Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Sonic Youth have made some great music
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.04.2007, 07:46 AM   #41
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
off the top of my head (without the music to remind me):

- the fucked up part of Shadow of a Doubt (bloopy guitar parts also amazing)
- the groovy, lurching end of In The Kingdom #19
- all of Marilyn Moore
- the slowed down, heavy flange end of Schizophrenia... always wish they expanded on that
- the freak out part in Candle
- all of Kim's vocals on Sympathy for the Strawberry

I know there's more but this'll have to do
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 06:04 PM   #42
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Id just like to add the end of Hey Joni - most unexpected end to a song ive ever heard, and its kinda like being woken up from a dream by having a bucket of ice water poured over your face.... slowly.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 06:06 PM   #43
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Id just like to add the end of Hey Joni - most unexpected end to a song ive ever heard, and its kinda like being woken up from a dream by having a bucket of ice water poured over your face.... slowly.

Lee's "kick it!" shout in that song has to be one of the most rock and roll moments in SY's discography.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 06:24 PM   #44
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Lee's "kick it!" shout in that song has to be one of the most rock and roll moments in SY's discography.

aaaaah im so excited. The "its 1963... etc" bit was one of the first things i clicked with in Daydream Nation.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 06:29 PM   #45
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Haha. Not long now before we all find the meaning of our existence..
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2007, 06:35 PM   #46
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
The noisy intro to Ghost Bitch
The beginning of Teenage Riot
When the riff changes in Hey Joni (the "kick it!" part)
The jam in Silver Rocket
All of Beauty is in the Eye
The gong guitars at the start of Burning Spear

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2007, 01:42 AM   #47
something
bad moon rising

something kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's asses
the ultra hip up tempo drum bit in the last 1-1 1/2 minute of 100%

http://www.myspace.com/usedtoaster
something is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2007, 04:52 PM   #48
syntax-free
bad moon rising

syntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's asses
- in diamond sea, when the guitar solo starts
- the beginning of wish fullfillment
- the first few seconds of i got a catholic block
- the way thurston says 'dissapearer'
- all of schizophrenia
- when kim sings in titanium expose
- when thurston says 'i got dirty boots baby'
- the whole empty page
- the emotions in pink steam (without the words)
- youth against fascism 'yeah the president sucks, he's a war pig fuck'
- 100 per cent; all of it amazing
syntax-free is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2007, 04:53 PM   #49
syntax-free
bad moon rising

syntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's assessyntax-free kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
The noisy intro to Ghost Bitch
The beginning of Teenage Riot
When the riff changes in Hey Joni (the "kick it!" part)
The jam in Silver Rocket
All of Beauty is in the Eye
The gong guitars at the start of Burning Spear

yess! i love the beginning to teenage riot
syntax-free is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2007, 07:34 AM   #50
purplebumblebee
bad moon rising

purplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's asses
The whole of Death to Our Friends and the last 30 seconds or so in Thought Bubbles off the Made in USA soundtrack, oh the chimes the chimes, ah
Old 07.22.2007, 03:10 PM   #51
iminsane
little trouble girl

iminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud ofiminsane has much to be proud of
-"tuff gnarl" in its entirety
-the last minute or so of "panty lies"
-the guitar in the beginning of "confusion is next"
-noise jam in "sunday"
-kim's vocal performance in "nevermind(what was it anyway)"
-the part after the noise jam in "total trash" when the riff comes back
-lee's beautiful poetry in "skip tracer"
-the middle of "pipeline/kill time"
-everything about "sweet shine"
-the riff in "or" at about 0:24 and 2:42
-"the neutral"
-in "washing machine", right after kim says "i looked up", the squeal that the guitar makes
-the spoken part in "quest for the cup"
-"star power"
iminsane is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2007, 03:23 PM   #52
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Great, great thread! Welcome Crystal!

Here are some moments for me:
-The drum stick on guitar work on I Love Her All The Time
-the frantic pace of Kill Yr Idols toward the end
-Candle, the complete song
-Trilogy, completey and too much for words
-Kim's vocals and Thurston's bass on Making The Nature Scene
-the trem parts in Mary-Christ
-Lee's real scream in In The Kingdom #19

tons more, but those are for another day
Old 07.22.2007, 03:23 PM   #53
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by something
the ultra hip up tempo drum bit in the last 1-1 1/2 minute of 100%
The drum solo part befrore the bass solo?

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 12:17 AM   #54
total-trash
children of satan

total-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's assestotal-trash kicks all y'all's asses
- lyrics to eric's trip have always made me happy.specially when he says "can you dig it'
- ALL of JC
- the way kim says "take off your dress" "shake of your flesh" in shaking hell
total-trash is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 04:24 AM   #55
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
For me these are the greatest sonic moments:

- Shadow of a Doubt
- the groove in "The World Looks Red"
- Skip Tracer with the greatest lyrics ever
- "Spirit desire...we will follow"
- the haunted atmosphere in "Side2Side"
- opening drum beat in "Schizophrenia" ... an absolute splendid way to start an album
- Kissability and Hey Joni
- all of "Secret girl", especially the beginning with the railroad-like sounds
- NYC Ghosts&Flowers (the song) live
- the opening riff and generally upbeat mood of "The Empty Page"
- "Coming down / Sadie I love it !!!"

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 04:28 AM   #56
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself

Danny, your signature picture is lovely. I can't stop looking at it.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 05:50 AM   #57
Malcolm81
little trouble girl

Malcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's assesMalcolm81 kicks all y'all's asses
- The way the music changes about 1 minute into No Queen Blues, and Thurston starts singing
- The wonderful interplay of the guitars when Washing Machine's instrumental part begins, and the guitar solo that follows
- All of Stereo Sanctity
- The guitars during the last verse/chorus of Kissability
- All the guitar noise and especially the high-pitched sounds in Diamond Sea's coda
- The way the guitars and drums sound in Murray Street
- The mesmerizing quality of "I love her all the time"
Malcolm81 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2007, 10:12 PM   #58
koolthing78
bad moon rising

koolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asseskoolthing78 kicks all y'all's asses
Sooooooo many, but I don't feel like going through all my albums right now, so I'll just do a few:

-"Schizophrenia," "Sweet Shine" and "Jams Run Free" in their entirety
-The way the guitars in the middle of "Starpower" sound like some primal beast coming alive (plus the gong sounds at the end)
-The two screeching guitars at the the end of "Stereo Sanctity," how they start off in unison, then separate, which always makes them sound alive and somewhat demonic
-The end of "Cross the Breeze" where it feels like you're floating up
-Noisy section in "Becuz" (I always sing along, though most people don't even think they're playing music at that point)
-The myriad of little sonic details in "Rats," like how the super fuzzed-out guitar is actually playing discernable notes that complement the music, if you listen really close (especially in the last verse/chorus)
-The last minute or two of "What a Waste" (the more you listen to it, the weirder it gets)

Also, last night I smoked weed and listened to EJSTANS for the the first time in that condition (even though it was the first SY album I bought), and I was pretty much blown away by every song. (Like, I had never really paid attention to the "Boom... Owww..." part in "Screaming Skull," but that just tickled me pink, to the point where I was cheering and laughing).
koolthing78 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth