Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Smiths....are good?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.25.2010, 09:45 AM   #21
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Smiths meant a lot to me at the time. I can still enjoy them but they really were one of those bands that related directly to their moment and, now that moment has gone, don't really offer much.

I'd still say The Queen is Dead is a great album though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2010, 10:34 AM   #22
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I dont understand people disliking Morrissey just because he can be a bit flouncey-mouncey-look-at-megladioli-y. The repetitive nature of his subject matter is a good enough reason, as well as the shocking spawn of underachieving indie lyricists he spawned. But when the Smiths do it right, like on Headmaster Ritual or Handsome Devil, they do it the best.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2010, 11:59 AM   #23
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Well he has just this high self image and playing while wearin the union jack wasn't that fine also.

To me the smiths are one of my favorite bands, I slowly grown to them. I might not be that hip or cool to like them(so many people do) but yeah, I can write 3 pages peices about their debut alone.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2010, 12:06 PM   #24
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I fucking love the Smiths. I fucking love Morrisssey as well.
Probably the single greatest lyricist of the last 20 years.

I love all the smiths albums.

Louder than bombs is rather long (double album) for a smiths newbie. I would go with Queen Is Dead or Strangeways Here We Come.

They all rule. Smiths rule. The Moz rules.

(in most every song he is either making fun of someone or making fun of himself. too many people read just the surface of his lyrics and think he is just a whiney bitch)
Old 01.25.2010, 12:08 PM   #25
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I fucking love the Smiths. I fucking love Morrisssey as well.
Probably the single greatest lyricist of the last 20 years.

I love all the smiths albums.

Louder than bombs is rather long (double album) for a smiths newbie. I would go with Queen Is Dead or Strangeways Here We Come.

They all rule. Smiths rule. The Moz rules.

(in most every song he is either making fun of someone or making fun of himself. too many people read just the surface of his lyrics and think he is just a whiney bitch)
Oh yes rob, it is. Well louder then bombs is really the best smiths album, I mean it has all those singles which I will forever cherish
Old 01.25.2010, 12:16 PM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
The Smiths were a "singles" band, which is ratrher meaningless these days.
Old 01.25.2010, 12:19 PM   #27
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

Well it makes louder then bombs my most turned album ever.
Old 01.25.2010, 12:22 PM   #28
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
Count me in on loving the Smiths too! Just really musical I think, the melodies are great, the musicians are fantastic.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2010, 12:26 PM   #29
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by loubarret
Well he has just this high self image and playing while wearin the union jack wasn't that fine also.

To me the smiths are one of my favorite bands, I slowly grown to them. I might not be that hip or cool to like them(so many people do) but yeah, I can write 3 pages peices about their debut alone.

I think the union jack thing was meant to be a bit of satire, seeing as he is the embodiment of non-assertiveness and pessimism and nationalist groups always adopt a masculine front to hide their insecurities, but i understand why it didnt come off for some people.

The self image thing applies to every musician ever, seeing as its just an outlet for the artists ego anyway

Old 01.25.2010, 12:27 PM   #30
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Probably the single greatest lyricist of the last 20 years

There are entire continents between that and the correct answer

Old 01.25.2010, 12:37 PM   #31
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

who would you suggest?
Old 01.25.2010, 12:38 PM   #32
ricechex
the destroyed room

ricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's assesricechex kicks all y'all's asses
I would think he's one of the best anyways. Great lyrics are extremely hard to find. When you think about it 95% of bands have crap lyrics, not enough lyrics, or write extremely vague lyrics that don't mean a damn thing. Not wth Morrissey. They might all be depressing, but as i have said, he has a million ways to say something.

ricechex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2010, 12:48 PM   #33
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
who would you suggest?

Not that i think Morrissey is bad, i just think he only nails it occasionally. People who are consistently interesting impress me more.
Mark E Smith is obviously the man when it comes to lyrics
Lee Ranaldo, underrated by all outside our little clique
Graham Lambkin/whoever writes lyrics for The Shadow Ring.
Richey Edwards

(very anglocentric i know, but excellent nonetheless)

Old 01.25.2010, 12:56 PM   #34
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
the smits were an incredible band. the debut, meat is murder, queen is dead and to a lesser extent strangeways are excellent. morrissey solo is poor fare for certain.
im amazed at the anti smithsness here.....actually yknow, im not!
Old 01.25.2010, 01:26 PM   #35
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I met Johnny Marr last week at a Cribs gig. Forgot to ask him if any Smiths remasters are coming out. I would start with Hatful of Hollow.

That is my favorite...
Old 01.25.2010, 01:27 PM   #36
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
I met Johnny Marr last week at a Cribs gig. Forgot to ask him if any Smiths remasters are coming out. I would start with Hatful of Hollow.

That is my favorite...

definitely the best one i own

Old 01.25.2010, 02:14 PM   #37
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
I've always been repulsed by anything related to Morissey..

Anyone else get into them by accident when you realized morissey isnt an annoyingly anal prick all the time?

Im from LA, the Morissey crowd is literaly the most god-awful, guady, lame crowd in town! Plus, there are thousands of mexican grandmas crying over rosary prayers for their little Mijos for wearing eye-liner and all black from the feet up..

personally, there is some edgy guitar riffs I have heard some smiths tunes but I was turned off so much by the other musical aspects that I could not even enjoy it, despite how good I will admit those guitar licks actually are.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2010, 02:21 PM   #38
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Im from LA, the Morissey crowd is literaly the most god-awful, guady, lame crowd in town! Plus, there are thousands of mexican grandmas crying over rosary prayers for their little Mijos for wearing eye-liner and all black from the feet up..

personally, there is some edgy guitar riffs I have heard some smiths tunes but I was turned off so much by the other musical aspects that I could not even enjoy it, despite how good I will admit those guitar licks actually are.

My god yes I hate those fuckers.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2010, 02:24 PM   #39
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by static-harmony
My god yes I hate those fuckers.

exactly!!! I also have to accept that my favorite lyricist (Chino from deftones) took much of his style from Morissey.. I like Chino's version better, plus if Smiths were as heavy as deftones i might be able to get into them but I abhor 80s sound unless its roots reggae

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2010, 05:25 PM   #40
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i love the smiths again. i went for a phase when i wasnt into the smiths but that was my "I only wear cut off denim jackets and leather and refuse to listen to anything that isnt black flag, royal trux, or noise" phase.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth