Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Check our cool documentary-Girls Rock!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.09.2006, 12:28 AM   #61
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I think the "reviled" would come from being a motley crue tribute band, if anything. Such atrocious music!

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 12:30 AM   #62
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
you know you love it.

"Don't go away mad...."
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 12:31 AM   #63
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Blech!
Night-night.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 12.09.2006, 12:34 AM   #64
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
I certainly hope not a lot. The girls at the girls' camp here in NY are between the ages of 8 and 18, and from the trailer it looks like the same age range. There is nothing really about the camp experience that really exploits or focusses on sexuality or gender in any way. It really is just about rocking. It's kind of like girl scouts, but more fun (I say that having never been a girl scout so I really am just talking shit).

Oh shit, my cynicism got busted.

I just felt like playing devil's advocate because this person, girlsrockmovie, is not a regular poster. She isn't an outright spammer either like we get here, to be fair, and I went over-the-top a little. I was actually just about to write a post here where I used the word "cynical" to classify my last post when I revisted the thread and then saw your post.

Let me rephrase...

How many tattoos and piercings are in this flick?

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 12:41 AM   #65
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If feminism is overplayed, it can definitely get annoying. I like a lot of things that feminists seem to hate.

Well, I fall in line with Kierkegaard, reaping the benefits of his wisdom. To clarify, he, however, did live in a time when Women's Rights was referred to as "The Woman Issue" or even "The Woman Problem" and women were struggling for rights. Russia had a myriad of questions to answer: issue of the Serfs and Women's Rights (including the right to own property) and also what the hell the people wanted the government to be. (This is a good part of why Dostoyevsky is unique in fiction). (Ibsen is hip too). France and other European nations paved the way for labor laws, industrial regulation and unions, women's rights, human rights...the list goes on and on...

Kierkegaard fully supported equal rights and the concern at hand which was women's right to vote. But, Kierkegaard was also wary of some eventual aspects of the movement's accomplishment and fruition. Namely, he was concerned that women would take upon the ego and self of men and in the process, lose an invaluable part of their femininity. Kierkeegard, who through Jesus' very-Eastern (actually) philosophy, was expressing what the Taoists did, and that is: The integrity of Yin and Yang should be natural.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 03:34 AM   #66
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
i dont CARE that only 22% of musicians on MTV are girls, because 100% of what plays on mtv is SHIT
everyone knows by now (or should , i hope ? ) that its up to you to dig up the good shit , whether the bands are girls singing about girl things, guys singing about guy things , or just people rocking out .
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 05:14 PM   #67
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
sounds like it is going to be an opinion based rockumentary rather than objective, give this one a miss and hey it probably won't make it to aus anyway, tons of chick bands here or bands with chicks in. one of the pubs has been running a festival for the last decade or so called girl germs which is all ways a kick ass day of rocking out.

maybe where the doco is made and based there are tons of chicks with low self esteem, it is great they can have an outlet like the rock camp and the doco can highlight this and maybe other girls with low self esteem can find out about it and go. but i still won't see the doc, mainly because all of the women i know in the industries are strong and independent, that is music, theatre and film industries.

and the doco is not about women in rock, it is about women who are using an instrument as a therapy by the looks of it. there is a metal band here in my home town which is all chicks and they blow 98 percent of the other bands of the stage when ever they play.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 08:12 PM   #68
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsrockmovie
Anyone who looks at a trailer and a tagline and starts making up all kinds of stupid crap up about how corny and cliche the whole enterprise is, is obviously already carrying around the kind of crap that girls have to confront everyday.

No, not really. This thing is corny and cliche. Girls rock, it's true. Everbody already knows. Riot Grrrl is so 15 years ago.

Quote:
Do any of you even know who Kim Gordon is for chrissake?

Yes, we all do.

Quote:
For all of you who think it's all the same, and doesn't matter if it's boys or girls or whatever stupid shit,

So GUYS singing is stupid shit now?

Quote:
when we called Sonic Youth to license a song for our documentary, we were actually accidentally given Kim Gordon's home number.

Wooooow, you're so fucking cool!

Quote:
She called us back, and after telling her about the project, she actually brought up the fact that we were asking to license Sugarcane, which doesn't feature her singing. "Kind of ironic that it's a song a guy is singing, doncha think?" she said. We were shocked we hadn't thought of that, had just been looking for some feedback sounds.

You were looking for 'feedback sounds', so you picked Sugar Kane? Are you fucking stupid?

Quote:
I guess alot of you aren't really here cause you're Sonic Youth fans, so that kind of thing probably won't matter to you much, that Kim Gordon herself would be aware of the need to feature female voices.

I am a HUGE Sonic Youth fan. I can bet I know more about them than you. Kim Gordon cared about this kind of stuff when it was RELEVANT, 15 or so years ago, but really, gender is no longer an issue AT ALL.

Quote:
Better yet, since it's so easy to be courageously "critical" and outspoken on the internet, why don't you try yelling some of this crap at her at the next Sonic Youth show you go get baked at?

Way to assume shit. Drugs are bad. We're not against Riot-Grrl-era Kim Gordon, we're against your movie, which has turned up way too late, very rudely, in our forum.

Quote:
For the woman who went to Ladies Rock Camp, cheers for being the dissenting voice in this load of adolescent crap, sorry it took me so long to get back here and get your back. I had no idea that a band as thoughtful, revolutionary and against the grain would inspire such an insipid and culturally mainstream bunch of Maxim-fed piddle.

Cheers to Patty as well, for arguing much better than you can. She made me realise that I had come on a little too strong. Sorry to you for that, by the way, wall91. However, you, and your bullshit account can just fuck off, as you're proven to be as ignorant and near-sighted as the stereotypical males you claim to be against.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.09.2006, 08:51 PM   #69
k-krack
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
No, not really. This thing is corny and cliche. Girls rock, it's true. Everbody already knows. Riot Grrrl is so 15 years ago.

Yes, we all do.

You were looking for 'feedback sounds', so you picked Sugar Kane? Are you fucking stupid?

I am a HUGE Sonic Youth fan. I can bet I know more about them than you. Kim Gordon cared about this kind of stuff when it was RELEVANT, 15 or so years ago, but really, gender is no longer an issue AT ALL.

Way to assume shit. Drugs are bad. We're not against Riot-Grrl-era Kim Gordon, we're against your movie, which has turned up way too late, very rudely, in our forum.

Cheers to Patty as well, for arguing much better than you can. She made me realise that I had come on a little too strong. Sorry to you for that, by the way, wall91. However, you, and your bullshit account can just fuck off, as you're proven to be as ignorant and near-sighted as the stereotypical males you claim to be against.

Woo-urd.

I suppose yr (girlsrockmovie) reason for being here is because yr a true SY fan, what with referring to the song as "Sugarcane," I can tell...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
Old 12.10.2006, 01:46 AM   #70
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
No ins or outs....I'd like to see it.
Old 12.10.2006, 02:33 AM   #71
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I'd watch it. I do think the idea is alittle naff for me to be involved in it though. But then I never liked organised camps in general... that and I'm not a chick.

I don't think girls in rock music are disadvantaged either - if anything, quite the opposite. Get a band consisting of all girls, and they get more attention ("Wow, these chicks rock") then a band full of guys, even if they don't happen to be up to the standard of the bands full of guys on the line-up.
Plus, all the manufactured shit that you see on the tv and hear on the radio is mostly chicks. Even though it isn't rock music or whatever, it's still females having a part and not being outcasted for their sex/gender.

Saying all this, I'm not against the film. It can't hurt.
Old 12.10.2006, 05:21 AM   #72
girlsrockmovie
empty page

girlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to beholdgirlsrockmovie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself

Yes, we all do.

Wow, you actually have more to say than "Feminism can suck my big fat cock"! Amazing!

And yes, I'm sure you do know more about Sonic Youth than I do...and I could really tell by the feminism cock comment. This whole discussion is getting rather hilarious actually. I love how people are against a movie they've never even seen that isn't even really totally finished yet! It's like a fundamentalist christian boycott or sumtin. Lord knows we should all do our best to come down hard on such villainous targets as feminism or little girls who like playing music.

There isn't really any point in addressing yer other stuff, except to say that you conveniently skipped the part where Sonic Youth actually supports the camp right now. Materially and figuratively. You can check out ww.girlsrockcamp.org under "friends" if you'd like. I guess they don't think it was so 15 years ago after all. You should really let Kim know that she's living in the past, I'm sure she'd appreciate the feminism sucks my cock philosophy as well.

Anyway, peace to y'all. I had no idea a movie about girls learning to play music would be so controversial. Next time I'll make a movie about something safe we can all agree on, like the Iraq war or abortion.
girlsrockmovie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2006, 06:42 AM   #73
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't skip that part. I just didn't think it was relevant much. SY aren't the boss of me, however much you think they are. When Jesus comes out and supports this movie, I'll support it.

I see you conveniently skipped the rest of my post, though, right?

How can you not see how hypocritical you are? You're so for this 'girls rock' thing, yet totally against indifference to 'whatever gender is singing, as long as it's good'. You're deluded.

So yes, peace out. Take your piece-of-shit philosophy somewhere else. Girls won. Girls won a long time ago.
Old 12.10.2006, 12:38 PM   #74
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Wow, you actually have more to say than "Feminism can suck my big fat cock"! Amazing!
And yes, I'm sure you do know more about Sonic Youth than I do...and I could really tell by the feminism cock comment.

of course he does, why else would he come here?

Quote:
This whole discussion is getting rather hilarious actually. I love how people are against a movie they've never even seen that isn't even really totally finished yet! It's like a fundamentalist christian boycott or sumtin.

We just don't like people comming here to promote there music/movies etc.

Quote:
Lord knows we should all do our best to come down hard on such villainous targets as feminism or little girls who like playing music. There isn't really any point in addressing yer other stuff, except to say that you conveniently skipped the part where Sonic Youth actually supports the camp right now. Materially and figuratively.

just because we love sonic youth's music, doesn't meen we support EVERYTHING they do, or even like them as people.

Quote:
You can check out ww.girlsrockcamp.org under "friends" if you'd like.

"oh look at me i'm soooo kool sonic youth like me and my movie"

Quote:
I guess they don't think it was so 15 years ago after all. You should really let Kim know that she's living in the past, I'm sure she'd appreciate the feminism sucks my cock philosophy as well.
Anyway, peace to y'all. I had no idea a movie about girls learning to play music would be so controversial. Next time I'll make a movie about something safe we can all agree on, like the Iraq war or abortion.

just leave us alone!!!!!!, as someone mentioned earlier, we are a family, and we dont like sales people trying to sell us shit whilst we are having a nice chat.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2006, 02:32 PM   #75
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

That's what I'm talkin' about.

*gangsta handshake*
Old 12.10.2006, 02:54 PM   #76
random homie
bad moon rising

random homie kicks all y'all's assesrandom homie kicks all y'all's assesrandom homie kicks all y'all's assesrandom homie kicks all y'all's assesrandom homie kicks all y'all's assesrandom homie kicks all y'all's assesrandom homie kicks all y'all's assesrandom homie kicks all y'all's assesrandom homie kicks all y'all's assesrandom homie kicks all y'all's assesrandom homie kicks all y'all's asses
Jeh, I'll take ya up on dat handshake, nigga.
random homie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2006, 07:30 PM   #77
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
maybe where the doco is made and based there are tons of chicks with low self esteem, it is great they can have an outlet like the rock camp and the doco can highlight this and maybe other girls with low self esteem can find out about it and go.

Now this is the shit that pisses me off. First off, these girls are of the age where it's their parents sending them to the camp, not poor little girls deciding to try music as therapy for their lagging self-esteem. And as far as the people who decide to go to the camp, myself being one, you know ahead of time that you will be playing on stage at a club at the end of it. The type of girls you are describing would most likely say "I could never do that."

When I got the email about the rock camp that I went to, I was all over it and rushed to get my payment in to make sure it wasn't sold out. Somehow I was misunderstood earlier and labelled this poor shy little girl, probably because I said I never dreamed I'd have a band now. The reason I said that is I'm a 31-year-old married female with a career that I love and have no plans on giving up. I do plan on having a family at some point, and all those things factor in to things. Also add to that that at the time I went to the camp, I'd been playing bass for three months and have never had any sort of musical training. I couldn't tell you what fret was a G without looking at my notebook. I think those of you coming up with this low self-esteem crap should look at where the hell that's coming from. If it were a boys' rock camp would you be saying it's for boys who suffer from psychological problems?

Quote:
there is a metal band here in my home town which is all chicks and they blow 98 percent of the other bands of the stage when ever they play.

Maybe I was imagining things but I thought there was a sentence there earlier about how much credit they get for that. I can imagine the comments they get. "Wow, those girls are actually good." Actually is one adverb away from a compliment, and you know those comments are made, especially in rock and metal.

You know, the person who made the original post did come off a little bitter and resorted to personally attacking the board, which has obviously caused a little bit of anger/resentment. But I think they were just as shocked as I was at the attitudes coming from a place like this. It brought out feelings in me that I didn't even know I had. Try and look at the big picture and don't take something that is completely positive (rock camp) and turn it into something that it's not.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2006, 07:34 PM   #78
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

You've shown to be the most grown-up person in the whole thread. Which makes sense, because you're a grown-up.

Cheers?
Old 12.10.2006, 07:45 PM   #79
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
get over it, i said something partially positive and alot of my friends close friends are female performer be it music, theatre what ever, give a fuck.... this is all over someone advertising their movie on the board here. if you wanna go to rock camp go to rock camp i couldn't give two shits, if you have fun doing it and enjoy it that is fucking brilliant, if you don't, well you wasted your money. or you could use the money that rock camp cost's for the weekend and get some one on one lessons with a teacher and learn the instrument, you already have the attitude and you like one of the best bands ever so........... i won't be positive next time ill just bag the shit out of it just for the sake of it.

Quote:
Now this is the shit that pisses me off. First off, these girls are of the age where it's their parents sending them to the camp, not poor little girls deciding to try music as therapy for their lagging self-esteem. And as far as the people who decide to go to the camp, myself being one, you know ahead of time that you will be playing on stage at a club at the end of it. The type of girls you are describing would most likely say "I could never do that."

When I got the email about the rock camp that I went to, I was all over it and rushed to get my payment in to make sure it wasn't sold out. Somehow I was misunderstood earlier and labelled this poor shy little girl, probably because I said I never dreamed I'd have a band now. The reason I said that is I'm a 31-year-old married female with a career that I love and have no plans on giving up. I do plan on having a family at some point, and all those things factor in to things. Also add to that that at the time I went to the camp, I'd been playing bass for three months and have never had any sort of musical training. I couldn't tell you what fret was a G without looking at my notebook. I think those of you coming up with this low self-esteem crap should look at where the hell that's coming from. If it were a boys' rock camp would you be saying it's for boys who suffer from psychological problems?

Maybe I was imagining things but I thought there was a sentence there earlier about how much credit they get for that. I can imagine the comments they get. "Wow, those girls are actually good." Actually is one adverb away from a compliment, and you know those comments are made, especially in rock and metal.

You know, the person who made the original post did come off a little bitter and resorted to personally attacking the board, which has obviously caused a little bit of anger/resentment. But I think they were just as shocked as I was at the attitudes coming from a place like this. It brought out feelings in me that I didn't even know I had. Try and look at the big picture and don't take something that is completely positive (rock camp) and turn it into something that it's not.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2006, 07:57 PM   #80
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
And as far as the people who decide to go to the camp, myself being one, you know ahead of time that you will be playing on stage at a club at the end of it. The type of girls you are describing would most likely say "I could never do that."

Why? I know girls in bands and they never went to any form of music camp. Neither did I or any of my friends in bands and we still play live. So wouldn't that have something to do with the way certain girls themselves think, rather than what males or anybody else think of them as female musicians?

Anyway, like I said, I'm not against the idea. There's no reason to be against it, none that I can see anyway. But I think some of the reasons behind the camp are alittle bogus.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth