Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lee #2, the story behind the song?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.30.2009, 04:12 AM   #1
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
What's the story behind "Lee #2"? The first time I heard it was on "100% Rebel" titled "Notorious Rockin' Lee". I thought it was special, and now the version on the Goo Deluxe w/ vocal is great! This has got to be one of SY's most catchy melodies... why was it never thrown in the mix along w/ album's of the time, like Goo? Anyone know about this song?

When I first heard it (on Rebel) I thought it was a cover... I don't know, maybe because it was played when they played the Beach Boy's "I know there's an answer". Now, hearing it w/ the Goo b-sides, seems all original... contrived at the time of Goo? Sorry, I don't have the Goo Deluxe insert so can't read the info on it, if it even has it....

anyone?
FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2009, 04:20 AM   #2
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Part of the Goodbye Twentieth Century book deals with this song, as well as Genetic. Apparently it was pretty much fully formed by Lee, and Thurston and Kim don't really like putting that much effort into something not their own, or something already completed, so it was left off Goo. Lee also said it didn't really go anywhere. It also led up to the big Genetic debate, where Lee was almost considering leaving SY.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2009, 07:18 AM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
yes. And both of those songs are great. Would have fit great on Goo and Dirty respectively. But whatevs. The past is the past. Hindsight and so on.

Hey where's that Lee singer-songwriter Ecstatic Peace! album?*

*one millionth time asked on this forum.
Old 07.30.2009, 07:23 AM   #4
dasx
children of satan

dasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Hey where's that Lee singer-songwriter Ecstatic Peace! album?

Yeah, that's what I'm waiting for!
dasx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2009, 07:26 AM   #5
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
in all honesty, I think it's pretty stupid on behalf of a band to reject a fully formed song coming from one member. it adds up to the band's reputation as a team of good songwriters, and it's got to be said that GENETIC is one of the best fucking songs coming from SY.
Old 07.30.2009, 08:10 AM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, but I think it's sort of become like an SY song is one that all members contribute to. And fully formed songs be each individual get used for solo projects.
Old 07.30.2009, 09:26 AM   #7
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
Part of the Goodbye Twentieth Century book deals with this song, as well as Genetic. Apparently it was pretty much fully formed by Lee, and Thurston and Kim don't really like putting that much effort into something not their own, or something already completed, so it was left off Goo. Lee also said it didn't really go anywhere. It also led up to the big Genetic debate, where Lee was almost considering leaving SY.

Really? Never heard about that one before!

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2009, 09:29 AM   #8
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I'd say that the 4 elements that combined on EVOL are integral to the band's sound. That's pretty f'ing obvious.

but if they all died, and their brains were put into robot bodies, and those robots made albums as Sonic Youth... I'd still buy those albums.
Old 07.30.2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden

hilarious. guess their minds changed 10 years later when thurston began bringing in half a record's worth of fully formed songs.

i always thought it was lame that thurston put zero effort into the bassline to "lee #2", almost going so far as to ruin the song (not saying deliberately, but it doesn't shock me that they removed the bass completely on the deluxe edition version).
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2009, 01:24 PM   #10
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
hilarious. guess their minds changed 10 years later when thurston began bringing in half a record's worth of fully formed songs.

I purposely left this observation out of my own posts because, well, MURRAY STREET is so f'ing good.
Old 07.30.2009, 07:05 PM   #11
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the near Lee hiatus, but it doesn't surprise me. I glad it didn't happen though. They all deserve each other, just as we appreciate each's contributions.

Nothing wrong w/ Lee putting together material on the side though. It could be just as interesting as the full bands collabs.

When I've played music with others, I've never had an interest in playing to completely arranged songs.... and on the same note, never imposed completely arranged pieces to others as well..... I've kept them to myself. I can see that. But damn, Lee's shown he's got it together too!
FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth