Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.02.2017, 10:47 AM   #1741
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
not really like any of its predecessors, IMO. Seems a lot more serious. No cutesy robots or aliens so far, though there is some opportunity with the science officer who is generally fearful of most things. (Mantan Morland). Otherwise, seems to be a pretty serious dramatic undertaking. Klingons are pretty one dimensional, but with 2 episodes in, it's better than the previous attempts.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2017, 06:53 PM   #1742
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Finished The Newsroom.

GOD I wish that show had stayed around long enough to deal with 2016/17. Fuck’s sake. A little heavy on the syrupy sentimental stuff near the end there, but still, a ballsy show. And a damn good one.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2017, 07:04 PM   #1743
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Finished The Newsroom.

GOD I wish that show had stayed around long enough to deal with 2016/17. Fuck’s sake. A little heavy on the syrupy sentimental stuff near the end there, but still, a ballsy show. And a damn good one.

yep. yep yep yep yep yep. loved that show.

classic sorkin. brilliant guy w/ daddy issues, strong smart ass-kicking women, idealism galore, and if it's preachy then i don't mind that kind of preaching.

it was hilarious that the main guy was "dumb and dumber" though
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2017, 07:09 PM   #1744
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
anyway, been watching:

the great british bakeoff. very relaxing! no screaming chefs no backstabbing drama--must be due to a lack of prizes. great after a meal or before going to sleep. very soothing.

american horror story (pilot). holy shit that was fucking creepy! and how great is the great jessica lange? hot damn. i'm looking forward to but also dreading seeing episode 2 now because i expect to be disturbed as fuck by it.

nurse jackie season 3. what did carmela soprano do after that show was over? this. she's great and i like it and it's short 1/2 hour episodes one can squeeze into bits of the day/night without a great disturbance. but it's addictive so one might binge--beware.

what else? can't remember. gotta go have dinner now.
Old 10.03.2017, 10:23 AM   #1745
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yep. yep yep yep yep yep. loved that show.

classic sorkin. brilliant guy w/ daddy issues, strong smart ass-kicking women, idealism galore, and if it's preachy then i don't mind that kind of preaching.

it was hilarious that the main guy was "dumb and dumber" though

Yeah. A bit heavy-handed at the finale, and wrapped up quickly, but I have a feeling they were lucky to get those last six episodes. They made the most of it.

My biggest complaint is the use of music. Why use a terrible modern radio rock cover of “Let My Love Open the Door” instead of just using “Let My Love Open the Door?” It sounded tacky and terrible. Not that Townsend hasn’t been used a billion times, but then just find another song!!

Oh well. Small price to pay for a great show that tackled the Koch brothers in its THIRD episode. Deserves to still be on the air. Deserved a grand six-season run, I think.
Old 10.03.2017, 12:03 PM   #1746
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

well sorkin has never managed a six season run. west wing he was caught with crack in his suitcase and had to quit after the 3rd season. so the 4th things started to fall apart and then turned to shit in the hands of the people who used to make ER. fucking ER!

have you everseen sports night? pre-west wing i believe. pretty good as well. was on netflix some years ago?
Old 10.03.2017, 12:50 PM   #1747
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone see Sorkin's Studio 60? Don't think it made it past its first season, although I thought it was pretty good.

Really didn't like NEWSROOM. The politics were cool, the people were boring/obnoxious. None inspired me like so many West Wing characters did. Watched all of first season, bailed during second.

Still, maybe I'll check out the finale.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2017, 02:51 PM   #1748
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

the finale builds on season 2 so i'd say watch 2 if you wanna get to 3 no way around it really

and yeah it wasn't such a high but for me it was good and enjoyable anyway

i always get crushes on the sorkin ladies. here i liked the girlfriend and i liked olivia munn (since attack of the show, lol) but yeah they weren't say amy gardner or cj cregg (oh amy gardner my god).

except for the old dude from law and order, the male characters were not even the shadows of president bartlett or lemon lyman or leo or toby though, for sure. more like sam seaborn at best. definitely less than charlie.

have not seen studio 60 but wanna. next spring maybe. right now i'm mired in gore and destruction.
Old 10.03.2017, 03:28 PM   #1749
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Now that I think of, did NEWSROOM have strong female characters?

They were smart and all, but weren't they all kind of flustered and a bit ditzy sometimes? They were all CJ, weren't they? No female was like President Bartlett's wife, for example, who was tough and steady, yet smart and charming. Heck, even Bartlett's daughter seemed to have her shit together better than the main women in Newsroom.

Man, West Wing was the best show ever, wasn't it?
Old 10.03.2017, 03:40 PM   #1750
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

the olivia munn character was supper smart and had brass balls dude. what was her name. sloan something. hilarious too. check her out. i guess she just needed a better storyline.

i thought the girlfriend, emily mortimer, stood up to anything dumb and dumber threw at her.

potato face girl on the other hand was a weak-minded lunatic. she gets better by the end though.oh there's a spoiler, sorry.
Old 10.03.2017, 04:59 PM   #1751
evollove
invito al cielo

I guess it's been awhile. I just seem to remember Nunn and Mortimer screwing up a lot and getting yelled at by JEFF FUCKING DANIELS. (Do you seriously not know his name?)

You should really check out Studio 60. I think you'll be surprised. It's mostly about the behind-the-scenes of a comedy show, but around episode four vampires arrive to battle a sudden infestation of zombies. Shit gets pretty bloody and destructive, if that's what you're into. Zombies have never grunted with such quick wit.
Old 10.03.2017, 07:54 PM   #1752
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
the olivia munn character was supper smart and had brass balls dude. what was her name. sloan something. hilarious too. check her out. i guess she just needed a better storyline.

i thought the girlfriend, emily mortimer, stood up to anything dumb and dumber threw at her.

potato face girl on the other hand was a weak-minded lunatic. she gets better by the end though.oh there's a spoiler, sorry.

Yeah I did not like Maggie at all. Not one bit.

Loved Emily Mortimer.
Loved Olivia Munn! She’s taken nothing but shit roles since that show! Who would have thought she could actually act? Why doesn’t she do that?

She’s content to be a Megan Fox type, I guess. Bugger. She was one of the best oarts of the show. Actually, probably my favorite.
Old 10.04.2017, 09:05 AM   #1753
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I guess it's been awhile. I just seem to remember Nunn and Mortimer screwing up a lot and getting yelled at by JEFF FUCKING DANIELS. (Do you seriously not know his name?)

You should really check out Studio 60. I think you'll be surprised. It's mostly about the behind-the-scenes of a comedy show, but around episode four vampires arrive to battle a sudden infestation of zombies. Shit gets pretty bloody and destructive, if that's what you're into. Zombies have never grunted with such quick wit.
you ever seen pride and prejudice and zombies? stupid yet hilarious

anyway of course i know his name but it's way more fun for me to say dumb and dumber because it invokes this very bressonian juxtaposition in the mind

(this is why bresson preferred non-actors, he said)

Quote:
Yeah I did not like Maggie at all. Not one bit.

Loved Emily Mortimer.
Loved Olivia Munn! She’s taken nothing but shit roles since that show! Who would have thought she could actually act? Why doesn’t she do that?

She’s content to be a Megan Fox type, I guess. Bugger. She was one of the best oarts of the show. Actually, probably my favorite.

nah, she's not a stupid person and doesn't want that

"she's hot therefore stupid" is a horrible typecasting. curse of the hot girl
Old 10.04.2017, 10:15 AM   #1754
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
nah, she's not a stupid person and doesn't want that

"she's hot therefore stupid" is a horrible typecasting. curse of the hot girl

I don’t think she is stupid. I just don’t know why she takes roles like the dumb stripper girlfriend on “New Girl,” or the two-line, busty Psylocke in “X-Men: Apocalypse” when she’s clearly cut out for better things. Of course, what do I know? Might be all casting directors want from her. Which would be crappy as helll.

I don’t think you can really be stupid and also hold your own — not hold your own even, but be one of the high points of — an Aaron Sorkin show.

I saw all those other roles before I saw this one, so I’m just very pleasantly surprised by her. Damn good.
Old 10.04.2017, 01:30 PM   #1755
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I don’t think she is stupid. I just don’t know why she takes roles like the dumb stripper girlfriend on “New Girl,” or the two-line, busty Psylocke in “X-Men: Apocalypse” when she’s clearly cut out for better things. Of course, what do I know? Might be all casting directors want from her. Which would be crappy as helll.

I don’t think you can really be stupid and also hold your own — not hold your own even, but be one of the high points of — an Aaron Sorkin show.

I saw all those other roles before I saw this one, so I’m just very pleasantly surprised by her. Damn good.

yeah it's a problem she's been having for a while now. like she can't be a feminist because she poses in a bikini or whatever. she's smart and funny but the casting & art directors see only a bimbo.

anyway here's an interview with her about a little bit of that

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-pervs-anymore

wow that is old! i used to watch her in "attack of the show" -- not sure if you ever saw that program, it was a bunch of nerd shit and a lot of fun
Old 10.04.2017, 08:18 PM   #1756
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah it's a problem she's been having for a while now. like she can't be a feminist because she poses in a bikini or whatever. she's smart and funny but the casting & art directors see only a bimbo.

anyway here's an interview with her about a little bit of that

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-pervs-anymore

wow that is old! i used to watch her in "attack of the show" -- not sure if you ever saw that program, it was a bunch of nerd shit and a lot of fun

Holy shit she was in Attack of the Show.

I barely watched that thing but it was on the same channel that re-ran Arrested Development every day during a period of ... ahhh... sadness and unemployment for me.
Old 10.06.2017, 03:04 PM   #1757
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

jeezus just finished watching the first episode of last year's walking dead-- you know-- when we find out who got clobbered

sooooooooo fuuuuuuuuuuuckin boooooooooooooring!

the only reason i watch is cuz i got hooked ont his long ago and i "have to" find out what happens.

but hell, everything takes soooooooo fuuuuuuuucking loooooooong with the pathetic music and the feeeeeeeeeelings!

the makers of this should could take a page from the "empire" book and make things move forward faster

if i had 1.5x playback on the app i'd do it that way

this show should be renamed "watch people moan"
Old 10.07.2017, 02:22 PM   #1758
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

finishing original dr who's "the keys of marinus" now

the ultra-low budget with the props and sets i can forgive--and even admire! extraordinary cheapness, ratty costumes, scale model,etc-- they show a lot of creativity.

but there is some terrible acting on it. poor susan (the doctor's granddaughter) is quite horrible-- she later blamed the series on the death of her acting career, but when you see her you realize it was all on her. a lot of the extras and minor characters were also pretty terrible.

and then the action sequences were super-awful-- instead of stunt people they had people move clumsily and slowly so that the opponent could safely "miss the hit". it's like something put on by highschoolers.

and the writing isn't great-- while the story has some sci-fi great ideas, the plot is stretched out with boy-scout type perils and other nonsense. same thing that happened in the first daleks serial when they take 3 episodes to move through some fucking caves.

anyway, worth it for the archaeology but not really a lot of fun in themselves in this day-- they just take too long because of all the fluff and filler.

i'm still gonna keep watching them though haaa haaa haaa haaaa
Old 10.07.2017, 02:41 PM   #1759
Severian
invito al cielo

Fuck the Walking Dead!
Old 10.07.2017, 02:52 PM   #1760
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i know. im just gonna read the episode recaps on wikipedia and be done with that shit.
78858687 88 89909198138188 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth