Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Why won't Europe let Its Muslims Build Mosques?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.10.2010, 01:49 PM   #121
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
oh and suchfriends: europe isn't as racist and close-minded as you seem to think it is. of course, only the extremes reach the media and reach you, but the average belgian doesn't really have a problem with other cultures and religions. only when a religion threatens to overpower our own traditions or rules is when most of us get angry. lately there has been this group called sharia4belgium (littlebrother of the now illegal uk variation) who want belgium to live by the laws of islam-something i can't live with. they have literally said that in their ideal views belgian women should cover themselves, and alcohol should be banned... this has been all over the media, making it sound like muslims were going to take over, even though the majority of the muslim community doesn't want to be associated with these guys.

i personally don't have a problem with islam being practised here. they ccan believe in what they want, as long as i am free to have my own beliefs.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2010, 12:18 AM   #122
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploesj
oh and suchfriends: europe isn't as racist or close-minded as you seem to think. you probably only get the radical voices in your media, just like we usually only get the reports on the radical patriotic americans.w

you misunderstand me completely. I don't think that all of Europe or Europeans are racist, in fact in this regard, I was thinking more of the the few bad apples who are causing all the static and resistance. As with Jon Boy, I think some folks here mistakenly felt I was talking about them when I mention "Europe" and I am not, it is merely a geographic point of reference for those folks who I am referring too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gualbert
I've read some catholic church are being sold in Europe (some old ones too), and turned into nightclubs or housing..

In the meantime, such scenes takes place in Paris, quite frequently it seems:

I do believe a picture speaks volumes in regards to the possible need for more mosques for folks to pray in

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2010, 12:56 AM   #123
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
lets spit. Like afairy.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2010, 12:20 PM   #124
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
you misunderstand me completely. I don't think that all of Europe or Europeans are racist, in fact in this regard, I was thinking more of the the few bad apples who are causing all the static and resistance. As with Jon Boy, I think some folks here mistakenly felt I was talking about them when I mention "Europe" and I am not, it is merely a geographic point of reference for those folks who I am referring too..

I do believe a picture speaks volumes in regards to the possible need for more mosques for folks to pray in

its not that we think your talking about us personaly, its more that your talking about complex issues when you dont really seem to understand what your talking about because you read a few things and your general statements to us appear wrong.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.11.2010, 01:09 PM   #125
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
This seems to be an ongoing issue in Europe. There are quite a few muslims in European countries left-overs from the colonial days and of course a surging refugee population as a result of terrible wars and destruction..

This growing Muslim population in Europe has been trying to legitimize itself in building mosques to accommodate worshipers, and instead many many European communities have resisted and blocked these developments.

Attention Europe, don't you realize that in doing this, you are only further stoking the fires of radicalism, and to further disenfranchise European muslims, being they immigrants or homegrown, will only come to burn Europe in the end?

In the US, people may be racist but the freedom to worship and build places of worship is relatively well-enforced (after all, it has a perk for the government in promoting diversity which can result in division ie, divide and conquer )

cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2010, 03:50 PM   #126
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
this exact shit is going on out in Temecula/Murrieta (not surprising, there are a lot of extreme rightists out there, even a lot of straight KKK and neo-nazis) where the Muslim community there (approx 200 families) is trying to build a large mosque/cultural center on a piece of land they have owned for a decade now.. it is right next to two churches (which to me makes it more than appropriate, clearly it is in the religious district) and would replace the ALREADY EXISTING mosque which is in a converted warehouse building in a crummy industrial park. The people there are fine with a mosque as long as the muslims have to pray in a shitty part of town, but heaven forbid they build a respectable, legitimate place of worship in their own community where they have lived, worked and sent their kids to school for years and years..

the opposition is absurdly claiming fear of terrorism, duh, there has already been a mosque there for years, and newsflash, no terrorists cells operating out of Temecula..
BIGGER NEWS FLASH, the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY OF TERRORIST ACTIVITIES IN THE US HAVE BEEN DOMESTIC, HOMEGROWN, RIGHT-WING AND EVEN CHRISTIAN FANATICS WHO BOMB GOVERNMENT BUILDINGS, ABORTION CLINICS, AND EVEN ASSASSINATE PEOPLE SITTING IN THE MIDDLE OF CHURCH!

it is simple and obvious racism, xenophobia, religious intolerance and bigotry.. I wonder who is instigating all the drama out there..

If there already is a mosque, and already is an establish and accepted muslim community, I just don't understand whats the beef !?

its classic for California, the "Not-In-My-Backyard" (yeah, sure have whatever you want, we got freedom, just don't do it near me or let it affect me in anyway) syndrome and of course the patented Californian "have your cake and eat it too" philosophy (let the muslims have religious freedom but lets highly restrict)

This is by no means a European problem, but I am sure it is much more concentrated there, but in the US we are backwards and ignorant more so than Europeans in general, that is precisely why I made this thread. Honestly, I EXPECT shit like this from americans but it surprises me to see it rather common place in Europe..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth