Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.23.2012, 07:31 PM   #15501
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
Watched a whole slew of amazing movies...

Chris Marker's
La Jetée (Iconic! ah! and ISIS used images from this for some of their artwork)
&
Sans Soleil (Relaxing and zen)

Chan-Wook Park's
Oldboy (I finally saw it! Worth its weight in gold! I think Mr. Vengeance is even better, but its a trilogy, so its one entity in my books)

Yasujirô Ozu's Tokyo Story

John Cassavetes's A Woman Under The Influence
Gena Rowlands with the performance of a lifetime, this even interested my braindead MTV loving sister

Goodbye Lenin!
Been meaning to watch this for ages since its soundtrack by Yann Tiersen. My University had it for rent so finally sat down and watched it! A real keeper this one. Germany indie film gold.

Carlos Saura's Cría cuervos
Ana Torrent rules. I prefer this over Beehive, I felt more captivated to the story and characters.

Luis Buñuel's The Exterminating Angle
Spanish, from the 1960's, and awesome.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2012, 08:10 PM   #15502
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
i hadn't seen paprika, i don't watch all that much anime and just found out about perfect blue and checked it out right away,reminds me a lot of dario argento's the stendahl syndrome.

i'll try see that paprika sometime

i downloaded movie #150 of that list thing so that's my next watch, also i got this john wayne collection thing and still need to watch one more, the sons of katie elder
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2012, 09:13 PM   #15503
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Coming from someone who has barely any interest in anime, Paprika is a great watch.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.23.2012, 11:24 PM   #15504
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Funhouse is such a massively underrated horror movie, IMO. I think people felt let down because it felt a bit lightweight after Texas Chainsaw Massacre . It isn't as intense but that's not to say it doesn't have a unique force of its own. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a big influence on Rob Zombie's House of a Thousand Corpses.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2012, 12:21 AM   #15505
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Love Satoshi Kon's work. Both "Perfect Blue" and "Paprika" are fantastic. I already own "Paprika", but do need to get "Perfect Blue" at some point.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2012, 04:25 AM   #15506
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
I could watch "cheesy" Ed Wood movies all day and everyone I've ever known who has spoken of him thinks he is one of the worse directors to ever live. I don't even enjoy him strictly for the "so bad it's good" appeal... I truly think some of his movies have a lot of artistic value.

I couldn't agree more. They're technically inept but they have what I can only describe as a spirit to them which transcends all of that. They're like a force of nature. Have you read Rudolph Grey's book about him? Amazing stuff.
Old 03.24.2012, 06:36 AM   #15507
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.24.2012, 01:32 PM   #15508
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
no but I'd love to. I also think the movie "Ed Wood" is one of tim burtons best films... especially if you watch a few of woods' classics beforehand to refresh your memory. That's cool that you liked Funhouse too! I personally enjoyed it more than Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Even to this day TCM has this agonizing and disturbing quality to it. I'd say it's worth watching if only for the scene where the victim is tied to a chair and Leatherface serves dinner dressed as a woman. It is a very flawed movie as well, in my opinion. I think the pacing was a bit off. But then again I feel the same way about many "classic" slashers like friday the 13th and halloween. Maybe it isn't really my thing.

I have to admit that I think TCM is a real masterpiece, but it does seem to divide a lot of people. I love how Funhouse starts out almost as a kind of comedy before descending into something that's almost as disturbing as TCM. The bit where the girl is pleading with the monster really reminds me of the bit you describe around the dinner table in TCM.

If you're a Wood fan, you really must try and track down the Rudolph Grey book. It goes way beyond the usual stuff about his angora sweaters to go into loads about his whole circle, much of which was even more interesting and eccentric than Wood himself. The bits on Criswell are particularly amazing and, in their way, quite inspiring.
Old 03.25.2012, 04:14 PM   #15509
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2012, 01:31 AM   #15510
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Thanks for the compliment. Needless to say I enjoy your posts here, too.

I only really like a handfull of Woody Allen films, roughly those from Annie Hall through to Hannah and Her Sisters. For me, though, even that period is a bit inconsistent, and I'd definitely put Stardust Memories as one of his lesser ones. It's a while since I last saw it, but it does seem more like a tribute to loads of other films, rather than a substantial one in its own right. The intro is definitely a homage to 8 1/2 and there are other references to Bergman and some others in it.

Regarding Ed Wood, I think there are far worse filmmakers than him, they just have better technical staff. Wood was working with fellow amateurs on a shoestring. But that's not so different from a lot of punk bands, and you'd rarely hear people dismissing punk as being simply 'so bad it's good', at least not nowadays. It's a shame that while fans of almost every other art form have embraced a quite open attitude to ideas of quality, film fans on the whole still seem hung up on a really quite rigid idea of it. Ed Wood never made a film as 'bad' as say Transformers 2 but Michael Bay will never be written off or ghettoised in the way that Ed Wood has simply because on the surface Bay's films look expensive and polished. Imagine where we'd be if that were applied to music: wall to wall Meat Loaf.
Old 03.26.2012, 01:28 PM   #15511
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

6/10

8/10
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.26.2012, 04:42 PM   #15512
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
hungarian dvd release of the film.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.27.2012, 07:46 PM   #15513
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I don't think I've ever actually seen 12 Angry Men, even though I've somehow managed to convince myself that I have.

Just watched ...

Bicycle Thieves

The real joy of watching this again was seeing it with someone who'd not seen it before and loved it every bit as much as I'd hoped. It's as much the cliched 'great' film as Citizen Kane, I suppose, but where I appreciate and respect Kane I've never been able to love it in the way that I do Bicycle Thieves. I put it up there with My Darling Clementine as not just 'great' cinema, but the kind I seem able to watch at any time, regardless of mood and just wallow in it. One of the few what I'd describe as truly beautiful films.
Old 03.28.2012, 07:03 AM   #15514
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses

me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2012, 07:26 AM   #15515
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
^ ??
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2012, 11:14 PM   #15516
startur
bad moon rising

startur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's assesstartur kicks all y'all's asses

nutty

see it in a town near you http://www.everythingisterrible.com/...ewoochiez.html
startur is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2012, 10:29 AM   #15517
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Return of the Living Dead

It may not be the best horror film, or even the best zombie movie, but it's probably the most fun. Zombies that actually look disgusting, some real laugh out loud moments, an almost constantly nude Linnea Quigley, and The Cramps, TSOL and 45 Grave on the soundtrack. Stupid in the best possible way. I know Noisereductions is a massive fan.
Old 03.29.2012, 12:53 PM   #15518
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

such a simple film, yet I've seen it a dozen times without getting bored. Put Lumet and Henry Fonda together and you're guaranteed a masterpiece. I really like these types of films for their simplicity... James Foley's Glengarry Glen Ross is next.

GG Ross is a great movie
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2012, 03:55 PM   #15519
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
^ ??

Hosoda Mamoru's "Summer Wars". Excellent anime film, but maybe only for anime fans, I wouldn't say it has much crossover to non-anime fans. But then again Hosoda-san's "Girl Who Leapt Through Time" is a quite popular and mainstream anime film. Anyways, I love both.

Just found that J.Spaceman and the Sun City Girl soundtracked Korine's "Mister Lonely"?!!?!!?!!! Damn I have to hear AND see this film!
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2012, 04:50 PM   #15520
gast30
invito al cielo

gast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

after i seen this movie i wanted a leathersnake jacket
wanted to flow the cool niclas cage way

euuhhh
the movie i have seen today was soo shit that i watched it half
gast30 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
676726766773774775 776 7777787797868268761276 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth