Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Ken Loach Films
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.20.2006, 04:31 AM   #1
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses

I watched The Wind That Shakes the Barley last night. Brilliant!
I really enjoyed it. The name is borrowed from an Irish ballad written by Robert Dwyer Joyce (1836-1883),
a Limerick born poet and professor of English literature.

Synopsis:

Damien (Cillian Murphy) is about to leave Ireland for his medical studies in London, while his brother Teddy is an active member of the Irish Republican Army. After witnessing an act of resistance to the daily violence of the Black and Tans, he decides to stay and fight back against the English occupation, and joins the IRA in a guerilla war against British paramilitary forces. When the peace treaty is agreed, the two brothers find themselves pitted against one another: Teddy, who is involved in the organisation of the new Irish Free State, wishes everyone to support peace; Damien, however, deems that this peace treaty is not what he has fought for, and that it will 'only change the colour of the flag', the oppressed remaining so while the elite is replaced. This is the outbreak of the Irish Civil War, when the men in a uniform are now Irish.
In a bid to impose their view on the treaty, both the Irish Free State army and the anti-treaty IRA resort to the same violent means that were used previously by the occupation army and the guerilla, with the violence now directed towards former comrades, and atrocities are committed on both sides. At the end of the film, Damien is about to be executed by the Irish Free State army. Teddy offers to release him if he reveals where the IRA stores their weapons; Damien refuses, and is executed by a firing squad commanded by Teddy.
Laverty has explained that many of the incidents in the film are based on true incidents. Presumably some of the characters are composites; Teddy has similarities with Tom Barry (although he fought on the anti-Treaty side in the Civil War), as the ambush in the film is clearly based on the legendary Kilmichael Ambush. Damien has similarities with two people who gave up their medical studies to join the IRA: Ernie O'Malley, who wrote one of the best known personal histories of the conflict, On Another Man's Wound, and Paddy O'Sullivan, whose brother Micheál wrote a book about the war, Where Mountainy Men Have Sown. Allusion is also made to the atrocities of the civil war era.

Wikipedia

What I love about Ken Loach movies, is the way he pursues stories of social struggle.
Almost all his films deal with a so-called 'social evil' as Loach would describe it.
I've seen:

Ladybird Ladybird
Hidden Agenda
Sweet sixteen
Kes
Land and freedom
(one of my favs up until now)
The Wind That Shakes the Barley (yesterday)

Any other recommendations?
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 04:39 AM   #2
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
kes and sweet sixteen are both really good. raining stones is supposed to be ok.

did you cry at the end of kes?

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.20.2006, 04:46 AM   #3
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah. The death of kes is heartbreaking.
I almost cry in all Loach movies. The drama of mankind!
Old 11.20.2006, 04:51 AM   #4
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Tokolish, was it you who mentioned the Weathermen Underground doco a few months back on this board? I saw it on tele roughly around the same time, which is why I mentioned it in that particular thread, but do you know where you can get that on DVD?
Old 11.20.2006, 05:19 AM   #5
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

I've got it on VHS, and I'm still looking for it on Region 0 or 2.
You could try this link, but be careful though, 'cause you guys have Region 4 in Australia
and most WU versions are Region 1 (NTSC-US/Canada only).

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808456154/dvdinfo

Here's a nice link with a big list of DVD's for many regions.
Can't find WU in it though.
http://dvd.cd-wow.co.uk/cheap/dvd.php

If someone else knows where I can get an import version for Europe, please let me know.
Old 11.20.2006, 06:18 AM   #6
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
I like his movies. Looks that he concentrates in a film all the misfortunes happenable to a real common man. haha joke, his is really great!
Old 11.20.2006, 08:18 AM   #7
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
its true that his films havea real gritty realness and dont always have the nicest subject matter but he is a greeat director for this reason alone.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 11.20.2006, 08:19 AM   #8
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
the wind that shakes the barley is ok, and thats coming from an irish guy.... the dvd has just been released over here for retail last week. it should be readily gettable in region 2 anyway.

ken loach is great..
raining stones is one of the unsung classic british films ever
Old 11.20.2006, 08:29 AM   #9
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
havent seen 'The wind that shakes the barley' yet but I'll do...

I'm completely agree with you Jonboy. time ago I was little sick about the same 'good looking' actors and I was looking for something different, Loach films were really okay!
Old 11.20.2006, 08:31 AM   #10
jon boy
invito al cielo

kes, c'mon kes.

man that film was good. poor casper. tear is forming in my eye as a write this.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 11.20.2006, 08:33 AM   #11
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
the wind that shakes the barley is ok, and thats coming from an irish guy.... the dvd has just been released over here for retail last week. it should be readily gettable in region 2 anyway.

ken loach is great..
raining stones is one of the unsung classic british films ever

Gonna get Raining Stones soon. Thanks.
Why do you find his latest film just "ok"?
Is'nt the subject matter appealing?
Old 11.20.2006, 08:40 AM   #12
next step
the destroyed room

Raining Stones and Riff Raff are good too!
Old 11.20.2006, 09:26 AM   #13
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
I thought Sweet Sixteen was rather great.
Old 11.20.2006, 01:10 PM   #14
next step
the destroyed room

yes it is
for me too.
Old 11.20.2006, 02:28 PM   #15
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Gonna get Raining Stones soon. Thanks.
Why do you find his latest film just "ok"?
Is'nt the subject matter appealing?

yeah, to a point and it does pull at the irish traditionalist embedded in us all but i just thought the film wasnt as great as i expected, maybe that was the problem.... got to watch it again from the comfort of my own couch tho... im not saying its a bad film, just not a great one.....

riff raff... forgot that one! classic
Old 11.21.2006, 04:41 PM   #16
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
I've got it on VHS, and I'm still looking for it on Region 0 or 2.
You could try this link, but be careful though, 'cause you guys have Region 4 in Australia
and most WU versions are Region 1 (NTSC-US/Canada only).

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808456154/dvdinfo

Here's a nice link with a big list of DVD's for many regions.
Can't find WU in it though.
http://dvd.cd-wow.co.uk/cheap/dvd.php

If someone else knows where I can get an import version for Europe, please let me know.

Cheers for that.

You can find a crack for your DVD player on the net pretty easily. I got given Dig as a present and it was a US import, didn't work on my DVD player, so I just got a crack from the net and now every region plays on my player. Funnily enough though, the cheaper $50 or so DVD players play all DVDs.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth