Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2017, 10:19 PM   #4661
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
My mother and my girlfriend are both super into all of this stuff. From kombucha to sauerkraut. Fermenting shit, talkin' bout the microbiome. Me, I can't take a sip of kombucha without actually vomiting.
fermentin' makes for good eatin'

fuk kombucha,i think it can give you botulism ha ha. but a good cheese. a good beer. a good funky soy sauce. a fish sauce. a really good yogurt (i like siggy). (i also like the "greek" one with whole fat, it's like, 4%). eat your microbes. for mental health. a well-made bread. toasted, with butter and marmite.

i forgot to mention yeasts earlier but fukin a yeasts! the yeasts that make laphroaig!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2017, 08:33 AM   #4662
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you said you liked science!

so what do you think about a biomass-centered technology? i mean where all of our products are biologicals--from plastics to to ceramic additives to fractal antennas. no or little mining, no or little industrial processing like, say, bleaching paper-- everything via bacteria/fungus/prokaryote. large animal too-- back to wools etc instead of synthetic fibers (not saying it has to be sheep, but i could be grown in agae vats. say: neosilks.)

DAMMIT MAN

It will be myceleal life forms engineered to cosntruct our "plastics" and "wood" and steel" but all biodegradable and awesome
Old 07.17.2017, 08:34 AM   #4663
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

I read a really horrifying book once about microbial life run amok and essentially invading humanity through airborne spores that changed our biological makeup and "assimilated" us into its mass of spores and greenery. Fucking bloody terrifying.

!

GREG BEAR - Blood Music. cyberpunk deliciousness about the consequences of granting bacterial life sentience and consciousness.
Old 07.17.2017, 08:37 AM   #4664
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Humans by weight are about 30-40% microbes living on our skin, in our guts, and everywhere else they can hang on to.

Kombucha is weaksauce alcohol, fermented tea and juice. fucking jail-booze. I hate it. tastes like vinegared tea. fucking horrible..

In Puerto Rico they sell a weakly alcoholic drink called Mavi (Mabi?) that you can find homemeade at Agua Fresca stands. It gives you a calm little buzz, and it is delicious.

BTW, eating microbes (as in microbiotic yogurt, or kombucha) does not help introduce beneficial shit to you at all. your stomach acids will destroy them all befroe you can "absorb" or "utilize" the microbes. They are feeding you all a bunch of lies!!!
Old 07.17.2017, 09:11 AM   #4665
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Humans by weight are about 30-40% microbes living on our skin, in our guts, and everywhere else they can hang on to.

Kombucha is weaksauce alcohol, fermented tea and juice. fucking jail-booze. I hate it. tastes like vinegared tea. fucking horrible..

In Puerto Rico they sell a weakly alcoholic drink called Mavi (Mabi?) that you can find homemeade at Agua Fresca stands. It gives you a calm little buzz, and it is delicious.

BTW, eating microbes (as in microbiotic yogurt, or kombucha) does not help introduce beneficial shit to you at all. your stomach acids will destroy them all befroe you can "absorb" or "utilize" the microbes. They are feeding you all a bunch of lies!!!

awesome posts above esp. the mycelial one but do you know it's been shown by research that even eating "inactive" yogurt cultures is good for you? so basically it's not about eating "live" microbes but just microbe bodies that's good for you. so it's not really about colonizing your intestines with the stuff but rather giving them some strangeness to entertain themselves--that's what counts it seems.

eta: start here https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20403231, i'll look for more links

and yeah it looks like DEAD CACA IS THE BEST
Old 07.17.2017, 11:27 AM   #4666
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
GREG BEAR - Blood Music. cyberpunk deliciousness about the consequences of granting bacterial life sentience and consciousness.

I like Greg Bear, but I was actually talking about ANNIHILATION/AUTHORITY/ACCEPTANCE ya goofball. I thought for sure you'd pick up on that.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2017, 03:49 PM   #4667
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Finished Gustav Herling's account of his time in Soviet forced labor prison during WWII. A World Apart

https://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2017/...ag-prison.html
Old 08.07.2017, 05:10 PM   #4668
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

this has been a great read multiple times for me...I think I checked it out because Rudy Rucker talked about this in Forced Exposure #17 and it is also in Glenn Branca's cyberpunk list
http://www.glennbranca.com/cyber.html...I suspect the science behind the book is somewhat past date but conceptually it is not dated.

Have you ever read Mick Farren?

EDIT-jeez 1986 was a good year
BLOOD MUSIC - Greg Bear
THE GLASS HAMMER - K.W. Jeter
DAD'S NUKE - Marc Laidlaw(pb, used)$8.00
ECLIPSE - John Shirley(pb) $15.00
SCHISMATRIX - Bruce Sterling
IN THE DRIFT - Michael Swanwick(pb) $7.00
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2017, 10:26 AM   #4669
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Finished Gustav Herling's account of his time in Soviet forced labor prison during WWII. A World Apart

https://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2017/...ag-prison.html

Was it me who recommended this to you? Think it was. Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. If enjoyed is the right word.

The chapter where he's talking reading a smuggled copy of The House Of The Dead was particularly powerful for me.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2017, 11:08 AM   #4670
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

It was. Thanks for the recommendation. brutal stuff.
Old 08.08.2017, 11:50 AM   #4671
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh, thanks for this guys!
Old 08.08.2017, 12:40 PM   #4672
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It was. Thanks for the recommendation. brutal stuff.

Really is. I'm sure you were the same in wondering how the fuck do you keep going day after day.

That bit where he talks about a guy who kept counting down the days left til he was free. He'd tell everyone about it then when the day came he was ordered to the, I don't know what you'd call them, wardens office who decided to add another 5 years onto the 10 years he had just done.

If I remember rightly he just goes back to the bunks and his heart just gives out and dies. Man, that was just awful.

Old 08.08.2017, 12:44 PM   #4673
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Currently reading this. It gets real freakin heavy at points but it's fascinating.

Old 08.08.2017, 12:48 PM   #4674
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt

Currently reading this. It gets real freakin heavy at points but it's fascinating.

I have this on my shelf, but have never read. Let me know what you think when you're done.

I needs to reads more books.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2017, 03:09 PM   #4675
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

as it is im reading a bunch of websites on trading financial instruments

it's near the top of the bull market and the shit's gonna hit the fan not right now but it's coming

i wanna be ready ready ready
Old 08.08.2017, 05:23 PM   #4676
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
What is this poem?

English dude.

Forget when, although pre-20th Century.

Anyway, dude is riding to see his lover. He picks up his pace because it suddenly occurs to him that she could be dead. Or dying. I forget. That's about it.

Anyone know what the fuck I'm thinking of? It's driving me nuts.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.08.2017, 05:29 PM   #4677
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

not keats is it?

i vaguely remember hold up
Old 08.08.2017, 11:07 PM   #4678
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

dammit, it;s a mental contagion now

give us a clue? any clue?
Old 08.09.2017, 06:53 AM   #4679
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
I think I gave you all the clues I can.

I'm sure I read it in high school. A short poem.

Not Keats. This seemed lighter. A Cavalier poet?

Maybe I dreamed it.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.09.2017, 08:34 AM   #4680
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Really is. I'm sure you were the same in wondering how the fuck do you keep going day after day.

That bit where he talks about a guy who kept counting down the days left til he was free. He'd tell everyone about it then when the day came he was ordered to the, I don't know what you'd call them, wardens office who decided to add another 5 years onto the 10 years he had just done.

If I remember rightly he just goes back to the bunks and his heart just gives out and dies. Man, that was just awful.

Indeed.

The part towards the end where he is sent along with all the Poles that were available to a waiting area where ten or more dead were taken out every morning? horror. the way he describes how people would die solely from being stepped on by people trying to make their way to the shit/piss bucket? That theer were several dozen men in a room 6 x 8 meters? how he crushed a man's face in, killing him in the process, purely by accident? fuck.
184224231232233 234 235236237244284 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth