Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Should women be allowed to wear Burqas in public?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.18.2006, 04:43 AM   #1
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses

I don't have a problem with it at all, but it has become an important issue in Holland the last year or so. I can't say that Holland is one of the most tolerant countries in Europe anymore. Fucking pathetic!!
Die Rita Die!!!!!!!

Netherlands considers burqa ban

The Dutch immigration minister says she will look into the legality of banning the burqa, the robes worn by some Muslim women to cover their bodies.

Rita Verdonk made the pledge after a majority in parliament said it would support such a ban.

The proposal was put forward by independent politician Geert Wilders.

"That women should walk the streets in a totally unrecognisable manner is an insult to everyone who believes in equal rights," he said.

"This law is a comfort to moderate Muslims and will contribute to integration in the Netherlands," he added in a statement.

His proposal is supported by two of the parties in the governing centre-right coalition, as well as the opposition right-wing party founded by the late Pim Fortuyn.

Mrs Verdonk did not say when she might complete her investigation.

If the Netherlands does decide to ban the burqa, it will be the first European country to do so.

I recently wore a balaclava when I went shopping in a busy high street and almost got arrested for it. People avoided me, and I felt like a terrorist.

What are your opinions? Should Tokolosh have the right to wear one on a nudist beach, while suntanning?
(: )
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 04:57 AM   #2
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
yes they should be allowed to wear them. as much as i dont agree with them and think that they are wrong i dont think that they should be banned in public.

as far as the balaclava on the nudist beach, they have websites for that kind of thing man.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 04:59 AM   #3
wax
the destroyed room

wax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asseswax kicks all y'all's asses
im not a big fan of islam at all, not a fan of any religions, especialy the extreme versions. but im a big fan off free speech and personal freedom. it doesnt hurt me or this guy who's trying to ban it.
it may harm the women, but its up to them to break out of it. if western women didnt fight for the vote and for equal rights, theyd still be wearing aprons, baking cakes and very much controlled by the men in their life.
i disagree this has anything to do with beliefs, but im sure the islam community will argue otherwise.

personally i find it disgusting, ugly and ridiculous, the whole wearing buqas. but if i didnt find it so disgusting, id very much want the right to wear one, as its fuck all to do with anyone else and its not hurting anyone.
the real issue is.......do the women really want to wear them?
or is it the guys/tradition making them? (i think YES)
would the same men who enforce it on the women in their family enjoy wearing one themselves if it were the norm?
answer------no, it would piss them off.
wax is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 06:18 AM   #4
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
its not my place to tell soomeone what to wear or how to wear it! it shouldnt be one culture imposing beliefs on another... how would the christian world like it if the muslim/islamic world told us that we can no longer eat cow!
Old 11.18.2006, 06:18 AM   #5
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax

I'm sure Meena would have agreed with you.

One of her poems I’LL NEVER RETURN is very much popular among feminists. Parts of the poem:

I'm the woman who has awoken
I've arisen and become a tempest through the ashes of my burnt children
I've arisen from the rivulets of my brother's blood
My nation's wrath has empowered me
My ruined and burnt villages fill me with hatred against the enemy
Oh compatriot, no longer regard me weak and incapable,
My voice has mingled with thousands of arisen women
My fists are clenched with fists of thousands compatriots
To break all these sufferings all these fetters of slavery.
I'm the woman who has awoken,
I've found my path and will never return.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
"An insult to everyone who believes in equal rights?"

Anyone making religious clothing illegal has no business using this rationale.

Yes, I think the whole thing is fucked up, but I can't really relate to religious people of any stripe. They can do what they want.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 10:33 AM   #7
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Where's Laila when you need her........
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 10:49 AM   #8
The Usher
stalker

The Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's assesThe Usher kicks all y'all's asses
i don't think women should be allowed out in public.

The Usher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 11:01 AM   #9
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
yes they should be allowed to wear them. as much as i dont agree with them and think that they are wrong i dont think that they should be banned in public.

as far as the balaclava on the nudist beach, they have websites for that kind of thing man.
I don't agree with them either but,yes,everyone should be allowed to wear their colours wherever and whenever they want.I couldn't think of anything more aberrant than someone(religious or not) negating the right of showing themselves the way they actually look like to other human beings but if that means the person in question doesn't know any better,let it be that way.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 11:05 AM   #10
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Should women be allowed to wear Burqas in public?

yes but just to do pictures.
Old 11.18.2006, 11:21 AM   #11
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
Considering thoughts of reciprocity .... yes. And I would have big problems denying this central maxim of law tradition (and maybe not only law). Western originated law tradition – of course. But also applied by the nearly universal UN.

I don't have a terminal opinion on this and to prescribe somebody what to wear indeed appears strange, but it's arguable.
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 11:23 AM   #12
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, but it is more arguable pertaining to the wearing of flipflops.
Now that is offensive!
Old 11.18.2006, 11:27 AM   #13
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Flipflops a are crime against society and therefore more punishable and prone to derision.

Old 11.18.2006, 11:28 AM   #14
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
If your wit got translated correctly, then this doesn't make any sense

Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 11:29 AM   #15
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulasch Noir
If your wit got translated correctly, then this doesn't make any sense

Double standards,you understand.....

Old 11.18.2006, 12:02 PM   #16
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

That photo is more disgusting than tubgirl and goatse put together.
Old 11.18.2006, 12:05 PM   #17
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
somehow i am doubting that.

the koran says not to make a big thing out of your beauty or to hide your beauty. something along those lines, which some jerk decided meant all women to cover their faces.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 12:26 PM   #18
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
if the banning was to "help" those women to get rid of it..
but, have no idea which % of women really want to get rid of their burqa, but maybe they dont even know themselves, since never had the privillege of choice.
never agree with banning, probably in this occassion either.
fanatism is always scary and i m in notlisteningmode on flipflop comments.

I find the notion that women wearing the burqa are 'forced' into it by 'male opressors' somewhat distasteful.

The burqa isn't, as many assume, a religious obligation - many Muslim countries don't observe it at all, and as far as I'm concerned, it is a choice in a secular society (such as Britain) and an observation of a cultural norm in Muslim societies (that is, the societies which observe it). I know one lady who wears the Burqa from time to time, and she does really enjoy wearing it. I would say she is far from being a battered fishwife, and is probably one of the most confident women I know. She feels very comfortable in a burqa, and I don't think it's fair for anyone to suggest that every woman who wears a burqa is being intimidated by the male oppressors.

Personally, I don't like the burqas. I don't mind headscarves, but not being able to see someone's facial expressions is something I find disconcerting. In the recent (British) instance of a teaching assistant being ordered to remove her burqa while teaching, I side with the teaching authorities, although so far as I can make out the story has, predictably, been blown entirely out of all proportion. Like many people here though, I defend anyone's personal choice to wear what they like. I often wear t-shirts which may be considered offensive (particularly the one which says, "I am a CUNT"), and I think that's a lot more offensive than a burqa. I generally wear it under a shirt, unless there's a particular ocassion where I know no-one is going to take massive offense. However, if I were to wear it in a shopping centre with kids around, I think I would be right to be arrested for obscenity. The thing with the burqa is that it is disconcerting, but I don't think that it is in any way offensive, unless the secular societies which serve to prohibit the choice to wear the burqa find any 'different' trends or fashion to be offensive, which is certainly very unlikely (in what I know of Europe, anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.18.2006, 12:35 PM   #19
porkmarras
invito al cielo

I was going to neg rep you for that but it wont let me.

Old 11.18.2006, 12:48 PM   #20
porkmarras
invito al cielo

For the record,women being forced to dress or undress in any way is a distasteful thing wichever way you look at it.I'm sure Glice didn't mean no harm but there is no debate on this issue as being forced to wear and hide your face is never,EVER, pleasant in whatever context you put it.End of discussion here.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth