Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Does Religion Kill More Than It Saves the Man ?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.10.2006, 07:17 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
Lee brought up a good question in "karen revisted", what do you think about that phrase ?

I agree with it. Look at all the people that have died and wars that have been fought over religious beliefs. Organized religion is a dangerous thing in my mind. I understand that some people need something to believe in, but with religion comes power which can lead to violence. I think the world would be better without religion and people just living by a set of morals.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 07:20 PM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
religion killed daycare nation's brain. now look at him...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 07:21 PM   #3
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
if all the bullshit that went on in god's name stopped, this world would be nice.
Old 07.10.2006, 07:21 PM   #4
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i must slobber over somebody else before i slobber over schizo again
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 08:00 PM   #5
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Are we graduating from troll-whore-bicker-fest into political-religious-bicker fest?

If so, I guess the devolution has reversed.

I don't think the statement is really something I can agree or disagree with. It is sort of vague.

I think Lee is trying to say something about her attitude. She is very jaded and negative. When I listen to the song, I always think about those girls that have to tell you they are athiest and how much they hate religion everytime God comes up in conversation. Then they recite the rhetoric they have read in their books that they read to seem intelligent. Like the issue of belief versus athiesm is not dependent on just themselves, but on the whole world.

Does that make sense?
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 08:18 PM   #6
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Mankind kills more than it saves man.

Organized religion is an extremely broad concept, as there are many that have truly stood for peace and done so successfully, many that stood for peace but failed to bring it about, and many that stood for peace and achieved the opposite. Religions that actually set out to kill man are few and far between; unless you're witty and satirical - then of course anything can be made to seem so. Religion itself is not the problem, it's people involved in it. And those people don't need religion to do it. It's just a simple catalyst. Especially if you believe religion is myth - then it's obviously something that mankind is naturally drawn to.

But how can anyone believe something because it makes them feel better? That's not believing, that's deluding. If I tell myself that I'm going to survive this plane crash to make myself feel better about it, that isn't actually believing that I'm going to survive - that's keeping my mind off of reality. I still know I'm probably going to die. I don't believe in religion because it makes me feel good - it doesn't. I believe in it because it makes sense.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 08:22 PM   #7
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
opinions kill men.
Old 07.10.2006, 08:27 PM   #8
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Mankind kills more than it saves man.

Organized religion is an extremely broad concept, as there are many that have truly stood for peace and done so successfully, many that stood for peace but failed to bring it about, and many that stood for peace and achieved the opposite. Religions that actually set out to kill man are few and far between; unless you're witty and satirical - then of course anything can be made to seem so. Religion itself is not the problem, it's people involved in it. And those people don't need religion to do it. It's just a simple catalyst. Especially if you believe religion is myth - then it's obviously something that mankind is naturally drawn to.

But how can anyone believe something because it makes them feel better? That's not believing, that's deluding. If I tell myself that I'm going to survive this plane crash to make myself feel better about it, that isn't actually believing that I'm going to survive - that's keeping my mind off of reality. I still know I'm probably going to die. I don't believe in religion because it makes me feel good - it doesn't. I believe in it because it makes sense.

Well put.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 08:39 PM   #9
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
It kills the part of the man that deserves to die.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 08:40 PM   #10
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
What kind of man deserves to die?
Old 07.10.2006, 08:41 PM   #11
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't say that...I said it kills that "part" of the man which deserves to die.

Old 07.10.2006, 08:43 PM   #12
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

Which part of man deserves to die?
Old 07.10.2006, 08:44 PM   #13
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

It kills the lower self, which to most people may look like it kills more than it saves. But to the one who is saved, they are in fact dead to their old selves....

It doesn't happen all at once, it a process of growing closer to God, widening one's awareness, and allowing the false sense of "separation and divisiveness" to disappear...

Which means someday I won't stoop to the level of people who attack me on message boards....but in the meantime I am imperfect.

Old 07.10.2006, 08:52 PM   #14
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

Shedding your old, imperfect self, for a new perfect self, seems like using religion as a way to 'feel good'.
What's an imperfection, though?
According to the bible, man became imperfect when Adam and Eve ate the apple, right?
Man became imperfect when it consulted it's conscience.
Old 07.10.2006, 08:59 PM   #15
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Confronting one's own faults is not "feeling good." It is realizing that one is not living up to the commandment to "love your neighbor as yourself." If by "feeling good" you mean being righteous, then I agree. Righteousness means having the right relationship to God, the world and one's self. I don't believe in original sin. I believe in karma.

Old 07.10.2006, 09:13 PM   #16
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
there are beautiful people in all religions, there are also evil violent people in all religions, it is not the religions it is the people. as to the world being better without religion and people just living by a set of morals (who makes the morals then, do you?) ... forget about it, this is never going to happen so forget about any utopian dreams of planet earth. we live in dystopia, we always have and always will, humans will never know peace. we must live in reality and not use certain practices as scapegoats for all of the worlds ills because it is ignorant. this is not a personal attack dazedcola just rational thought.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 09:23 PM   #17
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
my friend walked in the woods yesterday and burned all his religious stuff in his room: a bible, a framed photo of jesus, a rosemary. It must have been a beautiful fire...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2006, 09:43 PM   #18
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

You mean a Rosary.

Old 07.10.2006, 09:47 PM   #19
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Jesus Saves
by shopping at Wal-Mart
Everyday low prices, guaranteed!
Old 07.10.2006, 09:49 PM   #20
Daddylikes
the end of the ugly

Daddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's assesDaddylikes kicks all y'all's asses
HOLY SHIT

HAHA THAT IS SO FUNNY.

Man, Cantankerous. You should take that act on the road.

Besides, everyone knows that Jesus does his savings shopping at Costco.
Daddylikes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth