Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Mission Of Burma extravaganza
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.15.2006, 05:24 AM   #1
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
So, i just got back from the most ridiculous night of my entire summer thus far for sure. I went to see MoB in Brooklyn and by god, they were fucking amazing. Totally blown away. So blown away infact, I had to conjure up my own form of earplugs because i was right in front of Roger Miller's amp and it was LOUD. I stupidly used the first paper i got my hands on and even more stupidly made too small of a plug so it went inside of my ear, out of reach of my fingers to grab it. I was a little worried but thought fuck it because Burma was only into their third song. After the show i decided it was probably stupid to ignore the paper and went to the ER. A doctor removed it at around 4:30 in the morning and preached me the old "Never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow" So of course, i felt like a total jackass.

But on to more important matters. Burma was stunning, the best band i've seen since YLT. They played a little over 20 songs (24 or 25 maybe?) with the encore, a lot of it being old material from Vs. and Signals, Calls and Marches. I don't know the exact setlist but from what I can remember they played about 9 songs off Obliterati, 3 off ONoffON, 6 off Vs., and everything off Signals except Outlaw.

Pictures: http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...%20Of%20Burma/

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2006, 08:47 AM   #2
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
cool dude. I'm trying to check out some of their stuff.

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2006, 10:25 AM   #3
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, that sounds like such an awesome show. The Signals Calls and Marches EP has some of my very favorite Burma songs on it, that's really cool that played almost all of it. Great pics too!
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.15.2006, 12:34 PM   #4
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
gotta love that story too...
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2006, 09:09 PM   #5
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
damn sounds cool, i only got to see burma live once when they filled in for sonic youth but it was still a great show.

What do you think of the obliterati ? i havent had time to hear it yet but i heard it was really good, like better than onoffon even.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 12:05 AM   #6
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Mission of Burma were one of the best bands I have ever seen in my life. I got to see them a few years ago when they filled in for SY in Boston, when SY had to back out of a couple of shows for personal reasons (I think Kim's parent's got sick or something like that). They opened for Wilco, and by God (Hendrix), they rocked the shit out of the place. It was just after they played ATP which I think was the first time they had played together in 22 years, and they kicked my ass!! I think Clint Conley even flew in from Chicago or some such place just to make the show. Long story short, I will never forget that show. As long as I live.

Even better, I got to see them open up for Pixies two years ago after Pixies reunited and played UMass Amherst's Mullins Center. I smoked two fat j's in the parking lot and Dazedcola was on shrooms that night. Then we went in the back of the arena and smoed another fattie while Pixies were on stage in the second act. The lights were going crazy and we were HIGH AS SHIT!!!

Then, after the show we walked around in the parking lot by the Arena near the woods and smoked some more weed. And then we left.

All in all the show rocked our fucking socks off.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 12:08 AM   #7
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Hahaha, sounds like it was awesome. Out of all the pretty awesome bands i've seen this summer, and believe me there's been quite a few, Burma blew them all away. And dazedcola, the obliterati is a fucking great album, a lot better than ONoffON in my opinion. It's almost on the same level as Vs. Thank god Burma is back...

Old 07.19.2006, 12:32 AM   #8
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
Hahaha, sounds like it was awesome. Out of all the pretty awesome bands i've seen this summer, and believe me there's been quite a few, Burma blew them all away. And dazedcola, the obliterati is a fucking great album, a lot better than ONoffON in my opinion. It's almost on the same level as Vs. Thank god Burma is back...

I agree. OnoffOn was a pretty damn good effort that showed a band could break up for two decades and then reunite spontaneously and release a brilliant record, but it fell a little short of the expectations that the bands live material would have lead you to believe. But The Obliterati shows that Mission of Burma is still a force to be reckoned with and when given a little bit of time to hone their songwriting skills, they can still play with the big-boys and put them in their place like they did back in the early 80's.

So I say hell, yeah! 20 more years of Burma!

Old 07.19.2006, 12:44 AM   #9
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I agree. OnoffOn was a pretty damn good effort that showed a band could break up for two decades and then reunite spontaneously and release a brilliant record, but it fell a little short of the expectations that the bands live material would have lead you to believe. But The Obliterati shows that Mission of Burma is still a force to be reckoned with and when given a little bit of time to hone their songwriting skills, they can still play with the big-boys and put them in their place like they did back in the early 80's.

So I say hell, yeah! 20 more years of Burma!
Right on. Please blow out my eardrums again soon, the ER was worth every second.

Old 07.19.2006, 01:00 AM   #10
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

You know it. You know the music is good when the Guitarist has to wear protective earphones.

Old 07.19.2006, 10:45 AM   #11
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
You know it. You know the music is good when the Guitarist has to wear protective earphones.

You know that's actually why they broke up originally. they played so loud that Roger got tinnitus really bad and didn't want to go deaf, so they broke up. That's why he wears the headphones.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.19.2006, 12:35 PM   #12
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax Americana
You know that's actually why they broke up originally. they played so loud that Roger got tinnitus really bad and didn't want to go deaf, so they broke up. That's why he wears the headphones.
Not anymore actually, he just has some fancy earplugs.

Old 07.19.2006, 05:12 PM   #13
LNC
little trouble girl

LNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's assesLNC kicks all y'all's asses
They are Godlike! One of my favorite and just becouse I adore them so bloody much, i'll probably never see them play live couse I live in a crapy part of world. Ou joy!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth