Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page fuck you haters, rather ripped is an awesome album
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.04.2009, 07:33 PM   #121
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin_icE
Why don't you quit trying to buy fucking elite? It's a great album, it's different from what they did before, they can't be constantly doing the same album, they'd be AC/DC then. I love Rather Ripped for it's pretty good songs, although it keeps the noise to a minimum, it's still a pretty good and enjoyable record.
And just for you haters: I own it both on CD and vinyl.
I'm not trying to buy elite. I've listened to the samples on iTunes, I've heard four of the songs played live. And noise isn't something necessary for me to enjoy Sonic Youth (I really like Murray Street). There's just so many things I'd rather spend my money on.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2009, 10:02 AM   #122
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
I'm not trying to buy elite. I've listened to the samples on iTunes, I've heard four of the songs played live. And noise isn't something necessary for me to enjoy Sonic Youth (I really like Murray Street). There's just so many things I'd rather spend my money on.

that's right, i took a little while to bought this album also, i've listened samples, songs on the radio ( incinerate was to much promoted ) , or other sources, and didn't make me run to the recordshop. i just bought it almost two years later after his released...anyway i think is a great album and - helen lundberg & turquoise boy - are still my favourite.
diskaholic-anonymous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 01:19 AM   #123
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
It's awful. A few good riffs, and not much more.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 02:22 AM   #124
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
it seems as if most of the SY fans that really dig rather ripped probally havent been into the youth for more than a few years...not necessarily a bad thing, at all.

i just know, for me personally (ive been a fan right around 10 years), its not so much that rather ripped was a bad album, as it was a let down. it felt very "devolved", which bothered me because one of the things ive always loved about the youth is how theyve continuously, throughout their entire career EVOLVED.

I agree generally, though I think "Or" is brilliant and quite evolved. Still, that's just 3 minutes tucked inconspicuously at the end.

I've been fanatical about the band for a quarter century, and I did find this particular record to be a mild let down, particularly coming on the heels of Nurse which was highly evolved. But they've had other bumps in the road and rebounded. Personally, I find EJT&NS to be devolved too (intentionally so even, with songs edited down into Guided By Voices wanna-be sketches when they could have soared), but so what, they followed it with Washing Machine, one of their best albums ever.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 02:38 AM   #125
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I think the "devolve" thing is sort of accurate. However, I don't think it was at all unintentional. It was a natural progression, in one sense, but somehow ended up somewhere behind where they started. They've always run a circuit through anti-pop and borderline-pop, and were bound to cross through the territory covered in RR. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but I'm glad they went the course their progression/regression/whatever did instead of trying to one-up themselves or go straight ahead. It just seems right. They've been circling that way since Murray Street.

RR is not necessarily an attempt at anything, but an inevitable "space" they were approaching, and filled it as always. Just like EJTNS (which I loved, but that's a whole other thing). They're bound to hit some spots that grate against fans, and most of the people I've met recently who "like Sonic Youth" only like Turquoise Boy and Incinerate, so they're doing something right, just not what we wanted.

I also think that Trees Outside was the departure from RR that I expected from SY next. I wonder if that will give the next SY album even more distance.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2009, 02:56 PM   #126
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Rather Ripped is a "meh" album. Interesting at points, but ultimately falls flat.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2009, 10:04 AM   #127
Thin_icE
bad moon rising

Thin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
i dont think theyve ever been the sort of band to continuously do the same album...thats what i like about them, they "evolve". rather ripped just sounded so "devolved" (like i said before)...just my opinion.

i dont think opinions always make one "elite"...also...i dont think everyone has to like everything sonic youth does, just because sonic youth does it. thats just tacky.
You have a right to your opinion, and I never said that one must adore everything SY-related. But one thing is expressing your opinion and other is slaying a good record like RR, it might not be the typical SY record, but it has good songs in it.
To me this situation feels like what went down with Metallica during the Load and Re-Load period, they were heavily crictized for making alternative albums and completely disregard their metal roots, when actually they were taking a step forward and making some decent songs, even though those were not the typical songs one would expect to hear on a Metallica record.
After a few years they give in to the pressure and start to rush back to their roots, what's the result? Fucking shite albums with god awful sound, resulting on tours where they play almost only songs from the Black Album and earlier albums.

It's not like you can compare Metallica and SY (of course SY is THE shit ), but this situation reminds me a lot of what Metallica went through, and I'd rather see the band I love go on a different direction, do something I don't expect them to do, but do it well, rather than giving in to pressures and ending up releasing big piles of real crap.
But that's my two cents.
Thin_icE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2009, 09:30 PM   #128
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
im gonna do a song by song thing here....
  1. "Reena" - 3/5
  2. "Incinerate" - 5/5
  3. "Do You Believe in Rapture?" - 0/5
  4. "Sleepin' Around" - 0/5
  5. "What a Waste" - 2.5/5
  6. "Jams Run Free" - 3/5
  7. "Rats" - 2.5/5
  8. "Turquoise Boy" - 3.5/5
  9. "Lights Out" - 1.5/5
  10. "The Neutral" - 3/5
  11. "Pink Steam" - 5/5
  12. "Or" - 2/5
  1. "Helen Lundeberg" - 0/5
  2. "Eyeliner" - 0/5
few good tunes, not their best, not their worst.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2009, 01:06 AM   #129
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe11121
im gonna do a song by song thing here....
  1. "Reena" - 3/5
  2. "Incinerate" - 5/5
  3. "Do You Believe in Rapture?" - 0/5
  4. "Sleepin' Around" - 0/5
  5. "What a Waste" - 2.5/5
  6. "Jams Run Free" - 3/5
  7. "Rats" - 2.5/5
  8. "Turquoise Boy" - 3.5/5
  9. "Lights Out" - 1.5/5
  10. "The Neutral" - 3/5
  11. "Pink Steam" - 5/5
  12. "Or" - 2/5
  1. "Helen Lundeberg" - 0/5
  2. "Eyeliner" - 0/5
few good tunes, not their best, not their worst.

"sleepin' around" is the worst sonic youth song of all time.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2009, 06:30 AM   #130
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhler

Not even close.

Rather Ripped is incredible.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2009, 11:00 PM   #131
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I agree FULLY
Old 01.25.2009, 05:53 AM   #132
Thin_icE
bad moon rising

Thin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's asses
I give up.
Thin_icE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2009, 08:11 AM   #133
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I'd take Rather Ripped over Experimental Jetset. That's not saying much though...
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2009, 08:54 AM   #134
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin_icE
You have a right to your opinion, and I never said that one must adore everything SY-related. But one thing is expressing your opinion and other is slaying a good record like RR, it might not be the typical SY record, but it has good songs in it.
To me this situation feels like what went down with Metallica during the Load and Re-Load period, they were heavily crictized for making alternative albums and completely disregard their metal roots, when actually they were taking a step forward and making some decent songs, even though those were not the typical songs one would expect to hear on a Metallica record.
After a few years they give in to the pressure and start to rush back to their roots, what's the result? Fucking shite albums with god awful sound, resulting on tours where they play almost only songs from the Black Album and earlier albums.

It's not like you can compare Metallica and SY (of course SY is THE shit ), but this situation reminds me a lot of what Metallica went through, and I'd rather see the band I love go on a different direction, do something I don't expect them to do, but do it well, rather than giving in to pressures and ending up releasing big piles of real crap.
But that's my two cents.

I don't think it has anything to do with Rather Ripped or that any comparison between the situations can be made at all, but those Metallica albums were NOT a step forward. They were steaming piles of shit that demonstrated an aging band out of ideas trying to cash in on the latest commercial trend. What Metallica "went through" was spending a fortune having an on site therapist to hold their hands while they cried like babies for having gone back on everything they stood for as a band outside the mainstream and become a pathetic cartoon who's only interest is in chasing after record sales through marketing schemes (and this goes back to the black album in my opinion).

The situation with Sonic Youth is in no way similar because their core fans have hardly abandonned them or done anything more than noted that the most recent record isn't great like the one before it. That's happened once or twice in the past through their almost thirty years as a band. It isn't really a big deal and doesn't mean the next record won't be incredible.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2009, 09:03 AM   #135
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
you suck, i gotta tell it like it is. can't help it.
hey wait, i had missed this one!!!
and why is that then?
Old 01.25.2009, 12:01 PM   #136
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
And "What a waste" is the worst Kim song of all time.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2009, 09:12 PM   #137
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by HECKLER SPRAY
And "What a waste" is the worst Kim song of all time.

What a waste is a pretty good song. My least favourite is Kim Gordon & the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream
Old 01.26.2009, 05:52 AM   #138
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
^^I tend to disagree.^^
Sorry.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2009, 06:39 AM   #139
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Both songs are good....
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2009, 10:13 AM   #140
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe11121
What a waste is a pretty good song. My least favourite is Kim Gordon & the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream

I fuckin' love the song but hated they had to change it from Mariah Carey & TADHC.

The harmonic pings are very cool ! Who's doin' those? Jim O., Lee or Thurston ?

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth