Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page guitarist: suggestion = Ebow
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2010, 02:19 PM   #21
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
ha ha ha ha haha thats really dumb to be asserting on the SONIC YOUTH board!

Not really... think about the use of effects throughout SY's career and you will see what I mean.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2010, 03:24 PM   #22
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
uh sonic youth started using effects pedals at least as early as 1987 or maybe 1986, especially Lee... Thurston was probably more reluctant until about the Goo period. so sonic youth have been using effects much longer than they haven't, i think for me some of it can be assumed that they went as far as they thought they could go soundwise/songwise without effects pedals from about 1981 thru 1986 by strictly using pure volume, alternate tunings and various implements (screwdrivers and drumsticks...etc)... there is the much debated "best era of SY" which could coincide with their use/non-use of effects units.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2010, 03:38 PM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Isn't there a wah on the recorded Burning Spear? On a power drill, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2010, 03:42 PM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
thats a very good point about seeing a musician live and your example of John Butcher is a very good example, i think he is great as well and doesn't come across nearly as well on record than in a live situation (i've seen him twice)... maybe Rowe i would have a refound appreciation for if i were to ever see him live.

That's true of so many of those musicians - I have quite a lot of London improv stuff from the last 40 years or so (say free to lower-case) stuff on CD and so little of it works except live. I suppose it's for that reason I'd still like to see Mattin live, in spite of only ever really enjoying his Sakada stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2010, 05:08 PM   #25
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcKRbRySOuk
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2010, 10:38 PM   #26
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
That's true of so many of those musicians - I have quite a lot of London improv stuff from the last 40 years or so (say free to lower-case) stuff on CD and so little of it works except live. I suppose it's for that reason I'd still like to see Mattin live, in spite of only ever really enjoying his Sakada stuff.

I saw Mattin once in a one-time trio format this was uh maybe 5 years ago at least (i think) with Tim Barnes and Tony Conrad... kinda a weird set and show, i recorded it for them but because of intense volume of Mattin and the Tim and Tony trying to also obtain the same level my recording turned into mud and the set in general was kinda "off", they definitely had potential but i don't think they ever played again together...

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth