Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY Lolapallooza farewell?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.17.2012, 02:27 PM   #21
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
they aren't doing it because it's lame and they know it.

YES.

There was a great quote recently in an interview with Mike Mills regarding REM's split and the chance of a farewell tour:

Quote:
They didn't do a victory-lap last tour because it would be "maudlin and manipulative," says Mills. "It would also feel very mercenary, like, 'Everybody buy a ticket because you're not going to see us again!' That's kind of creepy; that's not the way we do things."

Obviously a different band and a very different situation, but I'd be very surprised if Sonic Youth didn't feel the same way about a farewell tour.
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2012, 03:44 PM   #22
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Which do you prefer:

1- No more shows ever
2- No more shows for a few more years
3- Farewell tour by themselves
4- Lolopallooza as farewell tour
5- They stick together and keep up the album/tour every two years or so schedule
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
5. ofcourse.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2012, 04:44 PM   #24
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
5. 1, 3 and 4 are equally undesirable to me.
Old 02.17.2012, 07:40 PM   #25
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. i don't believe it

I do not believe this is going to happen. However if it does ill be there with bells on.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2012, 07:44 PM   #26
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

sorry Sonic Youth fanatics. the south american tour was the last and the greatest.

let it be

Disagree. That last show was crap. Something was off, or something was missing. But I was disappointed as hell by the farewell show and I would like to see them say goodbye in a better way. I can't speak for the tour as a whole but that last show was a let down.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2012, 01:04 PM   #27
nervehold
empty page

nervehold kicks all y'all's assesnervehold kicks all y'all's assesnervehold kicks all y'all's assesnervehold kicks all y'all's assesnervehold kicks all y'all's assesnervehold kicks all y'all's assesnervehold kicks all y'all's assesnervehold kicks all y'all's assesnervehold kicks all y'all's assesnervehold kicks all y'all's assesnervehold kicks all y'all's asses
For incredibly selfish reasons I would love to see a farewell show, but don't really expect it to happen. I've been listening to SY since I was 13 (1997) and only got to see them one time on the Rather Ripped tour. They played Teenage Riot as the opener and followed with almost all RR material. Would be cool to see them play songs spanning some of their older stuff. Again, don't expect it to happen, but I'd be willing to travel great distances to see it.
nervehold is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2012, 08:01 PM   #28
rocky
bad moon rising

rocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
they aren't doing it because it's lame and they know it.

I can't say I disagree! It would be much more exciting for it to seem like they are done, and then at no fun fest or something they are just there, unannounced or announced very close to the actual date, and play an amazing concert, and still no one would know their plans after that. : )
Old 02.18.2012, 09:44 PM   #29
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth Farewell Tour sponsored by Sub Pop and the fine folks at
Unilever, makers of Creamsicle frozen treats.
Old 02.19.2012, 03:00 AM   #30
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know that I'd want to go to a Sonic Youth farewell show/tour. I suspect it'd bring out all the morons who want to be able to say they were there for SY's farewell but who don't actually give a shit about the band or the music and who would just spoil the event for those who do.

My experience at the London NYE show a couple of year's back was spoiled by that sort of people, and it's ruined my memory of the whole thing.

That said, if my final SY live experience could be guaranteed to be a good one, and I could have a positive memory to go out on, well I'd be there like a shot.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2012, 08:28 AM   #31
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
I will believe it when I read something Moshe about it!

I will believe it too when I read something I wrote about it
I tend to trust myself.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2012, 12:10 PM   #32
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
I will believe it too when I read something I wrote about it
I tend to trust myself.

You better not be holding out on us ya kn ow...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2012, 01:37 PM   #33
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
I can confirm that sy will not play Lollapalooza this year.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.19.2012, 04:14 PM   #34
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Moshe again.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.20.2012, 11:34 PM   #35
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
I can confirm that sy will not play Lollapalooza this year.

You better not hold out on us dood.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth