has to be half of the track. it does affect bands that have really long tracks.

Old 01.13.2009, 05:50 AM   #317
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

No, it doesn't have to be half the track, it has to be whatever the person specifies... it can be 50% minimum, but the default is 100%. And most people probably don't change the default.

Not to mention, again, all the tracks have to be TAGGED correctly. So, again, even with all those last.fm listens, you can probably easily throw another 2-3 million on top of that for the real total. Just insane.

Old 01.13.2009, 07:09 AM   #318
SYRFox
invito al cielo

Actually I think the default is 50%, since I've never changed anything and it counts it for me when I'm at half the track.
Old 01.13.2009, 07:35 AM   #319
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

It may be different now (or when you got it); it was 100% on mine and my friend's. Either way... it's not "3 seconds and it counts it". Hell, it won't even scrobble a song at all if it's too short..

Old 01.13.2009, 07:47 AM   #320
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

131415 16 171819 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth