Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Over-rated films
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.15.2007, 07:35 PM   #61
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
Gone In 60 seconds. Or 8mm. Whichever came first, I didn't feel like pulling up imdb for this.

http://imdb.com/name/nm0000115/

face/off was before that & leaving las vegas was in 1995. may have been earlier... who knows?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 07:36 PM   #62
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Very true about Sideways being overrated, not saying it was god-awful (the more I watch it the more I realize this statement isn't true), but I agree it was severly overrated.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 07:37 PM   #63
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha ha, i actually like his face-- i don't like pretty boy actors, they are annoying. i don't fantasize being a famous actor but if i had to choose to be one it would be him or maybe clive owen, because if i looked like someone like di caprio i would be compelled to mutilate myself.

have you seen his interview in that "inside the actor's studio" show?? he was goddamn brilliant.

I'm a huge fan of his face, I'm sure I've said that before in another thread or two.

I have that interview on tape. I realize that I'm probably revealing a little too much about my fascination with Willem Dafoe, but it was bound to make an appearance sooner or later.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 07:39 PM   #64
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
http://imdb.com/name/nm0000115/

face/off was before that & leaving las vegas was in 1995. may have been earlier... who knows?
Showoff All I know is I miss the days of Raising Arizona.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 07:42 PM   #65
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdTv
Very true about Sideways being overrated, not saying it was god-awful (the more I watch it the more I realize this statement isn't true), but I agree it was severly overrated.

sideways had a great screenplay, but the cinematography was god-awful, looked like it was shot in 16mm. it also had a couple of great actors, what's his name and the other (ha ha)-- no, really, that guy should have won the oscar, he was so excellent. i keep wanting to call him harvey pekar but i know that's not him. the actor who played him. ththhthththt....

--
ps giamatti! paul giamatti-- wonderful job he did
Old 04.15.2007, 07:49 PM   #66
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
sideways had a great screenplay, but the cinematography was god-awful, looked like it was shot in 16mm. it also had a couple of great actors, what's his name and the other (ha ha)-- no, really, that guy should have won the oscar, he was so excellent. i keep wanting to call him harvey pekar but i know that's not him. the actor who played him. ththhthththt....
Paul Giamatti is his name, and I lost respect for him after this movie. It took The Illusionist to win it back. And whoever decided to cast the wacky guy from "Wings"... well, I don't even know what to say about that person. Just die. That's all I can think of.
Old 04.15.2007, 07:50 PM   #67
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ha ha ha , ok, we disagree on that one, o well...
Old 04.15.2007, 07:52 PM   #68
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jico.
nao me fodas. ainda estou para ver isso.....nao teve piada.
who? me?? nao te... fodo??? ha ha ha
Old 04.15.2007, 07:57 PM   #69
afterthefact
invito al cielo

hey, it happens.
Old 04.15.2007, 07:58 PM   #70
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

afterthefact--
i gotta go, but before i have to ask--
what is it that bothered you about giamatti's performance in that movie? (are we talking sideways, right?)
sure he portrayed an unlikeable pathetic fuck, and i sure detested the character, but he was just very good at playing a pathetic fuck, i don't see how he performed poorly in that one. when he steals money from his mothers drawer i am ready to vomit but the acting was great. or so i think anyway.

hm, so i really gotta go but will check back for your comments. seeya.
Old 04.15.2007, 08:04 PM   #71
afterthefact
invito al cielo

I don't know really, Giamatti is always borderline for me anyways. I know a lot of people praise him, but he never really does much for me. I'm not saying that other people are wrong, each persons taste is just different. I think though the fact that I'm not a huge Giamatti fan combined with the fact that this was an easily hatable character just turned me off to him after this, at least for a while. And I do apologize if you searched for my reply only to find this, as opposed to a well thought out criticism, but it's all I got
Old 04.15.2007, 08:59 PM   #72
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think Pulp Fiction is over-rated. Over-quoted and mentioned, yes, but not over-rated.
Old 04.15.2007, 09:04 PM   #73
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I hated Sideways. Not at all a good movie...Grotesquely overrated.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 09:28 PM   #74
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
Let me be the first to say Saving Private Ryan. I just don't get why so many people worship this movie.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2007, 10:16 PM   #75
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Dan Speaks
Let me be the first to say Saving Private Ryan. I just don't get why so many people worship this movie.

I'll agree with you on this.

The series Band of Brothers, although it is produced by the same people as the movie, is infinently better.
Old 04.16.2007, 12:02 AM   #76
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Y tu Mamá Tambien is overrated.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2007, 12:06 AM   #77
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
Y tu Mamá Tambien is overrated.

was it? i think it's quite popular in the same vein as amelie. yet the things i appreciated the most, like the political things that go on in the background, are missed on most audiences i guess. there is this whole context of class & racial differences that i'm not sure everyone picks up on, and that's what makes the movie work really work for me. the characters in themselves are ok, but they don't tell you the whole story. for me at least...
Old 04.16.2007, 12:08 AM   #78
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know it got so much hype, I saw it and was left with a meh. I did not pick up the political thing, but now that you mention it, that does go out throughout the whole movie.
Old 04.16.2007, 12:13 AM   #79
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
I don't know it got so much hype, I saw it and was left with a meh. I did not pick up the political thing, but now that you mention it, that does go out throughout the whole movie.

the social & class differences of the 2 friends reach their climax when the one guy spits on the car window & the other calls him a "naco".

also the "naco" friend's mom is a secretary struggling to make ends meet while the other kid is stinking rich. meanwhile there is all of this social upheaval going while they are both oblivious to it-- oblivious but very much a part of it. the movie is totally incomplete if you don't take this into account.
Old 04.16.2007, 12:15 AM   #80
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

I am trying to remember this. I have a bad memory.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth