Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Jim O'rourke Ruined SONIC YOUTH!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.17.2006, 04:06 PM   #1
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
So, with Rather Ripped can we finally settle the debate about whether or not it was Jim's "fault" that sonic youth were moving in a more "rock" or "classic rock" influenced direction?

I thought this was a really funny scapegoat kinda argument some people were making. Sonic Youth said time after time that Jim had little to do w/ the genesis of the songs, mostly because he himself was tentative to have that kind of influence on the band, but instead added basslines, subtle guitar parts, an extra dimension, or production. Most of the songs on Murray Street were straight up written by Thurston and then transformed by the band, but every once in a while someone would pop up and be like "Jim O'rourke ruined Sonic Youth, and his influence is clear in the rock nature of the new songs." I never really agreed with these people.

Now, Rather Ripped's got this sweet subtle pop-like sound... Almost completely devoid of extended noise noodling... and Jim's not there... A lot people argued that with Jim in the band they were more comfortable to be a little more extemporaneous and drawn out in their songs. Looks like they may have been right. I remember some quote by thurston or lee saying that because Jim left they wanted to play some more straightforward material so everyone could just grab a guitar and squeeze the song out w/out a lot of calculating.

I do have to say though, that I wasn't too into Jim's production on Nurse and Murray Street, and its nice to hear them recording at a different studio w/ a different flavor.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 04:12 PM   #2
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
i thought everyone was nuts. if you pay attention with yr ears to what Jim adds in guitar work to sonic's past few records, He was bringing the noise and the noise jams/riffs. he kept the old school sonic sound alive and well buried deep within the new sonic sound. I'll miss Jim, but I haven't heard the new record to make this opinion concrete.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 04:15 PM   #3
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
well if you haven't heard the new album yet, i think the production isn't too different actually as compared to Nurse or Murray Street eventhough it was recorded at Sear and not Murray Street... Rather Ripped seems a abit more "slick" production-wise, the guitars have a similar feel as the last 2 albums, except i'm hearing weird effects that i'm not use to coming from Lee (sounds at times like chorus or flanging effects which he isn't known to use)... the main difference is that the songs are indeed more short and concise and direct... subtle pop like sound? i think its alot more than just "subtle" in SY-terms... and agreed Rather Ripped is without alot of the "classic" SY guitar-noise...

O'Rourke's fault? ...don't see how you can blame him as it was the band's decision to add him in the first place, and you can't really say that Jim was the main instigator of having the band have "more extemporaneous and drawn out... songs". an example is A Thousand Leaves, those songs on that album are pretty exploratory and lengthy and had nothing to do w/ O'Rourke's presence since they were still a quartet.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 04:22 PM   #4
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
well if you haven't heard the new album yet, i think the production isn't too different actually as compared to Nurse or Murray Street eventhough it was recorded at Sear and not Murray Street... Rather Ripped seems a abit more "slick" production-wise, the guitars have a similar feel as the last 2 albums... the main difference is that the songs are indeed more short and concise and direct...

O'Rourke's fault... don't see how you can blame him as it was the band's decision to add him in the first place, and you can't really say that Jim was the main instigator of having the band have "more extemporaneous and drawn out... songs". an example is A Thousand Leaves, those songs on that album are pretty exploratory and lengthy and had nothing to do w/ O'Rourke's presence since they were still a quartet.

Yeah, yeah, my overall feeling is that the core members of the youth just basically do whatever they want and determine the new sound. I'm don't blame Jim for anything (hence the super-ironic post title). I do get the feeling that because Jim left they indeed decided to go for a tighter more immediate sound. I think the oddest thing on the record is that Lee takes some big rock guitar leads every once and awhile which he only really did like a couple of times on dirty and jet-set.

On the production side I feel like Rather Ripped sounds much warmer than the two records with Jim. I think there's a better balance between Thurston and Lee's guitars, but maybe that's just because the third guitar is absent. The sound on Murray Street and Nurse sounded a bit clinical and calculated to me, especially murray street.
Old 04.17.2006, 04:24 PM   #5
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by top 40 squeeze
Yeah, yeah, my overall feeling is that the core members of the youth just basically do whatever they want and determine the new sound. I'm not trying to blame Jim for anything (title of the post is ironic). I do get the feeling that because Jim left they indeed decided to go for a tighter more immediate sound.

On the production side I feel like Rather Ripped sounds much warmer than the two records with Jim. I think there's a better balance between Thurston and Lee's guitars, but maybe that's just because the third guitar is absent. The sound on Murray Street and Nurse sounded a bit clinical and calculated to me, especially murray street.

Interesting take, right now i think much of Rather Ripped is overly calculated with typical "pop and rock"-like progressions that the band had always steered away from in their past, now it seems that they are comfortable w/ taking this format on "head-on" which is strange but interesting, yet at times it will make them sound like the band they are not. i'm not dissing this album... its taking its time w/ me because of what i say above.

i don't want to say much else, since i still feel guilty for hearing the album already, and i intended to wait til the release date.
Old 04.17.2006, 04:30 PM   #6
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
Interesting take, right now i think much of Rather Ripped is overly calculated with typical "pop and rock"-like progressions that the band had always steered away from in their past, now it seems that they are comfortable w/ taking this format on "head-on" which is strange but interesting, yet at times makes them sound like the band they are not.

Yeah, my only problem with calculation on the new record is like when they try to go for something noisey. It's kind of like the same pattern with the noise happening two-thirds of the way through, building for a short period of time and then diffusing back into the original riff from the song or another big chorus kind of take.
Old 04.17.2006, 04:34 PM   #7
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by top 40 squeeze
Yeah, my only problem with calculation on the new record is like when they try to go for something noisey. It's kind of like the same pattern with the noise happening two-thirds of the way through, building for a short period of time and then diffusing back into the original riff from the song or another big chorus kind of take.

yeah yeah I agree with you... i'm also noticing that much of the songs sound similar, not quite sure if it has more to do with the recording production or less with the song structures.

i should say that if you like the "softer, melodic, pretty side" of SY, this album is great for that and the production pushes that.
Old 04.17.2006, 04:45 PM   #8
RIPfrey05
the end of the ugly

RIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard suckaRIPfrey05 cold hard sucka
thurston needs to stop frontin about how much he likes wolf eyes and tell about his undying love for Phish.
http://www.myspace.com/thefloridaorangebirds
MY FUCKING BAND
RIPfrey05 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 04:50 PM   #9
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
That's bull shit Jim was a good addition to an all ready great band.

Be cool Jim
Old 04.17.2006, 05:27 PM   #10
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
jim was great, anyone who says he ruined SY is illadvised
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 05:34 PM   #11
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Rather ripped wouldn't tell us if he had a big influence or not. Because if he did, they would continue doing what they were doing with him. If he didn't they would be doing the same thing that they were doing with him. But then again, Sonic Youth has been known to change a lot, doing whatever inspires them at the time.
Old 04.17.2006, 06:04 PM   #12
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
well fuck, i think the era jim was producing/playing with sonic youth was very distinct and i believe he had considerable influence. although to me its good influence, those 3 records (if you count nyc) are beautiful, so he didnt ruin sonic youth with his influence.
Old 04.17.2006, 06:29 PM   #13
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Jim added a real nice additional "layer" to SY....I love those albums and I'm sure I'll love the new one too.
Old 04.17.2006, 06:32 PM   #14
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
No, sir. YOU ruined Sonic Youth.
Old 04.17.2006, 06:33 PM   #15
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
NYVG&F Murray Street and Sonic Nurse are all brilliant albums, the three before them (a thousand leaves washing machine and EJSTNS) are less so.
Granted i never saw them live during this period and i dont have any SYRs but going on this alone i think the last few years have yielded the best Sonic Youth albums.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 07:14 PM   #16
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
It is strange that of late they have "settled" shall we say with making rock albums, that have been void of thier signiture lenghty feeback and distortion ambience. I sort of miss the five minutes distortion bridges, but I still was a fan of "Nurse" for being a very breezy laid back rock album, I questioned this before and another poster said it was because of thier loss of equipment. Yet, didn't they recover a portion of it, and others they could retrieve, re-build, rework other equipment to create thier "sound".
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 08:13 PM   #17
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
jim was great, anyone who says he ruined SY is illadvised

Word. Jim's a great musician, and I wish he was still in SY personally
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 08:33 PM   #18
MusicIsMySavior34
little trouble girl

MusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud ofMusicIsMySavior34 has much to be proud of
jim ruined sonic youth and jim definetly ruined wilco...it would have been a thousand times better if wilco stayed with their country roots like A.M. and not this indie bullshit thats so fucking popular today. over and out.
MusicIsMySavior34 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2006, 11:08 PM   #19
Massenvernichtungswaffen
stalker

Massenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's asses
I must say I'm a fan of the earlier works of Sonic Youth, however Murray Street and Nurse were great albums. NYC Ghosts & Flowers, on the other hand, is one of my favourite albums by Sonic Youth. It was a very good mix of old and new in my opinion. So, I say... Jim O'Rourke did not ruin Sonic Youth. As for Wilco... I haven't heard anything by them since their first two albums.

Jeg kysser katastrofer.

Massenvernichtungswaffen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.18.2006, 12:08 AM   #20
JRPaperstacks
little trouble girl

JRPaperstacks has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i think jim's touch was subtle, but wonderful. the man knew what he was doing, it wasn't just trial and error. as for wilco, i love what jim o'rourke did with them. both of the albums he was involved with have a much more interesting sound than any of the other albums wilco put out. i don't think there's a lot of "indie shit" out now that can match up.
JRPaperstacks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth