Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Board Fantasy World Cup
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.11.2006, 02:45 PM   #581
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
i was afraid that the fantasy game would ruin my enjoyment of the world cup (thinking during each entire game of how many points i would get from each action, and hoping that a forward makes a lot of shots on goal but without scoring, because both the forward and the goalkeeper are in my team), but fortunately it did not happen, i still enjoyed the real games without thinking too much of the fantasy game... it's strange that i won this, i was surprised during the whole thing that i kept being lucky and staying first or second...

yes, the name comes from Grand Popo Football Club... i chose this name by chance, i created my team just before the WC opening game and had no idea of a name...
apparently grand popo is a place in Benin:

i thought it was a really great final, but i wonder if i would have found this final that great if i had been neutral.

a lot of drama, in any case... i have thought a lot about zidane's headbutt and i absolutely do not know what to think of it. it's strange to think that this will be his last action as a footballer. the image of him walking out of the field past the cup was amazing. the deposed hero... everything was ready to make him the hero of this night and he nearly destroys it all by himself (right after the good headball buffon stopped, perhaps a turning point), it even looks as if he knew exactly what he was doing...

anyway, it was sad to see thuram cry at the end, he played really well again... also sad for Trezeguet... foolishly i was convinced that he was going to score 2-1 for France when he came in...

from the very start, i had the feeling italy could win this WC... i had the feeling it was the team who would be able to beat Brazil (at the time before the WC when most people were wondering if one team could actually beat Brazil).

i also had the feeling that if it's penalties, then Italy was the sure winner.

i had the impression that France really dominated the whole second half time and the overtime, but then again they did not have a lot of opportunities... and in the end, it turns out France has not managed to score a non-penalty-kick goal since the quarterfinals...

so it's over, now. the city already feels a bit different.
the bus of the french team drove in the street where i work on monday morning (on their way to the airport, i guess), but i only heard the sirens, when i came to the window, it was already gone...
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 02:57 PM   #582
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
We were talking about the Zidane headbutt in work today, and the thing we all agreed on was the idea that Zidane did not seem to 'lose it' or get angry - it's very calm, deliberate and almost premeditated in appearance. No violence before, none after, no berating the referee.

After years of racial and personal abuse, did he just decide that in his last ever game, he wasn't going to take any crap? It's not like FIFA can ban him, is it? And Matterazzi happened to be the one who was giving him grief on that day.

Footballers are placed in a bizarre and unpleasant situation; every time they go to work they must suffer racial and pesonal abuse, whilst the onlooking ground stewards and policemen do absolutely nothing. If it was an office or factory worker, or even a television presenter (or whatever, really) then that situation would not be allowed to occur. It's a repulsive part of the job, that shouldn't be seen as part of the job.

One thing is for sure. When Zidane announces that he's going to write an autobiography, with a full explanation of 'that headbutt', he'll be absolutely roliing in advance money.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 03:03 PM   #583
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Zinedine Zidane Headbutt Game

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 04:31 PM   #584
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sure you guys already know this, but there is speculation that Matterazzi may have called him a terrorist. This sort of touches on what you were saying Hip Priest. This does not justify it though.

After being called a terrorist, why use violence to solve a conflict, like a terrorist?

Its a shame it had to happen...
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 04:56 PM   #585
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oh man that was a sad sad moment. he let himself be psyched out of the game. wrong move. really. no matter what he was told-- he's playing the fucking world cup final! in a way he lost the game for france. a pity.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2006, 05:14 PM   #586
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I think France was going to lose either way, but it put France in a really strange postion for the remainder of the game.

Honestly, Trezeguet's horribly missed PK is the real downfall.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
272829 30
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth